First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry this happened, but I agree with the other posters that an extended warranty doesn't cover everything. I would have thought that the 36k warranty would cover this, but I am not sure I have all the facts.
I would have at least had a chance to get denied for other reasons.

Factory 3/36 warranty also would have denied this. Ford released a GSB (General service bulletin) recently that shows multiple pictures and examples of top failures. Cracks like this are considered non-warrantable.
Exactly, I saw that bulletin around the time mine failed and knew that any chance of it being covered was essentially 0.

For the people who think that Ford is going to have to replace them in a year or two, think again. Ford has been denying more claims than they have been accepting. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that they reject more than 90% of defective roof claims.

@Ford Motor Company is noticeably absent from the discussion... LOL šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Exactly, I saw that bulletin around the time mine failed and knew that any chance of it being covered was essentially 0.

For the people who think that Ford is going to have to replace them in a year or two, think again. Ford has been denying more claims than they have been accepting. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that they reject more than 90% of defective roof claims.

I wonder why they wouldnā€™t cover a known issue? Are they saying itā€™s user error?

fordbroncoguy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150,Explorer, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
I fail to see how this is fords fault. Also, extended warranties donā€™t cover every single part of the vehicle, they arenā€™t bumper to bumper. You shouldā€™ve already known what was and wasnā€™t covered before you bought it.
Mine looks the same and at no point did so think to claim it on a warranty, ESPECIALLY an extended warranty. Is it a poor design, absolutely. But that why you have to be careful when putting the top back on. Iā€™ve since built a hoist to slowly put it back on.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is some serious B.S. I have a extended warranty on the my Bronco (150k miles). Last month, I pulled up my hardtop to put in additional weather stripping (rather than complaining about the hideous top in the first place - just shy of 36k miles) and the damn top ended up cracking severely.

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

(this happened before re-installing the MIC top, but all fasteners were torqued to manufacturers speciation with a torque wrench).

Ya, apparently, that's not even likely to be accepted under the warranty anyway. It was never dropped, never off the Bronco, and only moved a few inches back to add additional weather stripping.

So, knowing that they might refuse to warranty it for being dropped, I still brought it in to the dealer. The dealer, while polite, courteous, and friendly looked to see if it was even a covered item under ESP. It isn't!

F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.

So, for anyone thinking that Ford will stand behind this obviously defective top unless forced at gun point, they won't.

I hope my motor shells out at 149,975 miles. I want to see Ford eat a bag of sausages.

Also, my Sync 4 system still isn't updating, but they "might" be able to get me in for service in late November. You can get military mental health appointments faster than that. WTF @Ford Motor Company.

Sure am happy I got an extended warranty plan... The basic warranty didn't even last a year (for a non-moving part clearly not affected by mileage) and the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).
Mark, I can't tell from your photo where your trim crack is? Would you do a wide view photo?

You may remember I broke off a corner of my front MIC panel by blowing it off the roof due to forgetting to latch it. I was able to repair with epoxy and carbon filler, but color matching was, and would be very difficult. Hopefully you can find pieces from totalled Broncos in time.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Call me crazy but I fell like we should be able to set the tops on the floor and not worry about this. Dumb video in the manual says place it on a "soft surface". Not sure that would do much.

Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base

Off topic, but how did your Milestar Patagonia's hold up? With 43K on your Bronco I assume you have either replaced them or they should be getting a little thin.

Bruzer22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't know those locator posts were removable. I'll be taking those off.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is a weak point and a design issue. It will be a common problem as time goes on. The alignment pins will torque that flimsy plastic and it will eventually crack. :mad:

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What I'm learning from this thread is that I should definitely absolutely obviously be willing to pay someone $8-9,000 to buy their used MIC top.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.
What a garbage excuse. This isn't a "trim piece." It's a structural part of the top that connects it to the body of the vehicle. Ford knows this is going to be a widespread issue over time and are making preemptive moves to avoid blame.

Sponsored

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IMG_20221020_064735.jpg

The arrow shows where the crack started. The weight of the top on guide pin resulted in the top shearing along the weak area between the two holes.
I have thoughts and since no one asked Iā€™ll provide them.

1)This does seem like a design flaw, if you want to put the hard top down on a flat surface itā€™s gonna put pressure on each of those pins and any off camber on those pins is gonna cause some sheer stress. Iā€™ve seen at least one other example on here @McBronc of basically the same thing. The 2 door roof weighs about ~80 lbs total and Iā€™d guess most of the weight is towards the back pins nearest the glass. Either the whole thing needs to be stronger or the pin system needs to be redesigned.

2) Iā€™d agree with most here, remove those pins. If the function is nearly the same afterwards, or maybe add a mending plate that reinforces that entire section, even a big freaking washer might help. In your case here, and if it really is not covered by warranty I would epoxy, you could even add a little fiberglass patch.

3) Iā€™m not blaming you, this should be stronger, with hindsight in my favor putting the hard top intentionally down on those pins would not have been my first choice. However, without the benefit of your misfortune I could have easily assumed this would have been strong enough and if following Ford guide, all is says is put it down on a soft surface. Iā€™m 100% positive have already broke this way.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Um, so what specifically is the torque setting for these top bolts? I ask because I purchased the T handles and when I returned my top to the vehicle this fall, I simply hand tightened the T handles until I felt they were adequately tight. No issues with my top as yet.
Sponsored