Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford makes some damn good turbo 4s. I had a focus st running on an e30 blend for 3+ years with a 2.0. Now I'm running e30 on my 1.6 for about the same time. I could easily swap a turbo and reliably make 370hp to the ground all day. 2.3 in the mustang has been running strong from what I've read. I'll be going with the 2.7 though just cause it's a bigger vehicle and I would like the most power potential.
Dying to know. You daily drive an e30 tune? Do they have mixer pumps, or e30 directly from the pump where you're at?

I was on a full e85 tune in my BRZ before I decided to just supercharge it. It was getting too difficult to find "real" e85 in my parts, especially in the winter months. I'd have to test the fuel, because they'll happily flow e70 (or worse) out of the pumps marked e85 here. Then I'd have to switch to the e70 tune.

I'd honestly love to go e30. I might have to reinvestigate the practicality of this in regards to my local filling stations.
Sponsored

BroncoST

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 fiesta STs
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Dying to know. You daily drive an e30 tune? Do they have mixer pumps, or e30 directly from the pump where you're at?

I was on a full e85 tune in my BRZ before I decided to just supercharge it. It was getting too difficult to find "real" e85 in my parts, especially in the winter months. I'd have to test the fuel, because they'll happily flow e70 (or worse) out of the pumps marked e85 here. Then I'd have to switch to the e70 tune.

I'd honestly love to go e30. I might have to reinvestigate the practicality of this in regards to my local filling stations.

I mix at the pump, pretty easy. E85 doesn't really change down here in the winter. I've been using the same station for about 5 years without a problem. I never not run it unless I travel.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would nice to see a real flexfuel kit come out for these.

back in 2012 when I was first tuned for E85 on my STi, it had to be E85 or 93. Nothing in between. I had to test it at the gas station with test tube before putting in my car lol. Got a lot of looks! Last year I got Cobb flexfuel kit which Allows me to put any combo of fuel in between 93 and any level of Ethanol. This is good because I filled up couple of weeks ago with Crap E85 that only registered E60.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would nice to see a real flexfuel kit come out for these.

back in 2012 when I was first tuned for E85 on my STi, it had to be E85 or 93. Nothing in between. I had to test it at the gas station with test tube before putting in my car lol. Got a lot of looks! Last year I got Cobb flexfuel kit which Allows me to put any combo of fuel in between 93 and any level of Ethanol. This is good because I filled up couple of weeks ago with Crap E85 that only registered E60.
Yea, E60 in the summer... that's pretty bad. I really wish that we had some of those slick "mixer pumps" that basically let you choose your ratio and mix it on the fly. It just seems that the whole corn gas things has subsided somewhat since we started fracking oil like mad.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am looking into that, but still going to assess how well everything comes out with the Bronco. I have only owned manuals, so I would be pretty hard pressed to move out of one.

*edit* I would say I am still in the research phase, but got my reservation in none the less.
Sounds like you and I have the same thought process. Playing devil's advocate, what would you have to find out to make you switch to the 2.7L and therefore the automatic?

Sponsored

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel a bit fortunate. Since I'm planning to go with a 2-door and the Badlands, I'll have less weight along with the 4.7 final drive gears. It would be a much more challenging decision if I was going with a 4 door, an automatic, or a model with taller gears.

Still, I think the people who are holding their breath, hoping that the 2.3 will be enough, are going to be pleasantly surprised by the performance. This is not a four banger TJ from 2004.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that this is the reliability thread, so my reply isn't terribly relevant.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I feel a bit fortunate. Since I'm planning to go with a 2-door and the Badlands, I'll have less weight along with the 4.7 final drive gears. It would be a much more challenging decision if I was going with a 4 door, an automatic, or a model with taller gears.

Still, I think the people who are holding their breath, hoping that the 2.3 will be enough, are going to be pleasantly surprised by the performance. This is not a four banger TJ from 2004.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that this is the reliability thread, so my reply isn't terribly relevant.
It's not completely irrelevant, either. An overworked 4-banger may be "enough," but will wear out faster than a V6 or V8 that's "too much engine."

A 4 cylinder that is "more than enough" may be disappointing to the size queens power posse, but will still be plenty to last the lifetime of the vehicle.

bmattison

Black Diamond
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Forester, 2020 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is anyone having any concerns about the possibility of longevity issues with the 2.3? I initial was thinking I would opt for the 2.7 until I saw how the well the 2.3 7mt performed on the Rubicon and in Moab. So I decided hey I can get the 2.3 and do just fine, save some money. Now my concern is longevity, will the 2.3 hold up over time working harder to move a larger vehicle like the Bronco? Thoughts...

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you get the 2.3, get a catch can to reduce the chances of soot in the valves.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Will it last 150K miles, yeah, shouldn't be a problem. Will it go for 20+ years with little issues? Check back in 20 yrs. There's no guarantee any motor is going to last. Some take a dump early and others last forever.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
ā€œNow my concern is longevity, will the 2.3 hold up over time working harder to move a larger vehicle like the Bronco?ā€

Itā€™s a reasonable concern but the 2.7 is only 0.4L bigger and with two extra cylinders thereā€™s even less displacement per cylinder. I donā€™t think itā€™s warranted to be concerned about the 4 when itā€™s reasonable to ask the same question for the 6.

Only time can tell if it will last, hopefully we see more engine options soon.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
from what little i know about these engines the 2.7 has something that reduces carbon buildup that the 2.3 doesnt

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Itā€™ll be just fine. The motor is already detuned for longevity. Ford is confidant enough in it that they even offer a tune that lets you keep your warranty. Itā€™s not some high-strung super stressed motor, it is well within itā€™s operating envelope and Iā€™d expect it to go at least 250k with regular maintenance and maybe minor repairs.

As for carbon buildup on the valves, I hear that a lot, but I havenā€™t seen anyone who has had firsthand experience with that happening on any stock Ford di-only motors. Ford times the injection so that it begins while the intake valves are open, and keeps that a low risk. (that being said, if you get an aftermarket tune, you can get this issue because it messes with the injection timing)

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
from what little i know about these engines the 2.7 has something that reduces carbon buildup that the 2.3 doesnt
Itā€™s because the 2.7 has a combination port and Direct injection, so that the ā€œ Carbonā€™d upā€ valves get washed off by gasoline.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm a member of a Mustang forum, and haven't heard on anyone having any serious problems with those 2.3's. I know the engines are a bit different, but they are basically the same thing. I have friends that own the 2.7's, and 3.5's in their F-150's, and they have also been quite reliable. Most don't have the catch cans, and the 3.5 with approx. 125K miles hasn't suffered any maladies. Catch cans do their jobs well, and if it makes one feel better to have one that is the main thing. IMHO
Sponsored