Sponsored

When will Bronco become a real threat to Jeep?

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reading through these comments ,including my own, makes me wonder how many of you jeep defectors will go back now that it has come out that you cant get the Sasquatch package with the manual? It's not a deal breaker for me, but it does make me have second thoughts on the Bronco cutting into the Jeep sales with that angle. The longer this drags out and more information comes out, its starting to look like the Jeep is the better buy.
I am one of the Jeep defectors. My JKU is an auto (as are the vast majority of them). I think that Bronco sales would cut into jeep sales even if Ford didn't offer any manual transmission. It's a small part of the market.

Better buy? I have to disagree with that from the cost perspective. The decked out Gladiator I was going to buy is $62k. And it still needs new wheels, a lift kit, and re-gearing.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco will NEVER become a real threat to jeep...don't you guys realize? Ford never had any intention of truly COMPETING w/jeep
My take is Ford didn’t want to exactly copy the Jeep Wrangler blueprint.... they went “outside the box” so to speak.

IFS for road worthiness and higher speed off road excursions (aka baja-like) therefore this isn’t iust another Wrangler-like boulder crawler.

Ecoboost, diffs, e-lockeds, GOAT modes, etc... I personally have no problems nor major concerns with. My ‘17 Raptor literally has the same or similar features and 50k miles on it now and I’m still very happy with its performance on & off the road.

I think the new Bronco is a winner from design to features to pricing... so if those 5 Bronco-specific items really irk you, then why not just get a Wrangler?
Ford's only dog in this fight is to peel away mall crawlers from jeep's customer base and CASH IN! For every hardcore wheeler that buys a Rubicon at least ten...hell maybe twenty mall crawlers buy one...don't believe me? check out this quote:
“Versus a Rubicon with a bar disconnected [compared] to our Badlands with the bar disconnected, we’re not gonna be as high a score as they are,” Jamie Groves, vehicle engineering manager for the Bronco told me about the Bronco’s Ramp Travel Index versus the Jeep Wrangler’s.
The above shows just how this industry works...it's not JUST ford...but man they sure do follow the trend! Ford NEVER had any intention of COMPETING w/jeep! This whole release was a big money grab for them and a huge jerk off for us!

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bmad, I think you may have some mistaken beliefs.
First; nobody knows yet if the most off road capable Bronco will match up with the most off road capable Wrangler, theres no comparison tests yet.
Probably more important though; very, very few people care.
How may Rubicons are ever actually rock crawled? Probably less than 1/10th of 1% of Jeeps most capable off roader is ever put to its most difficult test.
Fords definition of "competing" with the Wrangler is by taking sales away, which it most certainly will do, in a major way I predict.
One more note; every vehicle manufacturer is in business to make money, that is every manufacturer's primary goal, which is what capitalism is all about.
I think the new Bronco will add some badly needed competition to the off road market and will eventually result in improvements to the Wrangler line.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco will NEVER become a real threat to jeep...don't you guys realize? Ford never had any intention of truly COMPETING w/jeep

Ford's only dog in this fight is to peel away mall crawlers from jeep's customer base and CASH IN! For every hardcore wheeler that buys a Rubicon at least ten...hell maybe twenty mall crawlers buy one...don't believe me? check out this quote:
“Versus a Rubicon with a bar disconnected [compared] to our Badlands with the bar disconnected, we’re not gonna be as high a score as they are,” Jamie Groves, vehicle engineering manager for the Bronco told me about the Bronco’s Ramp Travel Index versus the Jeep Wrangler’s.
The above shows just how this industry works...it's not JUST ford...but man they sure do follow the trend! Ford NEVER had any intention of COMPETING w/jeep! This whole release was a big money grab for them and a huge jerk off for us!
It's bean pretty well established that few that buy off road vehicles ever take them off road. So, to use your theory, every time someone buys a Rubicon, Ford has a shot at 10-20 mall crawlers? That sounds like Ford really did their homework and will take a big bite out of Jeep.

Indominus49er

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo, Honda
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I believe that are a real threat as of now!!! This things is badass. To think I used to think the JL looked good and almost bought that or a gladiator on numerous occasions. So glad I didn't. And I've have cjs, yjs, and tjs all prior.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's bean pretty well established that few that buy off road vehicles ever take them off road. So, to use your theory, every time someone buys a Rubicon, Ford has a shot at 10-20 mall crawlers? That sounds like Ford really did their homework and will take a big bite out of Jeep.
Yep...like I said one giant jerk off! Problem is no weenie! Who is going to wheel this thing? Or has Ford already hired pixar to cgi it?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bmad, I think you may have some mistaken beliefs.
First; nobody knows yet if the most off road capable Bronco will match up with the most off road capable Wrangler, theres no comparison tests yet.
Probably more important though; very, very few people care.
How may Rubicons are ever actually rock crawled? Probably less than 1/10th of 1% of Jeeps most capable off roader is ever put to its most difficult test.
Fords definition of "competing" with the Wrangler is by taking sales away, which it most certainly will do, in a major way I predict.
One more note; every vehicle manufacturer is in business to make money, that is every manufacturer's primary goal, which is what capitalism is all about.
I think the new Bronco will add some badly needed competition to the off road market and will eventually result in improvements to the Wrangler line.
I WHEEL MY SHIT! And I will sure as hell wheel my 2021! If it's junk I will mount 235/75/15 firestones on it and trade it in on a rubicon POST HASTE!

ps...DONT HAVE A NUMBER BUT MORE RUBICONS ROCK CRAWL THAN RAPTORS!

bossing

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff...
Your Bronco Model
Base

Again.... you have to think outside the box. In other words, get out of the rut so to speak. The new Bronco isn’t for narrow-minded consumers. Watch Jalopnik’s latest youtube video titled “What Jalopnik’s Off-Road Experts Think About the 2021 Ford Bronco” and maybe you’ll understand better.

And I do hope Ford’s Bronco sales are off the charts! And on a consistent basis year after year. This will ensure the new Bronco stays alive & well..... plus I’d rather see the Bronco as it was revealed to the world versus what GM did to the new Blazer (aka an utter failure). Imagine if the Bronco was revived as another rebadged CUV?? Yeah, so be glad instead that it didn’t turn into another plain jane crossover.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Again.... you have to think outside the box. In other words, get out of the rut so to speak. The new Bronco isn’t for narrow-minded consumers. Watch Jalopnik’s latest youtube video titled “What Jalopnik’s Off-Road Experts Think About the 2021 Ford Bronco” and maybe you’ll understand better.

And I do hope Ford’s Bronco sales are off the charts! And on a consistent basis year after year. This will ensure the new Bronco stays alive & well..... plus I’d rather see the Bronco as it was revealed to the world versus what GM did to the new Blazer (aka an utter failure). Imagine if the Bronco was revived as another rebadged CUV?? Yeah, so be glad instead that it didn’t turn into another plain jane crossover.
Dude...seriously where have u been for the last 30 years? IFS IS THE BOX! WELCOME BACK INTO THE BOX! I guess I'm not mentally sophisticated enough to wheel? I should just buy a jeep then? That way I don't have to ponder the philosophical questions of being stuck like more sophisticated customers Ford hopes to attract?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well in my case Ford has taken away a sale from Toyota. I currently have a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro. I do wheel it but being in South Louisiana we don't have much challenging terrain. I have made several trip to CO just for wheeling. I had no intention of purchasing a new vehicle right now, as I really love my current 4Runner. I've been keeping an eye out to see what Toyota would do with the 6th Gen coming up in a few years as well. I will move my current mods over to the wife's 4Runner (yes we have two) and await my new 4-door Badlands. Can't say that I'm not a little bit nervous about leaving that Toyota quality and reliability though.

bossing

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff...
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dude...seriously where have u been for the last 30 years? IFS IS THE BOX! WELCOME BACK INTO THE BOX!
You still don’t get it.... I suggest go watch the Jalopnik vid so you can hopefully grasp a different perspective from a Wrangler owner and his arguments for & against the Bronco’s IFS.

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

It would appear the Bronco has officially intimidated the competition as displayed in your post and that benefits all of us buyers in the entire segment so win/win.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You still don’t get it.... I suggest go watch the Jalopnik vid so you can hopefully grasp a different perspective from a Wrangler owner and his arguments for & against the Bronco’s IFS.
Oh I get it...I get it real good! I'm gonna get it to the tune of $50k. How much skin has Jalopnik got in this?