Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just called my Dealer and they said the wait time is 2 months and I can put my name in the wait list as their service department will not be doing this fix but they will be sending it somewhere and they only do 1 vehicle at a time, she kind of said that Mustangs also has the same issue. So I guess it would be Sept-Oct for my turn.

Previously I got a Check Engine light for Fuel Sensor issue and I called Ford Dealers in Montreal during Apr-May time frame and they all said about 2 months wait time. I guess its the same in US and Canada regarding Broncos. I did follow few Hacks I found on youtube and none worked and one fine day the light disappeared and its been 2 weeks already. My FordPass does not show the indicator.
Sponsored

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Mustang,'08 Honda Civic,'03 15hh QH Paint mare
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What makes them so sure the “glass guy’s” preferred urethane is compliant or better than what was used at MAP Everyone subs out glass work. They will go to body shops, parking lots and replace windshields. They won’t be stopping at the dealer to pick up some fantasy urethane. The recall seems to state “insufficient adhesion” not insufficient adhesive. “Urethane” this is not a bolt on/ bolt off part. This is a butcher off/ butcher on part. NHTSA knows more than me, but this seems like if it’s not broke then don’t fix it. Ford has to cover their ass though.
My thought exactly. The devil you know for the devil you don't.

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The root cause of the Windshield failure is the Paint chemistry and the Paint curing in the assembly plant. This is not just an issue with the Ford Bronco but other Ford assembly plants and OEM's that use the same paint system. The Urethane is applied Primerless to Paint in all the affected assembly plants. If the Paint chemistry changes or the Process curing conditions vary then the Adhesive bond has the potential for Interfacial failure at the Adhesive-Paint interface. Until the Paint Chemistry and Paint bake oven conditions are fixed a Paint Primer will be used to assure no interfacial failure occurs. Now the fix is not just pull and replace the windshield with new Urethane Adhesive - the origional Urethane bead on the paint needs to be totally ground off and the body bonding area thoroughly cleaned. Then a Body Primer is applied to the vehicle and a fresh bead of Urethane adhesvie is applied and the windshield that was removed and cleaned will be reinstalled in the vehicle. The use of Paint primer is an additional step and has been eliminated with most OEM paint systems and use of a Primerless to Paint Urethane. Besides the extra step of Body Paint priming which adds cost there could be extra cost associated with Body Paint primer dripping outside the bonding area - then that in many cases will require a body repaint - which is unacceptable due to the Windshield being installed in the Trim Shop in the assembly plant (one of the last steps in assembly). The Paint Chemistry and the Curing Conditions in the assemble plant needs to be lock in for use of Primerless to Paint Urethane.
So are you going to do it or not?

michaeldc46

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK - 2 Door Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So are you going to do it or not?
If your Bronco has the recalled "Interfacial failure" of the Urethane Adhesive to the Painted Bonding area I would recommend that Ford do the repair not just any Windshield repair service - it will perform best when the Newly Applied Body Primer is "matched" to the Urethane Adhesive - this is done when Ford handles the repair (even if they subcontract out) - I would not just go to Safelight or others.

Sponsored

Oobeedoobenubi

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My local dealer said it will take 4 days to do the repair. Its a good thing it is going into the body shop to fix fords toddler quality paint job on my roll bar. That also will take them 4 days. They told me they can do both at the same time.

Lanman

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS e-tron GT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So just had mine in for the recall and they broke the window taking it out and don't have a replacement on hand. I am not happy.
They shouldn't be allowed to start the fix without having a replacement windshield in stock.
But that would make sense so we know that's not going to happen.
:cautious:

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

****What about the recalibration of the windshield electronics … lane changing etc????
Just had my windshield replaced … recalibration was farmed out to a separate company. Same recalibration was done for my wife’s Prius by the dealership.

The owner of the company who did this said that Ford has some kind of “self learning” technology for these optics.

I would love have one if the experts on this site explain this stuff … this stuff is totally interesting to me…
I’m by far not an expert but you can do the camera calibration with forscan yourself. I have changed some thing last and had to do it. Basically you need a straight road with good lines above 40 or 45mph. Then you drive keeping it between the lines and it relearns.

Brownmule247

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion, Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the info. Mine will have to wait till after September to remedy. Already has the beach pass affixed and I'm not paying $50 for another. I wonder if aftermarket products will need be removed so as not to interfere with the work necessary (i.e. pod lights and sunrider)?
Beach pass shouldn’t be a problem, they won’t change the windshield just the adhesive.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Beach pass shouldn’t be a problem, they won’t change the windshield just the adhesive.
If the windshield breaks during removal which there is a chance that it will, then the beach pass on the broken windshield doesn't get me on the beach. I have a reputation to uphold. Spent 4 hours on the beach yesterday. Probably going over in an hour to knock back some margaritas while saying adieu to the setting sun.

Kingtute80

Wildtrak
First Name
Aaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When I did my ceramic coating, I had a UV protection layer added to the windshield as well....that was at a cost of $200 or so....

I wonder how that's gonna be covered.
I just did the same thing to mine, windshield tint over the entire thing!

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Folks, official correspondence from Ford is that the car is safe to drive, enjoy your beach pass, enjoy your margaritas, enjoy your ceramic coating, and just don't sweat it. In a year or so when there's no more supply chain issues with windshields and yours has a crack or two bring it in for the recall.

glazsmn31

Big Bend
First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi all.

It looks like a new windshield recall 22C12 just dropped today (June 28th) on 2022 Broncos build between December 8th and April 12th.

Reason: "inadequate urethane adhesion" which means that the windshield could possibly come loose in the event of a crash. Affected vehicles could also experience increased wind noise or the possibility of water leaks.

This repair will require a glass shop to remove your windshield, then the body shop will have to remove old urethane, prep the surface, and apply primer to the mounting surface area of the windshield, then once cured the glass shop will have to come back and reinstall the glass.

Owner letters to be sent out in a few weeks. It is also a "stop sale" so anybody with an incoming order won't be able to take delivery until this is completed. Don't shoot the messenger.

I'd estimate that the repair will take most dealers 3 days of actual work once they have everything coordinated. This obviously does not account for the current appointment backlogs most dealers and body shops are experiencing. again, don't shoot the messenger.

(Update: I spoke to my dealer's body shop and glass shop today. The body shop didn't even want the Bronco brought to them. They have been doing these on F-150's and Mach-E's for a while now. They say that in MOST cases they don't have to do anything and that the glass shop can indeed usually handle the whole job unless they aren't able to successfully remove the urethane and prep the surface without grinding.)
Thanks for the info. Mine will have to wait till after September to remedy. Already has the beach pass affixed and I'm not paying $50 for another. I wonder if aftermarket products will need be removed so as not to interfere with the work necessary (i.e. pod lights and sunrider)?
The windshield isn't replaced ,just removed and reinstalled. Your pass is safe. Also any aftermarket accessories mounted near the windshield that will affect what I do, I wont touch it . Either have it removed or tell the service dept at the dealer to remove it. Nothing worse than going to do a job and have a bunch of stuff impending you from the start.

glazsmn31

Big Bend
First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Honest question…How does safelite replace a windshield in under 2hrs but it takes 3 days under this recall? (Explain it to me like I’m 5)
I've been doing glass for 25 years. A good mechanic will do a ws in 45 minutes (especially the bronco,super easy). The older recall on the f150s called for a glass shop to remove the ws. Then it was to be sent to a bodyshop and they would strip and prepare the pinchweld,the glass shop would then return prime the area and reinstall the glass. 3 days, 1 to remove 1 to prep body 1 to reinstall. Your vehicle isn't the only car getting worked on so the process takes time.
What all us glass guys learned with the new recall is that we don't need the body shop we can prep the surface by ourselves. From start to finish I can do a bronco in just about an hour and a half and that includes prepping the pinchweld.....for the record safelight sucks. I'm not even sure they do these recalls because for the longest time they would not do removal and repair work at bodyshops for what ever reason. This is basically the same thing.
Sponsored