First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So here's my thought on the matter. I'm thinking a 5 tire rotation but not the way your'e thinking about it. Hear me out. (this is all assuming that you are going to stick with the same tires down the road, which might be easier said than done given how the world rapidly changes around us. )

Yes you can gain 20% life on the tires but when you go to replace the tires you're paying 20% more so it's a bit of a wash. The advantage to adding the 5th tire to the rotation is that when you need a spare down the road it's not going to be a 10 year old tire that you can't count on. On the other hand it's nice to have a "show" tire on the back of your vehicle instead of a beat up nasty looking tire. So what's the solution?

My thought is do the normal 4 tire rotation and keep the new tire looking new for the life of the first set of tires. Then when it comes time to replace the tires you still only replace 4 tires but (assuming you're sticking with the same size and model tire) this is when you switch out the spare tire with a new one and put the spare into the rotation. The advantage being that you don't need to worry down the line that you have an old dry rot tire that you can't depend on if you need it and you also don't have to pay the extra $300 (or so) every time you replace your tires. The extra 20% of life is nice but in reality you're going to replace the tires 2 times in the life of a vehicle the added 20k miles will be nice but you won't really see the benefit of it unless you're taking the car beyond 160k miles. Most people aren't. And in the meantime you've paid around $600 extra for tires by this point.

One note: I've seen the argument that if you work the spare into the rotation that it will evenly wear so you don't have to be concerned about it being drastically different if you actually need it. Personally I think the Bronco will handle the slight variation just fine for the short time until the bad tire can be fixed. Let's be honest we've all seen that car driving down the road with the silly looking (small) donut. The variation isn't going to hurt in the short term.

That's my thinking. I'm open to hearing other peoples counter opinions.
Thats a fair argument. The reason why I went the other way was because the tires almost certainly will change/improve in the next 5 years.

Iā€™m running 275/65R18 Open Country AT3ā€™s on my OBX. Even if Iā€™m every bit in love with the tires years from now, Iā€™m sure weā€™ll be looking at an AT4 version by then with a improved tread pattern. I also want the flexibility to go to a bigger tire post warranty.
Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder if all the people that swapped out perfectly good and new tires/rims are interested in this topic.

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good advise, except I like the look of always having a NEW tire on the spare, given its location and part of the look of the vehicle.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but at 54 years old, I've never rotated the tires on any vehicle I've ever owned. My current daily driver got 70K miles out of a set of BFG KO's (and still had visible tread), and I'm at 40K miles on the KO2's that are on it now.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ozone kills tires
You can Google and read for days
SOME tire manufacturers will concede 5 years from date of manufacturing is about it. Other countries especially have time suggestions
That is only based on reconstructing fatalities and depositions Iā€™ve been part of on the matter

of course someone will chime in how Iā€™m wrong, but seriously tires age from the day they are made
So really in 5 years you should probably replace the spare anywayā€¦..

Iā€™ve also pulled a 5 year spare out and had it slip a belt in 100 milesā€¦.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but at 54 years old, I've never rotated the tires on any vehicle I've ever owned. My current daily driver got 70K miles out of a set of BFG KO's (and still had visible tread), and I'm at 40K miles on the KO2's that are on it now.
Donā€™t be embarrassed. At 62 years old, I have never rotated tires either. My tires last like you point out. The odds are one of your tires will suffer a non repairable puncture, and you will wind up buying not one, but two tires in order to match tread life.

bgcfman

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Honda Accord, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I decided to do a 5 tire rotation as well. Told my dealer that I wanted it when I stopped in for my early oil change.

The service desk advised me against doing it and said stick to 4 tire rotation. I insisted he do a 5 and went about my day.

About an hour later I get a call from the service desk saying the technician on the floor is imploring him that I only do a 4 tire rotation or itā€™ll ā€œmess up your 4wd systemā€. I caved and just rotated in the 5th tire when I got it back.

Seems like thereā€™s a lot of misinformation out there, dealerships are not exempt!
Total bs. My dealer has done 5 tire rotations without any pushback. I wonder what your dealerā€™s rationale is.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had my dealer do a 5-tire rotation on my Sasquatch. They don't charge for that and didn't try too hard to convince me to do the 4-tire version, but they did try.

When I get the oil change and whatever other service goes with that in a couple of thousand more miles, I'll have them do another 5-tire rotation.

I doubt that I will be getting the same Goodyear tires that are on it currently when I need a new set, and I would like my spare to be the same as the other four. That's the biggest reason I'm doing the 5-tire rotation. As far as I'm concerned, that argument about it costing the same is bogus, especially if you'll be switching brands. And if I can put off spending money until later, that's always a plus in my book.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is approximately zero chance I'd ever get the same tires twice so saving the spare has never made sense to me.

I wonder if all the people that swapped out perfectly good and new tires/rims are interested in this topic.
That's me, and yes, I bought 5 new wheels and tires, so that I could still do 5 tire rotations.

But I also have 2 other sets of 4 tires that get mixed in, some super mild ATs for good MPGs on long trips and some super aggressive MTs for trails only. When those are in use I have a unmatched spare that doesn't go into the rotation.

Sponsored

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ozone kills tires
You can Google and read for days
SOME tire manufacturers will concede 5 years from date of manufacturing is about it. Other countries especially have time suggestions
That is only based on reconstructing fatalities and depositions Iā€™ve been part of on the matter

of course someone will chime in how Iā€™m wrong, but seriously tires age from the day they are made
So really in 5 years you should probably replace the spare anywayā€¦..

Iā€™ve also pulled a 5 year spare out and had it slip a belt in 100 milesā€¦.
wifes tires will be garbage then. Her 2017 edge only has 9k miles on it right now I think.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you rotate all 5, you get 20% more miles on a set. But...

I can't remeber the last time I had to buy tires because the tread wore out. Last couple sets of tires I replaced simply because they were over 6 years old and starting to disintegrate from UV damage.

I think the tires on my Expy still were only halfway to the wear bars after 6 years, but they were definitely not really safe anymore.

With my new job, I'm only driving 32 miles a day instead of 60. So I am probably going to do a 4-tire, and put a cover on the spare to protect it from the sun.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™ve had this, or similar taped up in my garage for years.

Ford Bronco 5 wheel tire rotation... Why you should do it! 1D554041-8E13-4EF9-8B7E-11AB6A842D86
Well this is the third five tire rotation pattern Iā€™ve seen, this one with the rears crossed to the front which I believe is similar to an all wheel drive four tire rotation pattern. šŸ¤”

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ve had this, or similar taped up in my garage for years.

1D554041-8E13-4EF9-8B7E-11AB6A842D86.jpeg
This is my "cheat sheet". I keep it in my phone, and I have a print in the glovebox in case I'm not the one doing the rotation (like when it's at the dealer for the 10,000 mi. service)...

[Edit: To keep things straight, Iā€™ve decided that no one will be rotating my tires but me. Whenever itā€™s at a shop, I explicitly tell them not to rotate themā€¦]

Ford Bronco 5 wheel tire rotation... Why you should do it! 286C7861-494D-44EF-B3DC-D40093A63014

Last edited:

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just went to the dealer for a oil change service on Saturday. I asked for a 5 tire rotation. I said there is no reason to not, my service advisor agreed. All tires were rotated.
Sponsored