First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. MIC hardtop production for unscheduled First Edition builds will resume late this year with the updated hardtop design. I wouldn't expect this until probably November, as the new tooling still needs to be completed, installed, and tested before production of the new hard tops can begin. Once that happens, they have committed to building new MIC hardtops for all units that have already been delivered, then the "bad batch" Broncos trapped at MAP, THEN for production of new units.
So just to clarify, first roofs being replaced will be already delivered units followed by the trapped ā€œbad buildsā€ at MAP and then lastly the newly produced units which includes the reminder of First Editions? You really think they can get all these rigs with new roofs delivered by December?
Sponsored

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

who is making the newly designed tops?
My understanding is it's a tooling and process redesign and Webasto is still the supplier.

LowerDixie77

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I donā€™t want a 4 door or a soft top. Looks like Iā€™ll have to wait it out. May switch to green. Iā€™ll be able to pay cash by the time itā€™s ready. Probably wonā€™t be spending as much time on Bronco6g. Iā€™ll check in with yall around December.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So just to clarify, first roofs being replaced will be already delivered units followed by the trapped ā€œbad buildsā€ at MAP and then lastly the newly produced units which includes the reminder of First Editions? You really think they can get all these rigs with new roofs delivered by December?
Absolutely not

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ā€˜21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think this is about the best news possible at this point. FE and current VIN's will get their hardtop this year. Soft tops will get theirs, and dealers will get likely get a few stock units.
Well, it doesnā€™t actually say that FE folks will get their cars/hardtops this year. It says that all FE folks will get a 2021 Bronco. Basically it says, in effect, that the plan is to do all remaining FE production between November 2021 and late December 2021. Based on that it seems almost certain that some FE folks will not be able to take delivery until early 2022.

At least an answer of some kind is a step forward, and Iā€™m sure the folks at Ford regard this as a big decision. But the timetables are very, very tight. Keeping to this schedule wlil be a challenge.

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No. MIC hardtop production for unscheduled First Edition builds will resume late this year with the updated hardtop design. I wouldn't expect this until probably November, as the new tooling still needs to be completed, installed, and tested before production of the new hard tops can begin. Once that happens, they have committed to building new MIC hardtops for all units that have already been delivered, then the "bad batch" Broncos trapped at MAP, THEN for production of new units.
If that ends up being the case, then they have some audacity telling non-FE mic guys sitting on assigned build dates to wait for an update in early October. There's basically zero chance they fulfill even a small percentage of new orders in time for 2021 MY. 2022 production starts in December. It's almost an impossible feat. Let's say there's 2,500 bad batches, plus what, 5-6,000 unbuilt FEs (not double counting some FEs in the bad batch), plus fixing recalled hardtop (but may be limited to low hundreds)...in THE month of November, plus potentially promising to build assigned VINs....am I missing something @PREMiERdrum

702_SR5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is just surreal. :eek:

And this hardtop fiasco can't be blamed on Covid. This is poor management that allowed a clearly deficient design and manufacturing process to go forward.

Glad I was recently able to trade in my 4Runner for a new one. (There are none on dealer lots, so I basically bought it while it was still on its way from Japan). It will tide me over a few years while Ford gets their **** together.

Hopefully Ford does, because after all the problems I had with my Rubicon, I don't want to go back to a Jeep though I miss its capabilities.

P8122165.JPG

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That makes sense, although I know lots of folks in body/mechanic field around me and the majority I wouldn't trust.
You and I both. Although the task of pulling and re-installing glass isn't a particularly hard job, I don't trust a dealer mechanic to do such a job. Now if someone who's whole business is removing/replacing glass on cars...yeah, let them do it. No way I'm trusting a mechanic at a dealership to do anything beyond changing my oil...and even that is questionable. Too many bad previous experiences. I feel bad for those who have a bronco, have a MIC, and now need to worry about this like yourself

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Weā€™re starting to actively communicate how we are going to make this right for each of you, but we hear you. In the meantime, please check out our latest FAQs here: https://ford.to/broncosupport
Hello Ford, hopefully you realize that you have other customers, who might not have participated in your early reservation marketing/PR thing. I see little focus or even acknowledgement of those customers in your communications. You can only ride that early reservation train so far, before other people jump off.

Sponsored

#Hopinandfindout

Wildtrak
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep / Audi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Updated by Administrator with full FAQ and Customer Satisfaction Program info.

Full Order Holder FAQ:

Ford Bronco šŸ“£ Ford announces MIC hardtop solution (program 21B49): unscheduled orders will get MY2022, delivered & built Broncos will have tops replaced P8122165.JPG
Ford Bronco šŸ“£ Ford announces MIC hardtop solution (program 21B49): unscheduled orders will get MY2022, delivered & built Broncos will have tops replaced P8122165.JPG

Awareness Communication - Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Program 21B49
(Certain 2021 Model Year Bronco Equipped with a Hard Top Roof Roof Panel Delamination)

Some extra info from @PREMiERdrum

All new tooling and an altered design. It became quite clear that even when manufactured exactly to spec that the design was flawed.

The timeline here is optimistic, but the right move nonetheless.

Hey, you have every right to be a dick. This has been a mess.

The design issue is the unfinished edges. Initially, these were to be treated and sealed but it was never successful. The "coating" applied at the plant lasted for about a week, if that. The other issues plaguing the MIC top - thickness of outer ply, uniformity of material thickness, and forming issues within the clamshell - were perhaps made more challenging by the tooling but not necessarily impossible. This new design and tooling should aid in ALL these factors.

As for the 8/2 "full speed" production, that was the plan. Heels were firmly dug in on the engineering of the top and all fingers were pointed towards Plymouth. There was hope that the "best" of the roof units being delivered to MAP could at least be used to complete FE and stranded builds, but as more and more units were evaluated, it became clear that it was a bigger liability to release more of these out into the wild than to just scrap the thing and start over.

Like I said last night, this move HURTS... especially the "bad batch" crew of 2,200+ builds stuck at MAP, but it's absolutely the best way to address it at this juncture. A LOT of these headaches could have been alleviated by pulling the plug when the first issues became apparent, but that's not where we are.

- A few hundred.

- Yes.

The design will look very much the same (and be the same color, to those of you asking). Main points to address in the update:

- Rolled /finished edges where there were formerly raw cuts.
- Thicker, more uniform outer layer of material.
- Improved injection process to fix forming issues in the clamshell.

Also, I've seen several people asking why they can't just get their truck now with a bad roof and replace it later. Two huge problems will prevent that from happening:
- Ford doesn't want any more "bad" units running around beyond the few hundred already out there.
- They want no part of shipping any more of these things than they already have to. Freight is going be enormous on them and there is a substantial risk of damage while shipping. I doubt they have a packaging and logistics plan for them but I can imagine it's going to be incredibly costly.

No - the entire roof assembly is being replaced. This is being described this way as they won't ship the "replacement kits" to the dealers with the glass in place. It will need to be installed in the new cap by the dealer.

Note:

Lots of people are assuming this means a new supplier, but I don't have any confirmation of that. Update from @Nickp , the following is correct: From what I can tell, this new tooling for the MIC hardtops is being designed and paid for by Ford and will be installed at the Plymouth plant for Webasto to produce.

The MOD tops coming in 23 are from a new supplier that has yet to be publicly identified.

Further info from @Nickp: My contact at Ford reached out, and basically summed it up that they need to make sure that these things are ready for the adventures that we are going to put them through. The current hardtop and the quality offered just don't reach that standard, so they are just putting the kibosh on any more going into circulation before they fix the root of the problem. As outlined above, the fewer hard tops they have to ship around the country the better. When the new tops are being built, they are going to FiFo the current sitting orders. Basically, the ones that were built first will be the first to get tops and get sent on out to their final destination. While the ones that are currently built are being sent on their way, the goal will be to get people with a hardtop Bronco in their possession already the new top, along with finishing up the first editions and already scheduled builds. It's not ideal, but this is "THE" solution that will be the only thing to fully fix things.
UGH!!! my concern is not that they are fixing issues they have found, nor is it that the builds of 2021 Models are delayed, nor is that we reserved our build date in July of 2020, nor is that the dealers know nothing about any of what is going on, my biggest concern is FORD is not sending this communication out to everyone who has a reservation or order placed. Why is it so hard to send out communications to your customers? im in a similar business.. (Trailer manufacturing) we have many of the same issues and we are regularly calling our dealers, and customers to give parts updates, quality updates, and delivery updates. CALLING them.. yes we sell more trailers in a year than 125, 000 (Bronco orders from reservations) its frustrating to me as it seems like it is a big secret and customers have to go search the WEB to get answers to the delay questions.. My dealer knows less than me and I search the web daily.. signing off till 2022.. ;-(

mandyhoth

Outer Banks
First Name
Mandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explore
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Again, I believe this is social media driven. Can't risk a bunch of people posting pictures with hashtag #leakybronco. That's the biggest exposure because they can't control it so they are taking it off the board first.

There should be a separate apologist forum, BTW. It's complicated, it's a pandemic, manufacturing is hard. That stuff is priced in. I build and manufacture things. Nobody is grading me on a curve because the world is more unpredictable. I can promise that there is a lot of 'how did we let this happen' discussion going on in Michigan right now. it's a pandemic, and supply chain is F'ed. You don't get extra credit for managing that because you made commitments and nobody cut a check for your best effort to deliver their Bronco. They wanted a Bronco.

If you had put out a disclaimer that due to the pandemic, supply chain is stressed and that anybody thinking about a Bronco should consider the fact that they could be facing a 90-120 day delay, then sure, buyer beware. You didn't do that because it would have impacted sales.
Iā€™m sure that is the reason, but in my opinion I think the 2k+ Broncos parked on the lot will get more bad press than the few that have been delivered with #leakyroof Especially where the general public will know Ford is addressing the problem and they are being sent new improved tops as the #leakyroof becomes more prevalent. I think Ford pretty much put that fire out on all the delivered ones

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hmmm. My Bronco was built yesterday. Still shows "In Production" on the tracker, but the modules are showing active.

I wonder what the cutoff date is for those that have to have roofs replaced, and ones that have the satisfactory roofs are.
If your Bronco was born this week, then you are at the very end of the "get a new roof" line... And no more people are likely to have their Broncos scheduled with a bad roof.

If you have a VIN and haven't been built, you go behind that line and will not be scheduled until October at the earliest, with remaining FE's going to the head of that line.

If you don't have a VIN, have never been scheduled to a build week, and have a hard top order for MY21, you will not be getting an MY21 Bronco - unless you ordered an FE.

That's basically the statement. I expect that Broncos that escaped the yard will likely see replacement tops AFTER the end of MY21 production.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If that ends up being the case, then they have some audacity telling non-FE mic guys sitting on assigned build dates to wait for an update in early October. There's basically zero chance they fulfill even a small percentage of new orders in time for 2021 MY. 2022 production starts in December. It's almost an impossible feat. Let's say there's 2,500 bad batches, plus what, 5-6,000 unbuilt FEs (not double counting some FEs in the bad batch), plus fixing recalled hardtop (but may be limited to low hundreds)...in THE month of November, plus potentially promising to build assigned VINs....am I missing something @PREMiERdrum
The schedule is optimistic, but the new tooling will be installed by the end of next month. Once that happens, it really shouldn't take THAT long to build out the 3,000 or so necessary units to address shipped rigs and the sandlot kids. From there they'll be able to finish all the FE units and then a few lucky non-FE MIC trucks.

ArrickSports

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy HHR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The letter states the good replacement hardtops will be available in Oct 2021. That seems too short a time span for a newer design or manufacturing process to take the current MIC place. So apparently Ford thinks they can "fix" the current MIC hardtop issues in two months. I wonder how feasible that is.
Yes and no as to the too short of time. If they were starting from scratch and had to design, develop, and test a new hardtop, I would say that it would take 12 - 18 months. What I am reading into this is that there is already a design and that tooling was started a month or two ago. It could be that there were two initial designs, both went through testing and the current design was selected because it was lighter or cheaper or was designed by someone importants son. I'm betting that once they started having issues at launch or even a bit before, the decision was made for a design direction. As for the tooling, lead times can always be reduced by throwing money at the supplier.
Sponsored