First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
About 3 tanks ago I switched my display from the MPG to the Gauges for boost/oil/temp and it was the most freeing thing I have ever done with a vehicle. I just put 93 in (for the added HP) when I get below a quarter tank and I roll.
Sponsored

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Itā€™s my daily and 100 miles round trip everyday for work so I somewhat tend to care just to save a few dollars here and there. Work pays enough to cover my

This 1000%, I am always catching cars at exit lights that passed me hauling ass a few miles before.
Our driving styles are definitely different. If I put a ton of miles on the Bronco, I definitely would care about major petro expense. I'm retired, so not many miles. As for speeding, not so much. It's more about major acceleration up to speed. That's where the fun is and the MPG isn't. Major gas guz.

Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you want big gains it really will be more about driving habits. Earlier in the year I was under 17mpg, I started to change how heavy my foot was on the gas and increased my coasting distances coming to stops. Since then I'm steadily over 20mpg per tank of gas. I've also found Eco mode does make a difference compared to Sport. I'll start dropping tenths of MPG instantly in Sport mode if I drive more than 10 miles in it.

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 Door Outer Banks 2.7L Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So , 16.9 gallons x 19.1 , 322.79 miles. 16.9 x 19.7 , 332.93 miles. Difference total of 10.14 miles. 10.14 miles is roughly half savings of a gallon of fuel. Average atm in Virginia 3.42 a gallon. GRATS ON THE 1.21 savings per TANK. Amazing how insignificant this is , when you really look at the numbers..........However on the flip side......If the cost of Fuel roughly stays the same over 100k miles. YOU SAVED A WHOPPING 363.40 over 100 k miles...........Awesome.........lol

C-Note

Base
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m at 21 MPG on a 2 door base manual using cheap gas, mixed highway/grocery runs, no mods.

Sponsored

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Itā€™s not the brand of gas. That is all advertising BS.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've noticed that top tier gas really makes a difference in the bronco. Whenever I use shell or Mobil I get the best MPG. If I use BP it can be 2 to 3 mpg less

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 7MT Badlands is at 11,000 miles, I just started to use Motorcraft full syn oil, and have used 93 octane for almost a year. After about 2000 recent miles of very mixed driving (1500 mile roadtrip, and a few weeks of commuting since) I've been holding steady at 20.7mpg, give or take a few tenths. This beats the crap out of the EPA estimates, and I can't believe I'm only a few MPGs down from my old Outback.

I know you've got the six-banger but it seems like these trucks really like synthetic oil and higher octanes, regardless of engine choice.

Squatzzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.3 SAS BD Hardtop so far 13.6 MPG on my first 1700 miles. What am I doing wrong? lol

Sponsored

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The intercooler actually can help marginally with MPGs. Lower air charge temps can help the engine run higher timing and other tune goodness. But I am unsure if that is what happened with highway cruising.

This is a generalization, but true: All gasoline starts out the same. Octane numbers are managed through an additive, there is no difference in the "quality" of the base stock. I really wish we could ban the practice of calling higher octane pump gas "Premium, UltraTech, Platinum, etc." It is super misleading and people waste money on putting 93 in a car that is designed for 87, which turns into a LESS efficient scenario.

Then each brand will add their own additive packages. This is where Top Tier comes into play. Top Tier means the gasoline brand has added a sufficient amount, type, and blend of additives (Detergents) to reach their Top Tier level.

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

Now can Top Tier increase fuel economy short term? Ehh.... I am not sure, maybe... It would probably be very marginal. Long term, absolutely. Less deposits, less carbon, cleaner injectors, etc. For short term I think you'd have to compare extremes; a gasoline with the absolute bare minimum additives, to a Top Tier fuel.

Also remember, station to station, geography to geography, the ethanol percentage can change. You could go to one Shell station and get E15 (15% ethanol), then go to another Shell station and only get E5. It is a bit of a crap shoot sometimes. Typically there will be a sticker on the pump that says the MAXIMUM ethanol content, but that still doesn't mean you are getting the maximum ethanol out of the pump. It could be lower. A 10% swing in ethanol content would have an impact on fuel economy.

Slightly offtopic, E85 is the same deal. You never will get consistent 85% ethanol from a gas station, E85 means up to 85%, the range can be pretty wide, I've seen 50-55% ethanol up to 90-92%. VP Racing Fuel sells E85, that has a consistent ethanol content, that racers will use.

Fun fact, 89 octane, or mid-grade, is just 87 and 93 mixed, or 87 and 91 mixed. It is mixed at the fuel pump too, not the refinery. I avoid mid-grade at all costs. I know some Hemi equipped vehicles require it, but mid-grade is very inconsistent.

To summarize, everyone should be using Top Tier fuel and everyone should be running their manufacturer recommended or required octane level.

You most likely saw fuel economy changes from the wind, different ethanol levels, and even subconscious driving habits.

Also hand calc, don't trust the onboard computer.
Each oil refinery has their industry secrets, in addition to some are so run down with their equipment/storage tanks on the brink of failure (Martinez Refinery won't say their name). I worked in the Bay Area refineries for a construction contractor and will tell you that there is a difference in quality and processing (think of fountain soda which each store able to adjust the carbonation vs. syrup ratio). As you stated though, additives is used to help the fuel become cleaner and more stable. I will stick with choosing Chevron, Shell, 76, Mobile 1, Conoco Phillips.

I also remember in the late 90's working for a construction company removing metal 10,000 gallon tanks from the ground due to a new regulation to upgrade to a plastic. When excavating the old tanks from mostly 7-11 gas stations the tanks were with holes and would make the surrounding underground dirt gray due to fuel seepage. Sand would also find its way into the tank and potentially found its way in some vehicles gas tanks.

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My eco boost ranger lost about 2-3 MPG when it was cold out between the winter fuel an the extra time in warm up mode. I moved to a house with a heated garage an reducing warm up time helped reduce that. Seems like with that cold air it made more power though.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Stay light on the foot = decent MPG.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We just took a 1200mi round trip to Norfolk VA. On the way up there our gas mileage increased from 19.1 to 19.4 and I thought, OK, we're going downhill the whole way so we'll probably lose it all coming back. Came back yesterday and it actually went up since this picture to 19.7.

We recently switched to exclusively Sunoco 93, which is a bit of a pain because there aren't as many stations as other brands but my wife insisted because it consistently gives us better fuel economy. The other change was the CV Fab intercooler. I kinda doubt it's as much of a factor, but cool air does do wonders for the engine, so who knows?

2 door, 2.7 sasquatch with intake, exhaust, ford tune and cv fab intercooler.

IMG_20231023_080908.jpg
This seems very strange to me. I have the 2.7 in my F150 and I drive over 1000 miles per week. It gets excellent gas mileage as I have averaged over 22 miles per gallon the first 125,000 miles Iā€™ve owned it. However, Iā€™ve tried every brand and octane level there is, and I have never seen a noticeable change in my fuel mileage. The only thing that noticeably affects my mileage is the speed I drive, how much I coast when stopping, and the direction of the wind when Iā€™m driving.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Each oil refinery has their industry secrets, in addition to some are so run down with their equipment/storage tanks on the brink of failure (Martinez Refinery won't say their name). I worked in the Bay Area refineries for a construction contractor and will tell you that there is a difference in quality and processing (think of fountain soda which each store able to adjust the carbonation vs. syrup ratio). As you stated though, additives is used to help the fuel become cleaner and more stable. I will stick with choosing Chevron, Shell, 76, Mobile 1, Conoco Phillips.

I also remember in the late 90's working for a construction company removing metal 10,000 gallon tanks from the ground due to a new regulation to upgrade to a plastic. When excavating the old tanks from mostly 7-11 gas stations the tanks were with holes and would make the surrounding underground dirt gray due to fuel seepage. Sand would also find its way into the tank and potentially found its way in some vehicles gas tanks.
I definitely agree with you. I kept my soap box overly general.

Compare a garbage tier gas from a sketchy garbage gas station, to a prestine Shell station with fresh tanks and filters, huge difference. Not sure that is what the OP did though, so I left that bit out.

I have family in rural NC mountains and we only get gas from big top tier stations. Several of us have had bad gas before and have had to get towed.
Sponsored