First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is some serious B.S. I have a extended warranty on the my Bronco (150k miles). Last month, I pulled up my hardtop to put in additional weather stripping (rather than complaining about the hideous top in the first place - just shy of 36k miles) and the damn top ended up cracking severely.

Ford Bronco Warning: Extended Warranty didn't cover MIC Top crack damage IMG_20220919_085531

(this happened before re-installing the MIC top, but all fasteners were torqued to manufacturers speciation with a torque wrench).

Ya, apparently, that's not even likely to be accepted under the warranty anyway. It was never dropped, never off the Bronco, and only moved a few inches back to add additional weather stripping.

So, knowing that they might refuse to warranty it for being dropped, I still brought it in to the dealer. The dealer, while polite, courteous, and friendly looked to see if it was even a covered item under ESP. It isn't!

F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.

So, for anyone thinking that Ford will stand behind this obviously defective top unless forced at gun point, they won't.

I hope my motor shells out at 149,975 miles. I want to see Ford eat a bag of sausages.

Also, my Sync 4 system still isn't updating, but they "might" be able to get me in for service in late November. You can get military mental health appointments faster than that. WTF @Ford Motor Company.

Sure am happy I got an extended warranty plan... The basic warranty didn't even last a year (for a non-moving part clearly not affected by mileage) and the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).
Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it cracked when you pushed up on it, after removing all the hardware?

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Trim
noun

1. 1.
    additional decoration, typically along the edges of something and in contrasting color or material.

Doesn't sound like the roof would fall under the word "trim" to me.

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trim
noun

1. 1.
    additional decoration, typically along the edges of something and in contrasting color or material.

Doesn't sound like the roof would fall under the word "trim" to me.
trim is just a general term used to describe items that have to do with the appearance of the vehicle. Panels, seat covers, dash, door cards are just a few items considered trim. Extended service contracts actually provide a specific exclusion list along with the extended service contract. They do not go off of websters dictionary.

Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That sucks, sorry to hear about your situation.

I think in a years time when there are more of “us” we may have to band together and force Ford’s hand legally. How, I have no idea.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is some serious B.S. I have a extended warranty on the my Bronco (150k miles). Last month, I pulled up my hardtop to put in additional weather stripping (rather than complaining about the hideous top in the first place - just shy of 36k miles) and the damn top ended up cracking severely.

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

(this happened before re-installing the MIC top, but all fasteners were torqued to manufacturers speciation with a torque wrench).

Ya, apparently, that's not even likely to be accepted under the warranty anyway. It was never dropped, never off the Bronco, and only moved a few inches back to add additional weather stripping.

So, knowing that they might refuse to warranty it for being dropped, I still brought it in to the dealer. The dealer, while polite, courteous, and friendly looked to see if it was even a covered item under ESP. It isn't!

F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.

So, for anyone thinking that Ford will stand behind this obviously defective top unless forced at gun point, they won't.

I hope my motor shells out at 149,975 miles. I want to see Ford eat a bag of sausages.

Also, my Sync 4 system still isn't updating, but they "might" be able to get me in for service in late November. You can get military mental health appointments faster than that. WTF @Ford Motor Company.

Sure am happy I got an extended warranty plan... The basic warranty didn't even last a year (for a non-moving part clearly not affected by mileage) and the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).
That bites. :( First time I saw the oversized hardtop mounting flange and bolt pattern spacing, I thought it was an odd design choice. Potentially asking for trouble if pressure is put on the flange.

I don't think spreading epoxy on the surface will suffice for a fix. And to glue together along the crack, you'd want the correct cement that would match the hardtop material, to fuse the broken piece back together. For now I'd maybe get a 1/4 thick piece of plastic or 1/8 aluminum and put it on top of the broken flange area (drill some holes for the bolts), then tighten bolts as normal to kind of sandwich the broken area giving it support.

Yes, I'd be ticked with that breakage and no warranty coverage. My CJ hardtop has been through the wringer bashed around and mounting flange is still in good shape.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I fail to see how this is fords fault. Also, extended warranties don’t cover every single part of the vehicle, they aren’t bumper to bumper. You should’ve already known what was and wasn’t covered before you bought it.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).
guess what, the extended warranty doesn’t cover “major exterior body panels” either.

I’m not sure I understand how this happened, (sounds like maybe the weight of the top was resting on an alignment dowel causing a point load instead of spread out over a flat surface?) but I’m sorry that it happened.

if you were “just shy” of 36,000 miles why is the extended warranty even a factor? Did you wait and not take it in until after 36k?

also, I would ask your dealer to create a GCCT financial assistance request case and advocate on your behalf. Since you bought a new vehicle AND an extended warranty from Ford you should have a high value score and are almost certainly eligible for after warranty goodwill assistance.

Sponsored

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Ford Bronco Warning: Extended Warranty didn't cover MIC Top crack damage IMG_20220919_085531

Rough news. Sorry about your luck but appreciate you bringing this fine print to air. My warranty sez:

"7. WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS AGREEMENT:...p) ...convertible top"

Guessing that's all the ground they need (and probably why mic2.0 retros were part of a "customer satisfaction campaign" or whatever they called it)

I definitely do NOT use a torque wrench when reinstalling hard top and I've done it a dozen or more times now. Still not going to use it, but I'll be EXTRA careful from now on- the alignment pins in the same area look well prone to breakage as well.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You modified it and it broke as a result. Why should that be covered by warranty?
Potentially asking for trouble if pressure is put on the flange.
I fail to see how this is fords fault.
I'll be EXTRA careful from now on- the alignment pins in the same area look well prone to breakage as well.
I LOL at all the shit talkers and blame placers.

This MIC top is a rabid piece of shit.

That flange area posted is only slightly more durable than wet toilet paper.

Mine has a small tear in it also near the guide pin. NO mods, just typical useage as it should have been designed for.

I've always used a pulley system and two people to align the top, but if it is off by the slightest amount, that flange will tear ... EASILY.

Folks, this "hard top" is literally nothing more than plastic coated paper.
I promise you, you can tear one with your fingers if you want, easily.
It is not anything like the hard tops like the old Broncos and K5 Blazers. Those tops are several decades old and are still serviceable.
This MIC top didn't last more than a few weeks before they had to do an "unofficial" recall.
They certainly didn't "redesign" or improve it in the 30 days it took for the replacements.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sucks, sorry to hear about your situation.

I think in a years time when there are more of “us” we may have to band together and force Ford’s hand legally. How, I have no idea.
Class action lawsuit. Usually the lawyers take the lion’s share of any settlement while the plebs with the problem get pennies. Push comes to shove I can swap to a Bestop soft top on mine, but I would prefer to see Ford take care of this with a redesigned top at some point.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The MIC is straight shit. I honestly regret ever ordering a hardtop. I’m on my 4th rear section, and going in soon for the 2nd, maybe 3rd center piece. The roof is 50 shades of grey, and the only one getting boned is me. Thankfully, I have a great dealer service dept that is working to get a decent set of pieces, as well as a soft top that I can swap to.
Sponsored