Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don’t understand it, which is why I’ve listened to what others have to say. Most people have said 5-7K is the sweet spot with 5K being on the cautious side. I’m fine with being on the cautious side since vehicles are so important to day to day life.
*most people
Sponsored

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Tundra, Explorer, IS500, '23 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will never pay anyone else to change my oil. The risk is too high for any benefit. It’s simple and I know it will be done correctly. I also rotate the tires at each oil change. This is for every vehicle I have ever owned.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The answer to your question, will the dealership change it early at 5k is yes, if you're paying they will do it; they will gladly take your money... and laugh at you behind your back.

I used to like changing my own oil before the Mazda3, but it's just too low to the ground and I don't have a garage or a space I'm allowed to work on my vehicles; so, I also don't have the right jack and stands. But, with a Sasquatched Bronco's there should be enough clearance underneath the Bronco that an old guy like me should be able to get under there to do it myself. That, along with the canister type filter should make it very easy to do, the bash plates will be the step that slows things a bit. I plan on at least doing my first oil change and if it's as easy as I expect, I'd rather do my own and know it's done correctly.

Unless I decide to buy a Ford maintenance plan through Granger, I still have to get my quotes on the ESP & possible the maintenance plan too.

With that said, if I found that I didn't want to do my own oil changes, I'm going to the dealership, I will never use a Quick Lube, Jiffy Lube or any other monkey lube to do my oil changes, those people suck. They are trained to up sell you on services you don't need by simply showing you some dirty fluid on a paper regardless of the miles since the last service or the actual condition/viscosity of the oil/fluid. They tried to get my girl for $42 to change out a $16 cabin filter, fortunately she had the sense to call me first and I told her we'll pick one up and do it our selves.

She was shocked when she saw how easy it was to change the cabin air filter, but because most people don't even know about their cabin air filter or where to find it, shops like that charge $26 extra (labor?) to change the filter; a complete rip off! It should just be part of the service if you pay for the filter, it takes 2 minutes to do!

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a shop that is run by three people I trust, they're honest and charge a fair price on everything. They do all my work but warranty.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plan on going to my dealer for the first few times.

Separate question - rotate tires (incl spare) every oil change? Or no?
My Ford dealer does tire rotations for free with the oil change ($69 total). I don't rotate the spare only because it isn't worth the hassle to make sure they rotate them the way I want it done. If they are no consistent in the "crossover" it becomes a bigger hassle than it is worth.

I know I am wasting 25% of overall tread life, but I guess I will always have a very good looking spare tire :)

Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i let the dealership do the first, I did the second. dealer charged less than what I could buy oil and filter for, but I also don't trust them. they significantly overfilled my first change. I detected it quickly and had them redo it. they admitted there was ~9 qts in when they drained it

Tofudude

Base
First Name
Chan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Brono Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Most dealers will actually charge less than lube stations.

The documentation alone is worth it. Say something goes wrong...even if the dealer is the one that screws up. If all the work is done at the dealer there is no way for the dealer to snake out of owning up to any damages.

I'd say at least, make sure all maintenances are documented at the dealer until the warranty is up. After that, just do it yourself or continue with the dealer.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally would never use a quick lube place.

Why not learn how to do it and do it yourself? It's really simple and you will know it was done right and save some money.
It's not much cheaper to do it yourself now days. By time you make the trip to buy, do the work, then find the place to get rid of the oil, make the trip there and back. If you price like for like...don't forget your time. My dealer is very good, much better the the quick lube joints where they try to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a service plan that includes oil changes and rotations (only 4 tires, I'll pay for the 5th). The service plan is at 7500-mile intervals, which should be fine with the oil used and the load I put on the vehicle. Getting scheduled with the dealer is a bit of a pain. They are a big dealer in the region, and their quick lube area is always packed. At that oil change interval, I'll have them rotated at every oil change.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's not much cheaper to do it yourself now days. By time you make the trip to buy, do the work, then find the place to get rid of the oil, make the trip there and back. If you price like for like...don't forget your time. My dealer is very good, much better the the quick lube joints where they try to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.
It's not about cheaper, it's knowing it was done right!

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

[ QUOTE]And yeah... 5-tire rotation is key for vehicles that have a full-sized spare. Effectively gives you an extra 20% tire life out of your tires.
[/QUOTE]
It's not just the mileage, but you don't want to be carrying a Goodyear "Territory" on your rear gate while driving KO2s on the pavement. Wearing them all down at the same time means you replace all five--with the same make & size--at the same time. Of course, that means buying five tires, which complicates those "buy-three-get-one-free" promotions.

One advantage of having your dealer do it is that they'll also check your other fluids and belts. Or at least, they should!

A side thought for those considering bead locks: Costco and lots of regular tire chains won't touch them. You'll have to use a Ford dealer or a 4x4 specialty shop.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A side thought for those considering bead locks: Costco and lots of regular tire chains won't touch them. You'll have to use a Ford dealer or a 4x4 specialty shop.
Since the ring are beauty rings and not real bead locks, couldn't one take off the beauty rings and then the wheels are just wheels?

But I also read here that the size on the door and no other at Costco, so is the Sasquatch size on the door or the stock size for the trim? A base with Sasquatch, will it show the stock 255/75R16 (or whatever) or the upgrade from the package?

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry, couldn't resist...

I change the oil in the Engine Compartment. Isn't that where everybody changes the oil?
Sponsored