First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
See if they’ll bend it back and get it reinforced. Also, FFS you should be able to back into rocks and not destroy your frame.
Not when it's a designated crumple zone.
Sponsored

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
3,340 to 4,500 lbs tow rating and put a crumple zone right at the hitch. I seriously do not think so. That would be mind boggling stupid. I can see the crumple zones in the frame picture.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

UPDATE: Here's info from @flip regarding replacement frames now available:

Per @flip - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...cking-into-a-creek-boulder.52372/post-1560288

If this would've been 6 months ago he would've been totaled. There are a couple dozen of these at the depot in Detroit. I don't know if the service procedure requires the body to come off or just the bumper but better this get trashed than one of the rear rails. The part with the green triangle (rear subframe section) is also available. Front section (out of pic) shows 1 in the warehouse for the 2.3 and 1 for the 2.7. Looks like there are one or two full frames now available as well so if you get side smacked with frame damage, it may not total due to part availability.
MB3Z-5F146-A
1661426024229.png

ORIGINAL POST:

What had happened was I left a hitch on the Bronco and backed into a boulder in a creek. We need not recount how many dumb ideas I had this weekend, but rather look forward at the ramifications. The frame is real real bent. Other than being ugly and moving my hitch an inch or two towards the body, what other problems might this cause if I don't have a body shop fix it?

20220823_170520.jpg

20220823_170427.jpg

20220823_170336.jpg
I believe it hitches can cause unexpectedproblems, some years ago I had an old-style boxy Ford Escape. I had a local shop install an aftermarket 2" receiver hitch on it. Year or two later, was rear-ended by a (Phillies Game) drunk driver on I-95 at speed. Car was drivable, but I wasn't! Insurance totaled the car and paid me off. Auto Body shop said the car would have been repairable if not for the hitch! Said that the leverage caused by the hitch being hit, caused unrepairable damage to rear floor pan/frame! I think about that when I drive around with my bike rack, or Kuat Pivot alone!

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As I remember, thats a "special" steel, dont know how that affects repair or welding

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Raptor braces won't work on non Raptors unless the muffler is removed. I've not put hands on the braces yet but don't think they provide much in the way strength. Mainly there to take some of the flex/twist out of the hitch and crossmember when towing a heavy load.
Are these welded in as a subframe piece? I haven't seen a side-by-side of Bronco v Braptor frames.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To bad that wasn't just bolted on. I find it so odd that they seemed to have engineered it to be replacable, yet welded it to make it not-really.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are these welded in as a subframe piece? I haven't seen a side-by-side of Bronco v Braptor frames.
I have a few raptor hitches and they have two 8 or 10mm holes drilled in the bottom with nuts welded on. The braces appear to just be bolted to the hitch then a couple bolt to the frame. Since they attach to the bottom of the hitch the only thing I can think they do is keep the hitch from torqueing/twisting when pulling something heavy.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a few raptor hitches and they have two 8 or 10mm holes drilled in the bottom with nuts welded on. The braces appear to just be bolted to the hitch then a couple bolt to the frame. Since they attach to the bottom of the hitch the only thing I can think they do is keep the hitch from torqueing/twisting when pulling something heavy.
I would think that’s accurate and reasonable
I also note most people disregard the rear suspension squat when towing on the bronco
CG shift is huge on braking/handling

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I guess the trade off is if the hitch is frame rail mounted or not on a crumble design spec brace, your gonna tweak the whole thing instead of an easily replaceable crush bar.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would think that’s accurate and reasonable
I also note most people disregard the rear suspension squat when towing on the bronco
CG shift is huge on braking/handling
I don't know all of the upgrades they made to up the towing capacity but it seems like they're aware of the flex between the hitch and the crossmember so they added the strut bars. My guess is the biggest piece was the addition of the additional OTA trans cooler. Might be some rear spring upgrades but haven't dug enough to see if those are unique to raptor or one they're already using on a tow package.

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few things here.

1. This is exactly why I opted to not get the tow package. That receiver will likely be the first thing that hits in any situation and you lose departure angle.

2. On my Dad's FJ Cruiser we actually cut this rear frame member out and moved it towards the front a couple of inches to help with that. Fully aware that doing so could change how the vehicle reacts in a crash situation. We didn't think it would be too much of a risk (looking back he probably should have made the dealership aware of that when he traded it in........).

3. Where is your muffler? Is it a thing to cut the muffler off on a Bronco? Don't get me wrong, I've ran straight pipes on several V8s, but never of a twin turbo V6....

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is why I wheel a 2004 Jeep.

This is NOT a dig at Ford,
but more at modern vehicles with too many safety features, electronic nannies and crumple zones.

When I am rock crawling, I don't wan't something electric or computer related, being the reason my day ends. Shit breaks, and I want to be sure I can carry a spare part and replace it.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Had to be or faster. Just did that with my Gladiator into a tree backing up. Looking at clearing a rock and was being stupid. Was a jarring stop but no damage at all to the rig. Tree has a new tattoo. If a Bronco cannot take a hit to what should be one of the most solid parts on the vehicle at 5 - 10 mph then Ford should repair this on their dime and use it as a learning tool and fix it. That is seriously unsafe and a huge issue.
If you look at how the receiver mounts, it isnt hard to see how having a hitch in the receiver and hitting something solid could torque that crossmember.

Gladiator hitch probably mounts to the frame rails rather than a crossmember...

Moral of the story, don't leave a hitch in the receiver...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A few things here.

1. This is exactly why I opted to not get the tow package. That receiver will likely be the first thing that hits in any situation and you lose departure angle.

2. On my Dad's FJ Cruiser we actually cut this rear frame member out and moved it towards the front a couple of inches to help with that. Fully aware that doing so could change how the vehicle reacts in a crash situation. We didn't think it would be too much of a risk (looking back he probably should have made the dealership aware of that when he traded it in........).

3. Where is your muffler? Is it a thing to cut the muffler off on a Bronco? Don't get me wrong, I've ran straight pipes on several V8s, but never of a twin turbo V6....
The Flowmaster High Clearance Axle Back exhaust is essentially a straight pipe, pull the muffler and it tucks right in. 10 minutes to swap before an off-roading trip, it's loud, but it doesn't sound bad. Only $135, routes the exhaust all the way back, and it looks good too.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not sure why folks get surprised that you can tweak a rear cross member without a huge amount of effort. Same has been true for...ever, long time, whatever time frame you want to put. They are stout enough but the crossmember and frames in general are not indestructible and never have been.

This is why you have to be careful about using a crossmember mounted hitch (or just the crossmember iteself) as a pulling point when extracting vehicles.

My funniest story is extracting a F250 from a mud pit. He was stuck hard and no one had the heft (or cable length) to extract him, except my truck with PTO winch. I chained my truck to a tree and handed the guy the end of the cable to attach out in the mud. I told him I'll extract whatever you attach it to, so make sure you pick something stout. He picked the rear crossmember. Yep, bent it right in the middle...think a shallow V. I told him sorry for bending it but he was happy to be out.
Sponsored