Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got mine back today after having the TSB done. My service manager previously said that the -C revision had been superseded by the -D revision part and told me that I would be receiving the new part. Upon checking the invoice at pickup, I noticed they installed a new -C part. He told me that he checked with his parts manager and they confirmed that it still showed the -C rings as being correct for my build date and the -D rings were applicable for later build dates. It doesn’t even seem that the model years are the delineating factor but rather build date ranges. Additionally, the service manager said that the old parts appeared to not be machined smoothly on the edges, almost like there were raw metal imperfections on the synchro rings that nobody filed down prior to installation. He said that the new parts they installed looked much better than the old ones and were smooth on the edges. His guess is that all of the bad synchro rings installed at the MAP had the same issue as they were installed as-received and not smoothed out prior to installation. I obviously can’t confirm or deny that but it makes sense.

All of that being said, for the afternoon I’ve had it back, I haven’t heard any noises and the transmission seems to shift smoother than before. Mine was one of the transmissions making the grinding noise at all temps, hot or cold. Time will tell how it holds up but I like how it feels so far. There were times prior to the TSB being done that it shifted so rough that I began to believe I had forgotten how to drive a manual. How it felt today seems like how it should have felt the entire time.

Best of luck to all of you in this journey!
So, if we leave as is and don't repair it, the grinding synchro rings will grind themselves down smooth. :ROFLMAO: :(

Warmer weather her in MN I don't hear the grinding now. 44 this morning and no grinding sound. Will have to wait until next winter now to have the dealer listen...
Sponsored

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, if we leave as is and don't repair it, the grinding synchro rings will grind themselves down smooth. :ROFLMAO: :(

Warmer weather her in MN I don't hear the grinding now. 44 this morning and no grinding sound. Will have to wait until next winter now to have the dealer listen...
Ha I suppose that’s plausible. Mine made the sound for 17k miles so I don’t know how many it takes until the smoothness arrives lol. All I know is my new synchros don’t make any noise so far

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reading many posts, this is like reading a mystery novel, many different plot twists, stories from all angles, seems odd there would be different fixes for the same problem. No matter, until there is a series of successful outcomes its all conjecture.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ha I suppose that’s plausible. Mine made the sound for 17k miles so I don’t know how many it takes until the smoothness arrives lol. All I know is my new synchros don’t make any noise so far
I actually don't recall when I started hearing the sound, only started listening when I found these threads. Looking at the spreadsheet someone posted here, I recorded info at about 14,500 miles. I'm at 20k now.

Brok3nBronco

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jade Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Reading many posts, this is like reading a mystery novel, many different plot twists, stories from all angles, seems odd there would be different fixes for the same problem. No matter, until there is a series of successful outcomes its all conjecture.
This is what really boggles my mind, sone people claim resolutions but all through different conclusions. New trans, revised synchro, old synchro. How can there not be a one fix all?

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

He told me that he checked with his parts manager and they confirmed that it still showed the -C rings as being correct for my build date and the -D rings were applicable for later build dates.
Unfortunately, that isn't correct. I'm assuming he just said that because they ended up with the -C instead of -D. Build date doesn't play any part in this supersession however.

Either way, hopefully it stays quiet for you.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There aren't any different fixes.
So far the only "fix" is the updated synchro's, but unfortunately due to parts back order there are only a few broncos that have received those parts. I'm sure with a little more time we will have a better idea of if the revised part has fixed the issue or not.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unfortunately, that isn't correct. I'm assuming he just said that because they ended up with the -C instead of -D. Build date doesn't play any part in this supersession however.

Either way, hopefully it stays quiet for you.
I’m not disagreeing with you. I have no knowledge other than what has been posted here and what the service manager tells me. I told him that if the noise comes back I’m bringing the car right back to him.

What is your level of expertise to say definitively that he is wrong? Not saying you’re a liar or anything but are you a tech yourself? You may have already said this earlier in the thread but I’m not going back lol

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m not disagreeing with you. I have no knowledge other than what has been posted here and what the service manager tells me. I told him that if the noise comes back I’m bringing the car right back to him.

What is your level of expertise to say definitively that he is wrong? Not saying you’re a liar or anything but are you a tech yourself? You may have already said this earlier in the thread but I’m not going back lol
It’s all good. I don’t expect anyone to take the word of a stranger on a forum haha

But yes, I’m a senior master Ford tech that specializes in transmission repair.

Also, not that it matters now because it’s already done, but if you would like I can prove that the supersession applies to your transmission as well. I would just need your vin

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s all good. I don’t expect anyone to take the word of a stranger on a forum haha

Also, not that it matters now because it’s already done, but if you would like I can prove that the supersession applies to your transmission as well. I would just need your vin
PM’d you

Sponsored

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ducati

You seem to have the best understanding of this to date. The service manager at Harvard Ford, a smaller dealership, is a great guy to work with, sympathtic to this after I told him about this issue. Of course he was unaware of it, I believe I'm the only manual they sold to date. He looked up the TSB and said MY '23 is not included. In any case he is willing to listen and would like me to share all the particulars with this issue. If you have the time, without going back through 200 pages, sorting out the high points to date, would you mind spelling out the various TSB's issued, different pat numbers and revisions as well as transmissions issued under different part numbers. A simple overview, no need for a book and long explanations.

I have a good understanding of all the moving parts in the various synco's and transmissions involved, but the actual part numbers from original through today is what I've not taken note of.

Thank you in advance

Be Safe

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ducati

You seem to have the best understanding of this to date. The service manager at Harvard Ford, a smaller dealership, is a great guy to work with, sympathtic to this after I told him about this issue. Of course he was unaware of it, I believe I'm the only manual they sold to date. He looked up the TSB and said MY '23 is not included. In any case he is willing to listen and would like me to share all the particulars with this issue. If you have the time, without going back through 200 pages, sorting out the high points to date, would you mind spelling out the various TSB's issued, different pat numbers and revisions as well as transmissions issued under different part numbers. A simple overview, no need for a book and long explanations.

I have a good understanding of all the moving parts in the various synco's and transmissions involved, but the actual part numbers from original through today is what I've not taken note of.

Thank you in advance

Be Safe
The TSB came out back in December of 2022 I think?
The causal part (5th/6th gear synchro) listed in the TSB ( MU7Z-7107-C) was the exact same synchro that the vehicle was built with from the factory, which is why many of the people that had the TSB done have had the noise come back... nothing was changed, basically replacing the same part that failed originally.

Fast forward to about a month ago, and Ford has revised the part and superseded it with the MU7Z-7107-D revision. There are only a few people that have had the new revised part installed, but so far it looks promising as far as repairing the issue.

The transmission assembly part number has also been revised to MB3Z-7003-E, changed from MB3Z-7003-A, I'm assuming because they also now have the revised parts in them. However, to my knowledge, nobody has received the updated transmission. These are still currently listed as backordered.

As far as being a '23 and not being listed on the TSB, this is mainly just because Ford has not updated the TSB yet. I'm guessing they will eventually, but either way this makes no difference. It doesn't need to have the TSB to have the issue fixed. It would just need to be claimed as a normal transmission repair.

If I was the technician working on your vehicle at Harvard Ford, I would verify the noise then order a brand new transmission under the low time in service policy as the TSB doesn't apply to yours technically. This way you would have a new updated -E transmission on order and in the meantime you could continue to drive it until it came in.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The TSB came out back in December of 2022 I think?
The causal part (5th/6th gear synchro) listed in the TSB ( MU7Z-7107-C) was the exact same synchro that the vehicle was built with from the factory, which is why many of the people that had the TSB done have had the noise come back... nothing was changed, basically replacing the same part that failed originally.

Fast forward to about a month ago, and Ford has revised the part and superseded it with the MU7Z-7107-D revision. There are only a few people that have had the new revised part installed, but so far it looks promising as far as repairing the issue.

The transmission assembly part number has also been revised to MB3Z-7003-E, changed from MB3Z-7003-A, I'm assuming because they also now have the revised parts in them. However, to my knowledge, nobody has received the updated transmission. These are still currently listed as backordered.

As far as being a '23 and not being listed on the TSB, this is mainly just because Ford has not updated the TSB yet. I'm guessing they will eventually, but either way this makes no difference. It doesn't need to have the TSB to have the issue fixed. It would just need to be claimed as a normal transmission repair.

If I was the technician working on your vehicle at Harvard Ford, I would verify the noise then order a brand new transmission under the low time in service policy as the TSB doesn't apply to yours technically. This way you would have a new updated -E transmission on order and in the meantime you could continue to drive it until it came in.
Thank you very much, I'm sure others will thank you as well.

Be Safe

gwrjones

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just got an e-mail from Ford (underlines my own):

"My name is Daniel with Ford Motor Company. I have received your case, and after further review, I checked with the dealer hand your part has been properly escalated, as soon as it is available it will direct ship to the dealer. I am sorry for any incontinence this may cause

Thank you for being a loyal Ford customer"

I mean, I am upset, but not that level of upset. :poop:

Tehese

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Long time follower here, but I had to finally make an account because I had a question. My Bronco was just built a few weeks ago. Do we know what part they are putting in the Manuals from the Factory now?
Sponsored