Threads
Reaction score
Website
broox.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The rear bench seat of my Jeep spent most of it's life in a Christmas tree storage bag in my basement... and I had a similar plan once I traded the Jeep in for the Bronco. But I was pretty bummed to learn that it was a lot more work to add/remove the rear Bronco seats (bolts, sensors, and tools? wtf!)... so, I just went scorched earth and ripped everything out, along with the seatbelts.

With the rear seats out of the bronco, the floor is pretty ugly, with random bolts, holes, and cuts in the floor liner. It was gonna be pretty annoying to use as a "truck bed" this way, so I did what many others have done, and started researching/designing a flat "bed."

Goose Gear's system looks nice but is frankly overpriced. I didn't need the modularity that they offered, and didn't really like that the tool storage bin required more tools to open. I do like their fit and finish though, so I decided to build something similar, that fit my needs.

Materials:
  • Cabinet grade plywood (given to me by a trim carpenter buddy 😁)
  • double offset piano hinges
  • 2 - M12-1.75 x 60mm allen bolts
  • 8 - M8-1.25 x 40mm allen bolts
  • 4 - M8-1.25 x 20mm threaded inserts
  • 6 pocket screws
  • wood glue
  • black primer
  • raptor bed liner kit
And with that, I scribed everything out, made a cardboard template, and got to work. Here are the photos of my build...

Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform seats-out-next-remove-the-seatbelts-and-build-a
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform scribing-the-back-of-the-bronco
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform bronco-platform-template-cut-out
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform like-a-glove
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform storage-hatch-front-supports-built-ready-for-paint
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform oh-yeah
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform first-time-spraying-bedliner-got-a-bit-of-tiger-on
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform i-decided-to-spray-everything-with-bedliner-to-it
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform bronco-platform-installed
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform raptor-lined-bronco-platform-installed
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform front-support (1)

I'm super happy with how it turned out, but like any project, I learned a couple things that I might do differently if I tackled again.
  1. I wish I would've waited to drill the finger hole in the hatch. I'm thinking about putting a keyed latch on the door so that the storage is actually secured while the top's off. I won't need the finger hole once I do that.
  2. I wish I would've masked the interior plastic with blue tape. Lightly dragging a piece of wood along the side to scribe my template was enough to scratch the plastic. I also got a few scuffs from taking the platform in/out during the build process. Cheap-ass Ford plastic...
    Ah well, it's a truck and a toy. These won't be the last blemishes. But uh, anyone have tips on how to make these scratches a bit less noticeable?
  3. I wish I had a bit more practice with spraying bedliner. This was my first time and I got a bit of tiger striping on the big piece. It's barely noticeable once installed, and I think it'll soften even more in time... but it still bugs me.
That said, I've got a couple small modifications planned already. I'll post updates here once I tackle em.

1. I added a rubber mat to the top
Sponsored

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nicely done!!! Plus bed liner (sprayed), perfect... That's my go to spray for everything.

Team 2 Door = Purpose Built and Bad Ass 👍👍

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My man! Would you be willing to post some of your overall dimensions, and maybe a link to the hinges?

The bedliner is honestly an awesome idea. I’m not thrilled with the indoor/outdoor carpet that seems to be the go-to for platforms. Was considering trying to find some robust vinyl that sort of matches the washout floor, but that liner looks great.

I’m considering spacing my platform up 6” or so so for some hidden topless storage. (Or my latest thought is to get a tonneau cover made to attach to the MIC top bolt holes).

Anyone have a reason why I couldn’t use OSB or something on the cheaper end (vs nice plywood)?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The rear bench seat of my Jeep spent most of it's life in a Christmas tree storage bag in my basement... and I had a similar plan once I traded the Jeep in for the Bronco. But I was pretty bummed to learn that it was a lot more work to add/remove the rear Bronco seats (bolts, sensors, and tools? wtf!)... so, I just went scorched earth and ripped everything out, along with the seatbelts.

With the rear seats out of the bronco, the floor is pretty ugly, with random bolts, holes, and cuts in the floor liner. It was gonna be pretty annoying to use as a "truck bed" this way, so I did what many others have done, and started researching/designing a flat "bed."

Goose Gear's system looks nice but is frankly overpriced. I didn't need the modularity that they offered, and didn't really like that the tool storage bin required more tools to open. I do like their fit and finish though, so I decided to build something similar, that fit my needs.

Materials:
  • Cabinet grade alder (given to me by a trim carpenter buddy 😁)
  • double offset piano hinges
  • 2 - M12-1.75 bolts
  • 8 - M8-1.25 bolts
  • 4 - M8-1.25 threaded inserts
  • black primer
  • raptor bed liner kit
And with that, I scribed everything out, made a cardboard template, and got to work. Here are the photos of my build...

Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform 81P0zmPndQL._AC_SL1500_
Ford Bronco Broox's DIY 2-Door Seat Delete + Raptor Lined Cargo Platform 81P0zmPndQL._AC_SL1500_

I'm super happy with how it turned out, but like any project, I learned a couple things that I might do differently if I tackled again.
  1. I wish I would've waited to drill the finger hole in the hatch. I'm thinking about putting a keyed latch on the door so that the storage is actually secured while the top's off. I won't need the finger hole once I do that.
  2. I wish I would've masked the interior plastic with blue tape. Lightly dragging a piece of wood along the side to scribe my template was enough to scratch the plastic. I also got a few scuffs from taking the platform in/out during the build process. Cheap-ass Ford plastic...
    Ah well, it's a truck and a toy. These won't be the last blemishes. But uh, anyone have tips on how to make these scratches a bit less noticeable?
  3. I wish I had a bit more practice with spraying bedliner. This was my first time and I got a bit of tiger striping on the big piece. It's barely noticeable once installed, and I think it'll soften even more in time... but it still bugs me.
That said, I've got a couple small modifications planned already. I'll post updates here once I tackle em.
My thoughts and plans to a T. 'Clapping '

subg

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice work.

If I recall, 72 inches on the angle? You can sleep in there if you're under that.

Sponsored

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very well done!!

KRAKEN

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 DOOR BRONCO, 2014 F150 XLT, 2006 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing so we can copy your excellent work. Update us when you install the lock, that's a great idea.

I had not seen those Mabett side protective covers... interesting option other than lower molle panels.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nice!

You're giving me ideas for my JL, which lost its rear seat the day I got it home.

OP
OP
broox

broox

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
broox.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My man! Would you be willing to post some of your overall dimensions, and maybe a link to the hinges?
I started with a 4'x8' sheet of plywood (which was ~1/2" strong on both sides), cut it to 48.5" x 53" and then scribed/cut from there.

The base is roughly 48.5" from front to back in the center, where the little bump out is on the hatch. You'll need roughly this length if you want supports that sit in the footwells. You could go a bit shorter if you angle the footwell supports (which might be nice to give you the ability to recline the seat more), but I made mine 90º.

The width of the base ranges from 42-1/8" at the very back to 52-1/8" at the front. Mine got wider and then gradually got narrower to where the V notch is in the interior side panels... then it got wider again before flaring out around the cupholders. Don't trust my measurements, and scribe it for a consistent fit!

The hatch door is roughly 26.5" wide and 17" deep on center of the cuts, and the footwell supports are 9" x 17".

I got the M8 threaded inserts (for the supports) and M12 bolts (which thread into the old seatbelt holes) from McMaster-Carr, the other M8 bolts from my local Ace Hardware, and the double offset hinges (2 of them) from Amazon: https://a.co/d/eG2rBfQ

I went with these hinges because they're built for boat hatches and are intended to sit flush with the rest of the deck.

Anyone have a reason why I couldn’t use OSB or something on the cheaper end (vs nice plywood)?
You could use OSB but I don't think it finishes as nice and will have gnarlier edges. I was after a clean finish with nicely routed edges. MDF and Particle board would work but will be less rigid and more prone to water/moisture damage unless you really make sure to coat all sides and add more support underneath.

Last edited:
OP
OP
broox

broox

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
broox.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice work.

If I recall, 72 inches on the angle? You can sleep in there if you're under that.
I'm 5'11" and am able to lay down at an angle with the seat pushed all the way forward! Not something I want to do on the regular, but would definitely work for short trips.
Sponsored