Sponsored

Anyone holding out long term to be a future classic, or in the Bronco for the long haul?

Deleted User 21488

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Plymouth Duster, 2013 Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you've ever looked into doing a proper LS swap you'll know it's not something your average joe can do at home.
Agree to respectfully disagree!

But keeping on target, the point I am making is this; while the tech is inaccessible or complicated now, in 20 years time it will be "old tech", cracked many times over, with plenty of aftermarket support.

You can buy an entire plug-and-play EFI controller for the LS (or the Hemi) now - inconceivable 15 years ago!
Sponsored

Kyukidoeric

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (former 69 & 77 Bronco owner)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 2021 Base AMB Sasquatchā€™d 2.7 soft top that was delivered October of 2021 for $38K. In December of 2021 I checked the vehicle buying sites and the highest offer was $59K. Hindsight tells me I should have sold it then. Even checking the buying sites now though offers are still in the $43K range. Iā€™ll probably end up selling it in a few years when a newer model peaks my interest.

IMG_8425.jpeg
Those buying sites are crazy. I did the same. I had some solid offers thru the sites and over the phone for $46k as a trade and after I spoke in person, the price dropped down to $33k. The dealer said it's a scam to get people to come into the dealership. We were going to buy a new instock 23 after banking from our 22, but we walked after the $46k dropped to $33.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think anyone who purchases a regular car in hopes that it becomes a classic is financially misguided. To me, itā€™s the equivalent of guys who try real hard to be cool; means theyā€™re not cool at all. Cool is effortless.

Most cars become collectors items on a whim. Sure, thereā€™s always been special editions, but what made that car so cool can vary, but rarely is it intentional.

Those born during the 70ā€™s grew up collecting shit. Baseball cards, comics, Garbage Pail Kids, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Star Wars everything, Starting Line Up dolls, whatever. Now, those kids are adults and still want to collect things for no reason such as whiskey. Whiskeyā€™s for dranking, not staring at.

A Bronco isnā€™t a doll or pavement princess sports car, itā€™sā€™ meant to be driven hard and put away wet to cry it all off. Whatā€™s there to collect? Whereā€™s the character thatā€™ll last forever?

Bronco is a symbol. Symbol of America, the outdoors, and the freedom to pursue it. This is where the value is for a Bronco. Most will also be daily drivers as theyā€™re meant to be.

The original gen 1 was such as collectors item because it was groundbreaking and beautiful, but only became a thing of value in the last 15-20 years.

Point here is, donā€™t buy your Bronco to think itā€™s cute or that you look cool in it in the driveway; you donā€™t. Get it dirty and thatā€™s what kids, women, whoever will find cool.

Otherwise, just a lame guy with a cool car, which ainā€˜t cool at all.

Drive it, then if you sell it, fine, if you keep it, fine as well.
Agree. I had a 2014 FJ TTUE that I was selling off to get my Bronco. I thought about keeping it because it's a special edition, it was the last year FJs were made, etc. I am of that 70's era you speak of, but then I thought to myself that I'm not making money off of it. If I invest that money, I would likely come out with the same or more in the same amount of time. Actually having the auto itself doesn't make me 'cool'. I don't care about that. Auto museums exist for a reason. If I just plan to keep and not drive an auto, why do I keep it at all?

So I sold it for someone else to drive and enjoy. I got my time out of it. Snapped a few pics of it and that was that.

Same with my FE. I don't plan on it to be worth any more than any other Bronco. The 2013 10th Anniversary Jeep Rubicons don't really command any more money than a regular JKU. The Jeeps that are worth a decent amount are the late run of LJ rubicons. Who would have known that those odd looking things would have been worth more in the future back in 2006. I surely didn't.

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think there are so many possibilities. If all cars go EV (I personally donā€™t think they will) then there is a chance of these Broncos turning into classics. If Ford phases out the Bronco again I could certainly see that happening, especially on Raptors or limited trims. Iā€™m unsure that any of these modern vehicles are going to age well due to their complexity. I do think that broncos will continue to have great resale value like Jeeps, Toyotas, etc. Depending on reliability, I plan on holding on to mine for as long as Iā€™m able. Bronco Raptor is my new dream vehicle though:)

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think anyone who purchases a regular car in hopes that it becomes a classic is financially misguided. To me, itā€™s the equivalent of guys who try real hard to be cool; means theyā€™re not cool at all. Cool is effortless.

Most cars become collectors items on a whim. Sure, thereā€™s always been special editions, but what made that car so cool can vary, but rarely is it intentional.

Those born during the 70ā€™s grew up collecting shit. Baseball cards, comics, Garbage Pail Kids, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Star Wars everything, Starting Line Up dolls, whatever. Now, those kids are adults and still want to collect things for no reason such as whiskey. Whiskeyā€™s for dranking, not staring at.

A Bronco isnā€™t a doll or pavement princess sports car, itā€™sā€™ meant to be driven hard and put away wet to cry it all off. Whatā€™s there to collect? Whereā€™s the character thatā€™ll last forever?

Bronco is a symbol. Symbol of America, the outdoors, and the freedom to pursue it. This is where the value is for a Bronco. Most will also be daily drivers as theyā€™re meant to be.

The original gen 1 was such as collectors item because it was groundbreaking and beautiful, but only became a thing of value in the last 15-20 years.

Point here is, donā€™t buy your Bronco to think itā€™s cute or that you look cool in it in the driveway; you donā€™t. Get it dirty and thatā€™s what kids, women, whoever will find cool.

Otherwise, just a lame guy with a cool car, which ainā€˜t cool at all.

Drive it, then if you sell it, fine, if you keep it, fine as well.
Very well said!! Whiskey on me anytime!!!!!!

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even current "collectible" cars ie musclecars/classics etc are very difficult to make any money on. People do it for the enjoyment and because they have nostalgia for the cars they grew up around...that would include me, but an investment? Terrible idea! If you have the means and wana mothball a 6g Bronco just so you can play with it years down the road? By all means! That will be cool! But I wouldn't count on retiring on speculated Broncos or any other vehicle for that matter...not a smart money move! They do have a strong fan base, and production has not met demand, so values should hold up better than the average vehicle...but that's about as good as we can hope for I think!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Agree. I had a 2014 FJ TTUE that I was selling off to get my Bronco. I thought about keeping it because it's a special edition, it was the last year FJs were made, etc. I am of that 70's era you speak of, but then I thought to myself that I'm not making money off of it. If I invest that money, I would likely come out with the same or more in the same amount of time. Actually having the auto itself doesn't make me 'cool'. I don't care about that. Auto museums exist for a reason. If I just plan to keep and not drive an auto, why do I keep it at all?

So I sold it for someone else to drive and enjoy. I got my time out of it. Snapped a few pics of it and that was that.

Same with my FE. I don't plan on it to be worth any more than any other Bronco. The 2013 10th Anniversary Jeep Rubicons don't really command any more money than a regular JKU. The Jeeps that are worth a decent amount are the late run of LJ rubicons. Who would have known that those odd looking things would have been worth more in the future back in 2006. I surely didn't.
I sold my LJ Rubicon to get my Bronc, it had a salvage tittle but in good shape so I didn't get a huge premium. It's crazy what a good LJ will fetch. But I do believe it was the best Jeep with the most potential ever made.

Kevin W

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB 4dr Sasq Base and an Erup Green 2dr Sasq Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Those buying sites are crazy. I did the same. I had some solid offers thru the sites and over the phone for $46k as a trade and after I spoke in person, the price dropped down to $33k. The dealer said it's a scam to get people to come into the dealership. We were going to buy a new instock 23 after banking from our 22, but we walked after the $46k dropped to $33.
Weā€™ve sold two vehicles through the online car buying sites. Both times the dealer we took it to paid the offer. Just last year we sold a 2020 Subaru and we got paid $500 less than what we paid for it new 2 years prior.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I made sure to order mine with the manual transmission as as little tech as was actually possible.
And of course, 2 doors.

Because nobody wants a classic vehicle with an automatic transmission. ;-)

zerk4321

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I plan on keeping mine forever.

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I sold my 1995 Lightning in 2020 after owning it 25 years. Just wasnā€™t moving the needle for me like it did. Somebody else was willing to pay me more than I paid for it new. He was happy and so was I. Who knew it would be three years before Iā€™d get itā€™s replacement. :unsure:

You never know what will happen in 25 years! Enjoy it until you donā€™t.

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've never considered any of my vehicles as an investment when I first purchased them . I bought them because they were what I wanted at the time. I'm one to keep, maintain, and drive them into the ground. I didn't go wrong with the 64 Fairlane K code Fairlane, 73 Bronco Ranger, and 75 F-100 Custom I bought, and still have, all in excellent condition. My 23 Wildtrac will join the group. My grandchildren already have the the dibs. Makes me SMILE!

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™ve been thinking about this occasionally. Or at least whenever a new vehicle comes out that slightly gets me interested.

For context - I specā€™d it out at the prospect of being a future classic or at least something that would continue to interest me long term (first model year 2021 antimatter blue on roast OBX sas, loaded, hardtopā€¦actually first hardtop my dealer got in). And with AMB dropped its even more special. Iā€™m not saying I have high hopes it will be a future classic, itā€™s probably doubtful, but I wanted a very special spec for the first model year that aged well that I would appreciate. The plan was to keep it for a solid 15+ years. Pass it down to kids as they start driving etc

I think I may always be between ā€œitā€™s not for saleā€ / I wouldnā€™t let her go for under an outrageous price, like 75k+ for my spec (keep in mind Iā€™m only putting 3k miles a year - not intentionally BTW)ā€¦.Markets at maybe at 55k. So huge disconnect that will continue to grow. So whether I want to keep it forever or not Iā€™m almost stuck with it because I donā€™t think Iā€™d ever be willing to sell at a price the market will bear.

Does it actually become a future classic or something that starts to appreciate in value in 20+ years? IDK. But seeing that I wonā€™t be willing to sell at a mutual price, I may be naturally waiting to see what the future holds anyway

again, very odd situation. Iā€™ve treated all other vehicles as more of a commodity. But my bronco, will be with me for a very long time. I say that in more of a good way then a bad way. Just hope it doesnā€™t become a love/hate relationship in 10 years if itā€™s time to move on and Iā€™m unwilling to sell for a certain price.

anyone else in this boat? I guess this is what happens when guys are simply in the ā€œitā€™s not for sale campā€ forever with a vehicle they are passionate about. This is a first for me
I have an 11 year old and a 7 year old. They are already talking about driving it when they are old enough. If it drives, it will always be in my garage. At least that's what I'm saying now. Asking me again in 20 years.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I own a long-term classic it'd be my mk1 TT, but that's been modded and I have more parts in waiting, so ehhhh. I've also owned it 16 years (holy crap!), so I can comment on its provenance. It'll be a Barret-Jackson darling in 2040 šŸ„³

I do plan to keep the Bronco, and will probably do small stuff but then eventually completely rebuild it; for anyone assuming 5-10 year ownership the aftermarket will be a lot more impressive within the next 5 years.

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who could have foreseen million $ mopar muscle cars. Most of those things were junk when they got to 10 years old. I owned several and never paid over $850 for one.
Now if I had that same collection it would make a nice addition to retirement.
I wonā€™t live long enough to see if that happens to the Bronco.
Sponsored