Sponsored

Towing capacity poll

The towing limit is 3500# for 2 and 4 wheel Broncos. Where do you stand on this figure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's a disappointment but not a surprise. Maybe they will make the p/u version with a higher towing capacity to compete with the Gladiator.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right tool for the job. You shouldn't be buying a Bronco and expect to tow anything large (another car/truck, 20ft camper or boat, etc), they are not designed and built for that. A couple of jets ski's, a small boat or a tear drop camper, yes. It is not a truck, it is specialized vehicle built specifically for off roading

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rent a truck. Call a tow truck. Ask a friend with a truck. The Bronco isn't designed to tow. It was made to compete with Jeep. I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe the Bronco isn't the vehicle for you if you're this worried about towing capacity.
There you go again trying to say that I can't have what I want and I must comply to what you deem that I should be only allowed to have. The only thing on this subject that I feel that we can agree on is that we just don't agree. I do respect your choices for you, please respect my choices for me (I honestly believe that you do).

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a disappointment but not a surprise. Maybe they will make the p/u version with a higher towing capacity to compete with the Gladiator.
I suspect this is exactly what they will do. Once they complete the initial launch, they'll focus on further model(s) to satisfy large dissatisfied groups that are still smaller in numbers than those who bought into the first model year.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There you go again trying to say that I can't have what I want and I must comply to what you deem that I should be only allowed to have. The only thing on this subject that I feel that we can agree on is that we just don't agree. I do respect your choices for you, please respect my choices for me (I honestly believe that you do).
Bronco Truck will most likely be a direct competetor for Jeeps Gladiator, which has 7,650 towing.

And I didn't deem what you can have out of the Bronco, Ford did that. I'm not trying to force options on you, just trying to give you solutions. You don't seem to want a solution. ?‍♂

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am actually curious what tow package includes. If it's just a hitch and light connector, then no wonder. It would seem that aux oil and trans fluid coolers would boost capacity.

The ZR2 Colorado has special suspension and dampening, and still tows 5k, which is down from the 7.5k standard.
Leaf springs on the Chevy versus a link and coilover setup on the Bronco. Not to mention the wheelbase on the ZR2 is 28 inches longer than the 2D and 12 inches longer than the 4D. Apples and oranges.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the 4 door Bronco will tow 3,500 lb very well. It has enough power, weight, and wheelbase to handle that load. The 4-Runner has a 5,000 lb tow rating, but it would probably perform worse than a Bronco when towing a 3,500 lb trailer up a high mountain pass.

I currently drive a V8 Sierra, but I've only towed single axle (3,500 lb axle) trailers so far. So, the Bronco's limit would not be a problem for me, based on my current needs. I plan to keep my Sierra anyway. Bronco would be my wife's vehicle.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The solution for me and several others is a Tow Package which includes all of the additional items like Stiffer Springs, Aux Trans. Cooler, a Disclaimer Stating That This Package Will Limit The Off-Road Ability and other things needed to let the Bronco get a 5000lbs. tow rating. These items are "most likely" items that they have already. So it shouldn't be too difficult for FoMoCo to make this happen.

NewtoOffroading

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just need it to tow 2 jetskis to the lake. 3500 should be enough.

Wolperdinger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found myself needing to tow more often than anticipated in the last year.

Was very excited for the Bronco but now eyeing getting a diesel Gladiator in a few years instead.

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I found myself needing to tow more often than anticipated in the last year.
A person's needs can change a lot over the 10+ year lifespan of a vehicle.

When I bought my first pickup truck, I still lived with my parents, and did not plan on hauling much more than muddy mountain bikes, and stinky hockey gear. But, over the time I had that truck, I became a homeowner, and a husband. I was thankful my truck had the ability to haul a camper trailer, loads of sod and landscaping materials, building / construction materials, etc.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bronco Truck will most likely be a direct competetor for Jeeps Gladiator, which has 7,650 towing.

And I didn't deem what you can have out of the Bronco, Ford did that. I'm not trying to force options on you, just trying to give you solutions. You don't seem to want a solution. ?‍♂
The solution for me and several others is a Tow Package which includes all of the additional items like Stiffer Springs, Aux Trans. Cooler, a Disclaimer Stating That This Package Will Limit The Off-Road Ability and other things needed to let the Bronco get a 5000lbs. tow rating. These items are "most likely" items that they have already. So it shouldn't be too difficult for FoMoCo to make this happen.
Bingo.

I don't think many if any of us are expecting the unreal travel and articulation of the Badlands/Sasquatch in a Bronco that can tow 5000lbs. The Bronco is a fantastic looking vehicle that even with a more utilitarian suspension will be great for our needs. I will gladly pay more for a package that makes it so.

And to add to this - none of what we are asking for would affect anyone without it. That's the point of a max tow package. The naysayers can still have their epic off-road crawler and we can tow our light trailers to our campsite to unhook and enjoy our Broncos in their natural habitat.

Last edited:

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was actually pleasantly surprised. I’m going with a 2 door, and a 3500# rating is well above the 2 door wrangler.

Even the full size Broncos were only rated for 4000# towing.

So knowing that this was based off the mid size platform with soft flexible suspension I actually had expected it to be worse (for the 2 door, never really paid attention about the 4 door to be honest)

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just need it to tow 2 jetskis to the lake. 3500 should be enough.
That's about where I sit.. but I also agree with @The Pope where 5000 lbs. would be nicer.
I have a 12' trailer (1600 lbs.), 2 full size 4x4 quads (about 685 lbs. each), that right there is over 2900 lbs. So now I'd be cutting it close with 3500 lbs. Can it do it? Based on the numbers it can. But I would prefer the slightly higher capacity if I were to load up the trailer with some gear.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Having to do trade offs kind of sucks but the offroad ability of the suspension is what i'm after.I'll be installing a roof top tent and getting a lighter trailer to haul my side by side on,as for other hauling I will still have the old S/D as it hauls good but sucks offroad.(too dam big!)
Sponsored