Sponsored

Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending!

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oetiker clamps are ideal for clamping rubber oil hoses because they maintain clamping force through heat cycles better than worm-drive hose clamps. Standard worm-drive clamps can't expand as the hose assembly heats up and, therefore, force the hose material to extrude away from the clamp area during a heat cycle.

OETIKER Stepless low profile clamps are reusable. They can be opened and installed time and again, for example for maintenance and servicing in the automotive industry and they can also be installed both axially and radially.

So I guess they are allowed to be reused
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ordered some 3/8” band width hose clamps from Belmetric.. should fit perfeclty
12D385A7-5E0F-405A-B389-E622D2FB1ABC.jpeg
They may but that is larger (.375) than the 7mm (.275) clamps that come off.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For you wrench geeks I'd love to see a wheeling trip then an inspection on how they held up. Probably asking too much lol
Will it depends on what you mean by inspection. Removing the rear hose clamp and sliding off the boot to look would take 5 minutes.

Removing the bushing to actually inspect for wear .... You'd probably have to destroy the bushing to get it out.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I second this.

Another naive question that BB mentioned and I wasn't sure on - is the black protective spacer inside the rack body that he recommends breaking to remove already shaped like the bushing he / RC sells? Is the bushing for sale just a solid version of what's already in there just more supportive and tighter ID?
If you were to hold that black factory spacer in your hand You would realize it has no structural integrity. It fits loose in the case and is basically just a guide (It almost reminds me of throw away padding that sometimes you find in a shipping box used to prevent the merchandise from banging on each other).

The delrin parts are actually bushings that provide strength like a "sleeve" that goes around the steering rod and provides a support brace that distributes the torque to a wider surface area.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But they clamp in a range

when you squeeze the end it has to be a range

At least that’s how I understand it even from their own description it states range

I ordered a few
I’ll follow up
IMG_1100.jpeg
Let me know...I prefer OEM versus the "one size fits all" kit all day long. From the Oetiker reference:

Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! Screenshot_20230425_085454_Chrome

Last edited:

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep… so?
Oh I just brought it up because we are talking about having clamps the correct size that fit in the groove instead of smashing down that outside lip.

It'll be interesting to see if 3/8 wide clamp actually fits in between those lips because I didn't look to me like there was a 1/8 inch to spare.

But let us know! I would swap out my hose clamps for a narrower one that I know works.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh I just brought it up because we are talking about having clamps the correct size that fit in the groove instead of smashing down that outside lip.

It'll be interesting to see if 3/8 wide clamp actually fits in between those lips because I didn't look to me like there was a 1/8 inch to spare.

But let us know! I would swap out my hose clamps for a narrower one that I know works.
I’ll report back.. they should be in soon. Figured a smaller band hose clamp would work better for me than replacement OE clamps because they’ll be infinitely reusable.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any reason why we couldn't use a more conventional constant tension clamp, such as a Murray or spring type? I'm a big fan of both and I used them in every application I can before I go for a conventional worm drive clamp. Those Oetiker clamps are a pain in the ass.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any reason why we couldn't use a more conventional constant tension clamp, such as a Murray or spring type? I'm a big fan of both and I used them in every application I can before I go for a conventional worm drive clamp. Those Oetiker clamps are a pain in the ass.
I don’t see why not.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

BroncoAg

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just ordered this DIY kit off Amazon. The above is similar but is 7mm and needs to be crimped instead of using a worm gear. Seems like this should be good enough but does require a little fiddling to get the size correct if you prefer to be able to keep the extra band length trimmed down.

https://www.amazon.com/Swordfish-80050-8mm-Width-Stainless-Steel/dp/B07CQ4BF39

HANG ON Y'ALL I STARTED MY OWN COMPANY. This is A PROBLEM in the COMMUNITY and THEY!!!!!!!! don't want YOU to know about IT! BUY MY CV clamp kits and WE can solve this!

BRONCOAGINC.png

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why not use something like this????? Don't have to worry about the right size clamp with this. ;)

https://clamptitetools.com/

And not stupid expensive. 😁
Sponsored