First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because honestly the 5.0 is not a great engine for this application. Ford's mod motors have to be wound up to get power out of them. Great for the mustang, just eh for the F-150. Almost everyone I know that has had both engines in the F-150 and uses them for truck stuff prefers the ecoboost family. The coyote just has no low end grunt. Even in F-150 configuration, it doesn't make peak torque until over 4K RPM. Don't get me wrong, I love V-8s. The coyote is a good V8 for the mustang. It's an ok V8 for the F-150. I think in the bronco it would be just the wrong tool for the job.

Reason they put it in the DR is because that thing is built for high speed runs.
I couldnā€™t agree with you more. I have a 2018 Mustang GT with the manual transmission and itā€™s a great engine but my F150 is much snappier off the line that has the 2.7 in it. Even my 83 Ford ranger that has an Old-school 302 swapped into it is much stronger at lower RPMs. That being said, if the coyote was an option in the bronco, I definitely wouldā€™ve gotten it because it would be more than enough engine for a small vehicle like that and you canā€™t beat that V-8 sound.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So you're saying that if I sized the injectors right, my 2.7L map could theoretically run a 3.5L from the GT
Not quite, that has a much larger set of turbos, probably a very different set of cams, etc; but I wouldn't rull it out, just wouldn't expect 600 hp running the 2.7 map. However, the F-150 3.5 probably wouldn't be so difficult (I would have to double check firing order, but I think it's the same).

That has me thinking though, could you get a PCM (blank or otherwise) and load it up with the correct strategy from the 3.0 or 3.5 HO, but then program it with the VIN for a run of the mill bronco for an engine swap using FORSCAN. I think it would involve a little FDRS trickery and some VIN numbers to get the ECU strategies downloaded (but I believe that it is doable).

This would be so much easier if I had a job at Ford working on FDRS. LOL.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I couldnā€™t agree with you more. I have a 2018 Mustang GT with the manual transmission and itā€™s a great engine but my F150 is much snappier off the line that has the 2.7 in it. Even my 83 Ford ranger that has an Old-school 302 swapped into it is much stronger at lower RPMs. That being said, if the coyote was an option in the bronco, I definitely wouldā€™ve gotten it because it would be more than enough engine for a small vehicle like that and you canā€™t beat that V-8 sound.
Plus no replacement for displacement. Not sure where a turbo upgrades and tune can take you power wise, but reliably you could slap on a supercharger making 7-800hp with room to grow (or tops out around 700 for a gen 1 coyote.)

That and a high redline (7400rpm? on a gen 3 or previous gens with intake manifolds/tunes) make it more enticing.

Not saying the 2.7 is bad, but as I see it, bigger engines begin where smaller ones tap out

Reactions: Fly

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not quite, that has a much larger set of turbos, probably a very different set of cams, etc; but I wouldn't rull it out, just wouldn't expect 600 hp running the 2.7 map. However, the F-150 3.5 probably wouldn't be so difficult (I would have to double check firing order, but I think it's the same).

That has me thinking though, could you get a PCM (blank or otherwise) and load it up with the correct strategy from the 3.0 or 3.5 HO, but then program it with the VIN for a run of the mill bronco for an engine swap using FORSCAN. I think it would involve a little FDRS trickery and some VIN numbers to get the ECU strategies downloaded (but I believe that it is doable).

So....what about replacing the turbos with an enormous supercharger
Is that even possible

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plus no replacement for displacement. Not sure where a turbo upgrades and tune can take you power wise, but reliably you could slap on a supercharger making 7-800hp with room to grow (or tops out around 700 for a gen 1 coyote.)

That and a high redline (7400rpm? on a gen 3 or previous gens with intake manifolds/tunes) make it more enticing.

Not saying the 2.7 is bad, but as I see it, bigger engines begin where smaller ones tap out
My son has a 2018 F150 with the coyote that he put a supercharger on and it definitely woke it up but before that it was the runt of the litter compared to the eco-boosts in our family.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This IS the way to do it.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'll offer my Bronco up for 3.5L swap R&D
Let's do this thing
Wouldn't it be easier to bore 2.7 to get 3.5 - if possible. I'm sure there is no stroker kit for the 2.7 and doubt larger Ford V6 cranks, those with greater stroke, would fit the 2.7. :unsure:

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've yet to see the 5.0 swap completed, the OP has had plenty of time to finish.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
find a 3.5EB and drop your truck off here in in Salem...The Bragging rights are almost worth the sweat.
Don't tempt me... I have a Bronco with 93k miles and an F-150 3.5 EB with 250k miles... It would be a trip to put the Tuned 3.5 EB in the Bronco.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hope this becomes mainstream and I can do with a tremec, driving both parents Range Rovers as my girls getting suspension work and after driving Moms RRS Supercharged V8, I need a V8

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak