Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The market is extremely small for a extra heavy duty and expensive rack so the venders are staying away from investing. I for one am looking forward to someone stronger. It hasn’t stopped me from running on big rocks but always looking for improvements.
The market is probably much larger for a plain old heavy duty and more affordable rack that doesn't require programming, something that everyone in this thread is probably looking for right now. Seems like we're kind of in a chicken and egg situation right now, nobody is designing really capable suspensions because the rack is incapable of handling tires that make use of them, and nobody is designing heavy duty racks because there really isn't a good suspension out there to properly utilize big tires.
Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The market is probably much larger for a plain old heavy duty and more affordable rack that doesn't require programming, something that everyone in this thread is probably looking for right now. Seems like we're kind of in a chicken and egg situation right now, nobody is designing really capable suspensions because the rack is incapable of handling tires that make use of them, and nobody is designing heavy duty racks because there really isn't a good suspension out there to properly utilize big tires.
I haven’t thought of that way, but I think you 100% correct. Its definitely holding up the evolution of modifying the platform. Unfortunately we have gotten so use to being able to get almost any thing imaginable for solid axle vehicles we have grown impatient. Hopefully 74weld will make some good progress.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like 74Weld may have a prototype on display at KOH, so if anyone is planning to attend go check it out, chat them up and report back.

Another comment / screenshot from IG.
Edit: I posted a question.

edit #2: further clarification from 74Weld posted below. All new components.

Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! 6C572CA1-4386-457D-86E7-BB8656C8B331

Last edited:

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like 74Weld may have a prototype on display at KOH, so if anyone is planning to attend go check it out, chat them up and report back.

Nice, so that answers the big question. Use the 3.0 for the mechatronics and then put all the fancy shmancy parts in some beefed up chassis. Curious if they will reuse the rack/ball nut assembly and just beef up the housing.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will track them down and try to get the poop

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice, so that answers the big question. Use the 3.0 for the mechatronics and then put all the fancy shmancy parts in some beefed up chassis. Curious if they will reuse the rack/ball nut assembly and just beef up the housing.
Potentially yes. However some simplified programming / plug in “how to” would still be advantageous. As it stands the programming voodoo to force non-Wildtrak trims to accept the H3 rack is beyond me.

tie rods is a question also. If true, and 74Weld plans to refurbish the H3 rack what’s their plan for tie rods? 74Weld had previously commented on IG that their design plan included tie rods, but as we all know this is all subject to change. (Edit, see below feedback from 74Weld on IG)

To be honest, the fact that 74Weld is communicating with us now is above and beyond standard SOP. I work in product development and our status quo is no public chatter before go to market launch. So thanks to 74weld for being cooler than I am. 😎

Last edited:

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Potentially yes. However some simplified programming / plug in “how to” would still be advantageous. As it stands the programming voodoo to force non-Wildtrak trims to accept the H3 rack is beyond me.

tie rods is a question also. If true, and 74Weld plans to refurbish the H3 rack what’s their plan for tie rods? 74Weld had previously commented on IG that their design plan included tie rods, but as we all know this is all subject to change.

To be honest, the fact that 74Weld is communicating with us now is above and beyond standard SOP. I work in product development and our status quo is no public chatter before go to market launch. So thanks to 74weld for being cooler than I am. 😎
If we have a WT with HOSS 3.0, think they could just take our exisitng HOSS and gut it vs getting one from Ford and gutting to save costs?

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sooo...the 3.0 rack isn't $1900 unless you want to buy two of them. That leads me to think they're priming the market for an even higher price than that, I'm betting their rock bottom target price is going to be at least $3500, with $4500-5000 being my guess as to what they'll actually charge. That's fair, but for that I'd expect something above and beyond the 3.0 in performance, something professional racers would actually rely on in their vehicles, as opposed to CNC parts and an explanation on how small business economics works for a niche customer base. $3500-5000 is hydraulic power rack territory...

If we have a WT with HOSS 3.0, think they could just take our exisitng HOSS and gut it vs getting one from Ford and gutting to save costs?
If they're cannibalizing 3.0 racks to make theirs, sure. You'd be out a rack and a bronco for who knows how long in the meantime though. Maybe they'll offer a core exchange instead.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Clarification: new components

Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! 127FCF3A-932F-4A59-B898-876E65C5D016

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good question. If I was running the show I’d say no, because I’d want to start with new components, eliminating unknown wear & tear variables. Total speculation of course.

Sponsored

Trooper19

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A must watch, as a fabricator I see why they went in to the details. They said the 2 current ford Racks are good for every day use . The smaller tie rods are made to fail so the rack can survive. They are a fuse , any time you replace them with stronger parts you move the fuse to somewhere else.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sounds like they plan on offering a 6061-T6 housing (they should be making it out of 7075-T6/651 because cost is nearly the same and strength is way better (like more than 50% stronger, albeit with a slight compromise in elasticity 11% vs 17%).

It also seems that you could gut the 2.0 or 3.0 for the same internals (rack and pinion). While the 2.0 motor is weaker, that might not be a big deal.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like they plan on offering a 6061-T6 housing (they should be making it out of 7075-T6/651 because cost is nearly the same and strength is way better (like more than 50% stronger, albeit with a slight compromise in elasticity 11% vs 17%).

It also seems that you could gut the 2.0 or 3.0 for the same internals (rack and pinion). While the 2.0 motor is weaker, that might not be a big deal.
Is one material easier to machine than the other?
Just a thought

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The smaller tie rods are made to fail so the rack can survive. They are a fuse , any time you replace them with stronger parts you move the fuse to somewhere else.
That logic is about on par with using a starter from a Geo Metro on a 7.3L powerstroke, but protecting that starter with a 20A fuse.

No, you're right, 7075 is the better choice. The only time you'd choose 6061 over 7075 is if you plan on welding a lot of stuff to it and you're not a tigmagician (nobody is going to be tig welding their racks back together on the trail regardless). There's really not that much difference in machining the two unless you're doing it on an industrial scale, it's not like you're going from aluminum to steel or titanium. Elasticity is a negligible factor if the housing is designed well enough to not approach its tensile strength at any point. If you shift that tensile strength way up, elasticity doesn't come into play as much, and it's virtually eliminated if you over-engineer the part (it seems they're doing just that based on their models). It's also probably a good thing to have less tensile strain manifesting in something like a steering rack. I mean, you give too much credence to elasticity and you'll start making plans for a polymer steering rack lol
Sponsored