Sponsored

Towing capacity poll

The towing limit is 3500# for 2 and 4 wheel Broncos. Where do you stand on this figure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NewtoOffroading

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's about where I sit.. but I also agree with @The Pope where 5000 lbs. would be nicer.
I have a 12' trailer (1600 lbs.), 2 full size 4x4 quads (about 685 lbs. each), that right there is over 2900 lbs. So now I'd be cutting it close with 3500 lbs. Can it do it? Based on the numbers it can. But I would prefer the slightly higher capacity if I were to load up the trailer with some gear.
I agree. It never hurts to have a bit of extra power especially when it comes to hills etc. I would love if it clocked in at 4k lbs with the v6 engine. I'm just not willing to compromise the off road capability for the extra towing that stiffer springs etc offer.
Sponsored

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just need it to tow 2 jetskis to the lake. 3500 should be enough.
And my guess is that Ford decided that's what the first model year would be targeted for, small towing jobs only. That will please the largest number of potential buyers ASAP. Down the road, in later model years, they should try to beef it up. I am also guessing that they are trying not to bite off any more than they can chew already, and have made the decision to just deal with the towing capacity, roof rack capacity and other such limits in the future.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a single axle bass boat to tow but it’s only 3,000 pounds tops so I should be good.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was actually pleasantly surprised. I’m going with a 2 door, and a 3500# rating is well above the 2 door wrangler.
Good point. While many 4-door shoppers are not thrilled with the rating, 3,500 lb is very generous for a short 2-door.

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As much as I would like the towing capacity to be at 5000#, the Jeep products are also at 3500#.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was actually pleasantly surprised. I’m going with a 2 door, and a 3500# rating is well above the 2 door wrangler.

Even the full size Broncos were only rated for 4000# towing.

So knowing that this was based off the mid size platform with soft flexible suspension I actually had expected it to be worse (for the 2 door, never really paid attention about the 4 door to be honest)
Yeah 3500lbs is badass for the two door for sure!

RTLGarage

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (I also have a 1992 XLT)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I know the Ranger is only rated at 3500 towing capacity, anyone who wants more can convert to an F-150. However, IMO with the Bronco there is a gap. The Ford Explorer has the optional Class III Trailer Tow Package (52T) with a 5,000lbs towing capacity with the 2.3L EcoBoost® I4. Considering the Explorer offroad capabilities, or lack thereof, I'd like to see Ford step up the Bronco towing capacity to accommodate those looking to do more offroad. At least offer a package that can get the towing up to 5000lbs. The Toyota 4 Runner is rated at 5000lbs towing.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...l/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Explorer_Oct15.pdf

Truth be told, I may be passing up the Bronco for the reason... still weighing the options.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As much as I would like the towing capacity to be at 5000#, the Jeep products are also at 3500#.
Jeep products also have a 1500lb difference in tow cap between 2 and 4 door cause of longer wheelbase. Whereas the bronco has the exact same tow rating across 2 dr and 4 dr and with 2 different engines. That alone means the 4 dr should easily be capable of 5k without any extra changes or compromises that people keep saying it’ll need to tow.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Full size bronco had over 7k tow cap depending on engine.
Sure enough, looked it up and I stand corrected.

Not sure I’d want to tow 7000 lbs with one though..... I could see getting into a situation where the tail wags the dog a bit too easily, but then again I’m not terribly experienced with towing and have never gone above 3000#s ?

Sponsored

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I will continue towing with my F150 3.5EB. It is a towing beast with a 36 gallon fuel tank. My mileage towing drops to 10 to 12 mpg. Even if the 2 door Bronco had a greater towing capacity, the size of the fuel tank would become the limiting factor for me.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can only guess that it is the suspension that is the issue. The height and wheel base should not be an issue for towing more than 3500lbs. The frame, engine and transmission should be plenty strong enough as well.

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Jeep products also have a 1500lb difference in tow cap between 2 and 4 door cause of longer wheelbase. Whereas the bronco has the exact same tow rating across 2 dr and 4 dr and with 2 different engines. That alone means the 4 dr should easily be capable of 5k without any extra changes or compromises that people keep saying it’ll need to tow.
We can hope that Ford gets us some more data. I would love to have a little more towing headroom, but mostly it is my utility trailer that I will drag around. When I put the tractor in there, it gets up to near Ford's max, and I like extra capacity for safety.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We can hope that Ford gets us some more data. I would love to have a little more towing headroom, but mostly it is my utility trailer that I will drag around. When I put the tractor in there, it gets up to near Ford's max, and I like extra capacity for safety.
Definitely, the 4dr has a longer wheelbase than my Xterra and I have 5000lbs towing. (with a weaker engine/trans too)

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This really makes a lot of sense. My FJ Cruiser, with factory options (IFS, no 2.5" lift, no 285s, thus no extra clearance), has a 4,700-pound capacity and its length is more like a 2-door Bronco than a 4-door. Now, it doesn't have all that aluminum. But I am hopeful that Ford comes back after many more details have been tested and made public and revises the capacity to 3,500 lbs. for the 2-door and something closer to 5,000 lbs. for the 4-door. This just seems to make most sense based on everyone's comments and comparisons.
Sponsored