Sponsored

What would be a realistic towing capacity?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Except for missing my point of 3500 being a crap tow rating to begin with at least for the 4dr then yes we’re on similar page. Ford set the rating at what they did yes, and because of that I’ll likely not be buying a bronco. But I would love to and fords missing out on sales for something that would be simple to do and likely wouldn’t even change much(if anything) to get there, just actually test the rating for what it can handle in each configuration not an across the board cop out. And give a configuration that gives you more benefit there as an option.
It is what it is weather we like it or not. I was just looking at Jeep and noticed Wrangler 4 door is 3500 max, so it's no better over there. Actually, I'm a bit surprised Ford posted tow ratings so early on. Details like that don't usually become available until last minute. There's still a lot of testing going on and who knows if this will change?
Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It is what it is weather we like it or not. I was just looking at Jeep and noticed Wrangler 4 door is 3500 max, so it's no better over there. Actually, I'm a bit surprised Ford posted tow ratings so early on. Details like that don't usually become available until last minute. There's still a lot of testing going on and who knows if this will change?
But Jeep has a 1500lb difference between 2 dr and 4 dr just for wheelbase alone, bronco 2 dr has 3500lbs, add 1500lbs and look ya get the 5k most are asking for. I don’t need 8k for towing(or a truck bed), but 3500 doesn’t cut it, so yea for myself and others 5k would be the perfect middle ground. And that’s all most are hoping for. Nobody expects truck towing capability.

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

exactly our point. We're hoping it will change or they might listen and affect change.

Also our point in that a 2-door Wrangler is rated at only 2000#. Again, conspicuous in that both 2 and 4 door Broncos are reporting the same towing capacity of 3500#.

I'm planning on a 2-door. But I would get a 4-door if the towing capacity was 5000#.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
But Jeep has a 1500lb difference between 2 dr and 4 dr just for wheelbase alone, bronco 2 dr has 3500lbs, add 1500lbs and look ya get the 5k most are asking for. I don’t need 8k for towing(or a truck bed), but 3500 doesn’t cut it, so yea for myself and others 5k would be the perfect middle ground. And that’s all most are hoping for. Nobody expects truck towing capability.
Correct, so Ford already is ahead of Jeep which was likely the goal.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Correct, so Ford already is ahead of Jeep which was likely the goal.
Only on the two door, which if you were hoping to be able to tow anything I wouldn’t think you’d be getting anyways. As you said 4 dr matches, that’s not ahead. So Jeep actually beats the bronco in that there’s a benefit to the 4 dr over the 2 dr for that reason. Which the same benefit should exist in the bronco, all else equal a longer wheelbase should tow better, but it doesn’t, so it’s not a win over Jeep there.

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Only on the two door, which if you were hoping to be able to tow anything I wouldn’t think you’d be getting anyways. As you said 4 dr matches, that’s not ahead. So Jeep actually beats the bronco in that there’s a benefit to the 4 dr over the 2 dr for that reason. Which the same benefit should exist in the bronco, all else equal a longer wheelbase should tow better, but it doesn’t, so it’s not a win over Jeep there.
It seems a large number are looking to buy a 2 door here, so that would indeed be a win for Ford. Like I said, there are other choices if Bronco doesn't meet your needs. I want cooled seats, power tilt wheel, memory seat and glass panels in the front sections of the modular roof. Bronco doesn't offer any of those so I'm in the same dilemma. Either I choose to accept that or buy something different. It's all relative in the end.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I already have a truck and an suv (with a shorter wheelbase, higher towing capability) that both can both go everywhere that 95% of the Bronco owners will ever go. Why would I want to always be forced to take my supercrew, 6” lift & 35” MT and leave the $60k offroad vehicle at home when I head to Moab or Ouray? Seriously though, what offroad performance are you 5% Bronco owners going to lose if Ford increased towing from 3500 to 5k?

Planning on still getting a 4dr, 2.7 Badlands at this point still since I know I’ll be just under the max weight loaded, but its a piece of mind thing to give some buffer for safety reasons.
10million People already crying up a storm over the 5% they "lost"(that they'll never use) with the IFS.... so take another 5% because they want to tow ... my God, we'd never hear the end of it.

I think you hit the nail on the head though, if you want to tow AND offroad, get a Ranger....the one nobody has seen yet because it will be built on the Bronco frame. Seems like it would be pretty capable.

Pepin10

Base
First Name
Pepin10
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
Your Bronco Model
Base
]

3500lbs is pretty good for towing a small camper or fishing boat.

We can't have it all and you can't please everyone. If it defeats the purpose of buying a Bronco for those people then what are the other options if not buying a truck?

Ill be using mine for pulling a small camper. It'll be perfect for that. If you need to haul your 30ft camper or your giant bass boat the Bronco isn't your truck.
A cherokee trail hawk, 4500# towing, smaller wheel base, anemic v6

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Except for missing my point of 3500 being a crap tow rating to begin with at least for the 4dr then yes we’re on similar page. Ford set the rating at what they did yes, and because of that I’ll likely not be buying a bronco. But I would love to and fords missing out on sales for something that would be simple to do and likely wouldn’t even change much(if anything) to get there, just actually test the rating for what it can handle in each configuration not an across the board cop out. And give a configuration that gives you more benefit there as an option.
I doubt they will miss out on many sales. Only 25% of trucks are used for towing. A smaller amount than that would be towing heavy loads.

I imagine people looking to haul big loads often would be even smaller.

They might have missed out on your sale but likely made up for it elsewhere.

I do agree with your "across the board cop out" comment though. I still can't wrap my head around that.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It seems a large number are looking to buy a 2 door here, so that would indeed be a win for Ford. Like I said, there are other choices if Bronco doesn't meet your needs. I want cooled seats, power tilt wheel, memory seat and glass panels in the front sections of the modular roof. Bronco doesn't offer any of those so I'm in the same dilemma. Either I choose to accept that or buy something different. It's all relative in the end.
Again you missed my point slightly. Of course there’s people that want the 2 door, that’s not what I meant. And if that’s what you want yes the fact the 2 dr tows more than the 2 dr wrangler is a win. But people that were hoping for more than 3500 were expecting to get the 4 door, and expecting it to tow more than the 2 dr. Not making use of the added wheelbase benefit of the 4 dr is what I said was the issue, and a win for Jeep over ford there. And it’s not about creature comforts here, most of which could be added by aftermarket means(however costly). It’s functionality as well as legality(well maybe not actual legal, but liability/insurance issue), even adding the functionality aftermarket doesn’t change the tow rating. Adding upgraded seats or glass panels later by aftermarket means doesn’t change anything legally, or if ford makes them available later they could easily be added to an earlier model without much issue. But adding the ability to tow more aftermarket is a liability issue surpassing the rated tow cap, even if ford makes a tow package later, adding it to an earlier model won’t change its tow rating because it didn’t come with it. And it already should be capable of what most are asking without change if the 2 dr is capable of that much with shorter wheelbase.

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn’t pull over 2,000 lbs with it. Gas Truck ratings to me should be cut in half. Yes it can pull the full amount but I won’t. I like to keep up with traffic and not be the slow Polk holding up the line. I also like to have passing power. Everything changes at seal level and I live at 6,000 feet and play much higher then that.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Right? A bit unrealistic if you ask me. I do feel 4,000lbs is realistic. Mostly because I don’t want to max my limits lol
Your thoughts are unrealistic and unsafe. There are multiple factors that involve the max trailer weight that can be towed. The first is what’s called the Gross Combined Weight Rating (the rated maximum combined weight of the vehicle and towable). We don’t know that number yet. Once you start adding passengers and cargo you also reduce the trailer towing rating. So you know, any vehicle’s tow rating is not a fixed number. It’s typically based on 1 or 2 passengers weighing 150 lbs with a full tank of fuel and a low 2 digit figure for cargo. Once the cargo & passenger weight increase, the tow rating is reduced.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle /gcwr.htm

CascadianCorvid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tow a 2200lb travel trailer with a Forester. It's only rated for 1500. We got a class 2 hitch put on it, and a sway bar kit. We do fine. I'll be towing that same trailer with the bronco, but I'll be able to fill the water tank, and put stuff in the back.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have no idea what is reasonable as this will be my first vehicle with a coilover rear suspension. Leaf springs, yeah, I've towed a lot of stuff well over the gross rated, but a coilover?

What other applications tow with this type rear suspension? What are they rated at?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Again you missed my point slightly. Of course there’s people that want the 2 door, that’s not what I meant. And if that’s what you want yes the fact the 2 dr tows more than the 2 dr wrangler is a win. But people that were hoping for more than 3500 were expecting to get the 4 door, and expecting it to tow more than the 2 dr. Not making use of the added wheelbase benefit of the 4 dr is what I said was the issue, and a win for Jeep over ford there. And it’s not about creature comforts here, most of which could be added by aftermarket means(however costly). It’s functionality as well as legality(well maybe not actual legal, but liability/insurance issue), even adding the functionality aftermarket doesn’t change the tow rating. Adding upgraded seats or glass panels later by aftermarket means doesn’t change anything legally, or if ford makes them available later they could easily be added to an earlier model without much issue. But adding the ability to tow more aftermarket is a liability issue surpassing the rated tow cap, even if ford makes a tow package later, adding it to an earlier model won’t change its tow rating because it didn’t come with it. And it already should be capable of what most are asking without change if the 2 dr is capable of that much with shorter wheelbase.
People may have been hoping for and expecting more, but so far it ain't happening. Probably like so many other things, someone's speculation without any fact lead people to believe the rating would be higher. That's why i keep asking for a source when someone makes a big claim. For the relatively small handful that care about this, Ford probably isn't worrying about losing those sales based on what it might have cost them to build a Bronco with a higher tow rating. As far as my wants, paying $50k plus, I should be able to get what's important to me as well without the need to try and add them later.
Sponsored