• Poll closed .

TheWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Silverado HD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m not surprised at all. Just wish it worked out better for a family of 5.
I also have a family of 5. My kids are younger than yours. I had a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Even with three car seats stretched across the back seat, the experience was not bad at all. Although young, my children never complained.
I only sold it (to my dad so it stayed in the family) because it grossly lagged behind current safety technology; mine didn't even have side airbags. I became concerned that my selfish desire for top-down cruising in my 4x4 was doing so at an unfair compromise to my family's safety. Ultimately, I decided to move on to a full-size truck.
I will say the crew cab Sierra (I know you don't like GM, but my experience has been great) is much roomier than the jeep. We would consider taking the truck on a longer trip or on vacation if we so desired. It has the latch system we wanted, airbags, and a host of computer-assisted safety doodads (which I never cared about until I made these three chuckleheads.)
I love the truck, but when I saw the Bronco in its reveal form and looked at the safety suite availability, I'm thinking that this vehicle can give me the best of both worlds, safety, and my families coveted top-down rides.
Yes, it will be smaller than the full-size crew-cab truck. Yes, it will negate that vehicles use for vacation or long trip traveling. But for me, the around town top-down drives with my wife and kids make up for the sacrifice in space. I have experienced both and the space issues take a back seat to the smiles.
The wife is happy driving a larger SUV.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also have a family of 5. My kids are younger than yours. I had a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Even with three car seats stretched across the back seat, the experience was not bad at all. Although young, my children never complained.
I only sold it (to my dad so it stayed in the family) because it grossly lagged behind current safety technology; mine didn't even have side airbags. I became concerned that my selfish desire for top-down cruising in my 4x4 was doing so at an unfair compromise to my family's safety. Ultimately, I decided to move on to a full-size truck.
I will say the crew cab Sierra (I know you don't like GM, but my experience has been great) is much roomier than the jeep. We would consider taking the truck on a longer trip or on vacation if we so desired. It has the latch system we wanted, airbags, and a host of computer-assisted safety doodads (which I never cared about until I made these three chuckleheads.)
I love the truck, but when I saw the Bronco in its reveal form and looked at the safety suite availability, I'm thinking that this vehicle can give me the best of both worlds, safety, and my families coveted top-down rides.
Yes, it will be smaller than the full-size crew-cab truck. Yes, it will negate that vehicles use for vacation or long trip traveling. But for me, the around town top-down drives with my wife and kids make up for the sacrifice in space. I have experienced both and the space issues take a back seat to the smiles.
The wife is happy driving a larger SUV.
Sounds like very similar situations. If your little ones are still in car seats, give the MiFold seats a look. They were amazing for my kids. Took some getting used to as far as trusting their design, but they’re legit. Saves a TON of space in a single row with three kids.

I don’t want to tell you that eventually you’ll feel the way I do, but I know I felt exactly like you did a few years back when my kids were smaller. They’re still little munchkins. Wife is 5’2” and they all took after her so far. But now they know what they want to bring on road trips and outings versus just being content with whatever mom and dad packed for them. It changes things a bit. Plus like I said previously, I’m ashamed to admit that I too look for more creature comforts when I head outdoors now. With a crappy back from Uncle Sam, I need a little more comfort when I can get it. Space runs out quickly these days.

TheWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Silverado HD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sounds like very similar situations. If your little ones are still in car seats, give the MiFold seats a look. They were amazing for my kids. Took some getting used to as far as trusting their design, but they’re legit. Saves a TON of space in a single row with three kids.

I don’t want to tell you that eventually you’ll feel the way I do, but I know I felt exactly like you did a few years back when my kids were smaller. They’re still little munchkins. Wife is 5’2” and they all took after her so far. But now they know what they want to bring on road trips and outings versus just being content with whatever mom and dad packed for them. It changes things a bit. Plus like I said previously, I’m ashamed to admit that I too look for more creature comforts when I head outdoors now. With a crappy back from Uncle Sam, I need a little more comfort when I can get it. Space runs out quickly these days.
Thanks for the link to the MiFold, I had seen the original folding booster (and use a similar bubble bum for one of my kids) but had yet to see the high back booster. My middle child is TINY and will benefit from a high back booster for a while. I understand what you mean about autonomously deciding what to bring, and the kids getting bigger themselves.
Maybe my mindset comes from being a teenager when my father bought his first wrangler. As a family of four, with my brother and me being essentially man-children, we would crowd into his small wrangler for day trips regularly and appreciated the open-air ride. I cannot recall going on vacation in it and we certainly weren't a camping or overlanding family, but we put a TON of miles on the jeep just taking "jeep-rides."
When my wife and I had the wrangler, we would do the same, and she admits she misses it. We don't use them the same way you are suggesting with camping, and that likely makes all the difference, but we love the opportunity to get the whole gang back in a convertible 4x4.
Don't let others make you feel shamed for creature comfort, you deserve it dang it; thank you for your service!

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just joined the forum, so this is my first post. I was going to start a thread on this exact topic. I do think the bronco is just a touch small for alot of people. My first vehicle was an '82 ford bronco, so I would love to get another for nostalgia purposes, but really want to see the space limitations in person first.

While it is true that a longer wheelbase and frame may be slightly less capable and manueverable off-road on tight trails. It would be better for many to have the extra space in 90% of situations. It's a very similar argument actually to IFS vs SFA. SFAs are certainly better in a few isolated off-road situations, but the majority of the time are unnecessary/less ideal. If they had a Big Bronco option that was 20-30% larger it would work great for a bunch more people and still could bee very capable off-road.

I wish Ford would build a full size SUV on the raptor platform or that Ram would build a monster full size SUV on the Power Wagon platform. Have, all the lockers, suspension, sway bar disconnect, winch, tires, etc and still get a ton of space for people, camping and dogs. Payload may pose a challenge, but it's certainly doable. It needs a huge V8 off course. Landcruiser is probably the closest vehicle currently and it's absurdly expensive. I think Ford or Ram could do it for around $60k-ish. I know this is probably a pipe dream with current fuel standards, but one can dream. Not having a true Big Bronco is the one let down/pause for me.

A bigger bronco would appeal to families like the original poster and overlanders, as well as hunters and dog people like me who need to get into the backcountry/off-road areas with a bunch of gear for a week or two at a time and who but who need/want more space.

It's funny but Bronco is actually competing against Raptors, Power Wagons and Landcruisers for a bunch of us when shopping. I bought a new loaded out power wagon last year for $60k, which is likely what a loaded Badlands will go for. And you can even get a Tradesman with PW package in the 40s. It even come with Vinyl floors standard, haha!

We will probably end up getting a 4 door Bronco for my wife as her daily driver and lighter trips, but we will certainly be compromising on the desired space front. I imagine alot of people, especially outside this enthusiasts forum will be in the same boat.

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I look at the 2 door versus the 4 door, I lean to the 2 door partly because the 4 door just isn't that much bigger.

If I could get a minivan with a "granny gear" and 8" of clearance I'd skip the bronco.yota_previaSmall.jpg
z+february_2009_4x4_trucks+1995_toyota_previaSmall.jpg

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just joined the forum, so this is my first post. I was going to start a thread on this exact topic. I do think the bronco is just a touch small for alot of people. My first vehicle was an '82 ford bronco, so I would love to get another for nostalgia purposes, but really want to see the space limitations in person first.

While it is true that a longer wheelbase and frame may be slightly less capable and manueverable off-road on tight trails. It would be better for many to have the extra space in 90% of situations. It's a very similar argument actually to IFS vs SFA. SFAs are certainly better in a few isolated off-road situations, but the majority of the time are unnecessary/less ideal. If they had a Big Bronco option that was 20-30% larger it would work great for a bunch more people and still could bee very capable off-road.

I wish Ford would build a full size SUV on the raptor platform or that Ram would build a monster full size SUV on the Power Wagon platform. Have, all the lockers, suspension, sway bar disconnect, winch, tires, etc and still get a ton of space for people, camping and dogs. Payload may pose a challenge, but it's certainly doable. It needs a huge V8 off course. Landcruiser is probably the closest vehicle currently and it's absurdly expensive. I think Ford or Ram could do it for around $60k-ish. I know this is probably a pipe dream with current fuel standards, but one can dream. Not having a true Big Bronco is the one let down/pause for me.

A bigger bronco would appeal to families like the original poster and overlanders, as well as hunters and dog people like me who need to get into the backcountry/off-road areas with a bunch of gear for a week or two at a time and who but who need/want more space.

It's funny but Bronco is actually competing against Raptors, Power Wagons and Landcruisers for a bunch of us when shopping. I bought a new loaded out power wagon last year for $60k, which is likely what a loaded Badlands will go for. And you can even get a Tradesman with PW package in the 40s. It even come with Vinyl floors standard, haha!

We will probably end up getting a 4 door Bronco for my wife as her daily driver and lighter trips, but we will certainly be compromising on the desired space front. I imagine alot of people, especially outside this enthusiasts forum will be in the same boat.
That would be cool to see a bigger but still purpose built and really capable “super Bronco” on the Raptor platform. Something akin to the Jeep Gladiator in wheelbase and length. Those are still super capable off road.

The Power Wagon is one of the best deals around in my opinion. Especially that Tradesman build you mentioned. That is a ton of space and one seriously capable truck for a truck load less money.

The wife wanted 7 seats in her car/SUV, good all wheel drive for winters in the Sierras, decent gas mileage, and good safety, so the Subaru Ascent absolutely knocked it out of the park in that regard. Ours is fairly loaded minus leather and chrome (which is an abomination in my opinion) and I got it for under $40k. Couldn’t say no really when it checked literally every box she needed and wanted. I’d love for her to have a Bronco and me a Raptor, Power Wagon or TRD Pro, but that’s just not going to happen.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Believe it or not we’ve considered those as well. You can price yourself out pretty quickly on them though haha
I like them just for the fact you can get the baby Duramax diesel in it! Bronco really needs a small diesel option.

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like them just for the fact you can get the baby Duramax diesel in it! Bronco really needs a small diesel option.
Agreed.

It’s weird but I feel like the 4xe Wrangler which was officially released today really does steal a lot of the Bronco’s clout back. They already sell a diesel Wrangler and now this hybrid. Specs sounds pretty amazing actually. Certainly puts the numbers from the Bronco to shame and they’re no joke. Ford is going to have to release the Warthog or a hybrid of their own to keep pace and the Bronco hasn’t even hit showrooms yet. Hell, the build and price isn’t even out yet!!!!

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP thinking about rolling with 5 people and a dog in a Bronco. I'm over here wishing that I didn't replace my MkT with an MKX because it has less space for my family of three and a dog.

(My MkT was totaled and I could not find another one that I liked by the time my insurance paid rental was up)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP thinking about rolling with 5 people and a dog in a Bronco. I'm over her wishing that I didn't replace my MkT with an MKX because it has less space for my family of three and a dog.

(My MkT was totaled and I could not find another one that I liked by the time my insurance paid rental was up)
The struggle is real.
Sponsored