First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Practice on that door a few more times to get it right before repairing.
That's not a mistake you make twice.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Soā€¦serious questionā€¦take me through the mechanics of how doors are being dropped? Doesnā€™t make much sense to me so trying to figure out where in the process this is happening? Door heavier than people think? Not putting it on right? Trying to figure out how you drop a door. Not being smart, Iā€™m really curiousā€¦.
It's a good question and one that deserves some time looking at it. Obviously by the number of I dropped my door threads, it happens with some regularity. Why would be the question.

The 2dr door is longer and heavier than the 4dr, so would make more sense if the 2dr is being dropped more often. The built in hand hold on the bottom is off center and not the center of gravity, so it's possible to be surprised and unable to control it the first time you take it off.

Putting it on should be a short study in design before actually attempting. The top of the door sits on a post and the bottom should go over the guide. Both should be visually verified before slowly letting go of the door. The top bolt should be ready to go in as soon as possible and at least finger tight before removing the bottom guide.

Maybe it's a lack in strength or a lapse in focus while doing it, or something else. It is an easy process, but also easily messed up.

We really need one mega I dropped my door thread with a poll for the reason why.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Soā€¦serious questionā€¦take me through the mechanics of how doors are being dropped? Doesnā€™t make much sense to me so trying to figure out where in the process this is happening? Door heavier than people think? Not putting it on right? Trying to figure out how you drop a door. Not being smart, Iā€™m really curiousā€¦.
In this case it sounds like they set the door on then moved the door before putting the bolts in. The top hinge has a square setup that will lift the door up if you donā€™t have the bolts in. Being a two door with the weight my guess is it rises enough to come off the top hinge. I can see easily how it can happen.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have the door bags, probably going to line the bottom inside of the door bags with a thin padding just in case the door bag gets dropped with door as well. Better safe than sorry
the door bags fit really well... which is to say they are very snug. I dont think you could fit any meaningful amount of cushion inside the bag.

Kev2nice

Base
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
the door bags fit really well... which is to say they are very snug. I dont think you could fit any meaningful amount of cushion inside the bag.

I have yet to use them so thanks for the input. Maybe stitch a rubber padding on outside bottom and edges of the bag.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thought it was good, was moving the door to remove the guide and BAM! I tried to get my foot under (guess I was willing to sacrifice a toe lol) anyway, ugh. 22 model so no included door bags though I doubt they would have protected against this kind of damageā€¦

OK so now I am going to get a pool noodle from a dollar store and cut that thing up for additional 2 door removal installation protection! If I had only thought of that prior to dropping a door into the pavement.

66CFBB96-B20E-4A01-B4AB-6D4F8C4DD269.jpeg

40BFA338-9D49-4E72-9813-A13C032F1C10.jpeg

7D9107E5-B595-4C16-87F3-507618FAAAAC.jpeg

F9B3BD87-AE63-4897-8273-CA9192FBAC1B.jpeg
I don't think any model Bronco comes with door bags, they are an extra accessory, probably because many of us don't remove the doors.

Having watched the original door removal videos 2 years ago, the bags not only give protection, but also are designed with handles so you don't drop the door in the first place while installing. Its a good purchase.

I know how you feel, though, about damaging your car. I forgot to latch a roof panel last fall, and it went flying off the car once I got up to speed! I had to repair a damaged corner!

Stardust4x4

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My two cents is to install doors in bright sunlight, otherwise it's very hard to see when the bolt hole is lined up. The door gets heavy fast when your screwing around trying to line up bottom hole. Even though it's hanging on the top hinge it's a little stressful.

Sponsored

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My two cents is to install doors in bright sunlight, otherwise it's very hard to see when the bolt hole is lined up. The door gets heavy fast when your screwing around trying to line up bottom hole. Even though it's hanging on the top hinge it's a little stressful.

Bottom hole is the easiest part, if you use the guide.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's what that pin is for?? What do you do... screw it in the bottom hole and then what?
Pretty simple.

Screenshot_20220612-190927_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20220612-190955_Samsung Notes.jpg

Here's the hack... go onto your on board digital owners manual... there's a VIDEO there for the reading challenged... lol

Bigcat64

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You popped your cherry!

Did the same thing as a few others have done. Possibly less damage than they did though, so be happy with that.
Did the same with mine. Had a body shop work the dent out. I feel your pain!

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry this happened I have seen damage first hand on my buddies badlands.
I would hammer that straight and run a strip of bedliner, rock guard,or school and be done with it ,Its low enough to not draw any attention šŸ‘those doors are heavy and awkward,summer is near wait till the 4dr crowd starts trying to put all their doors in the backšŸ™ˆ
Sponsored