Sponsored

What would be a realistic towing capacity?

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Everyone here saying the 4 door should have a higher capacity because it's longer...
What if wheelbase isn't the problem folks?

It's the suspension. It's soft and not made to support a heavy load, regardless of how long the vehicle is.

Thats my take on it anyway.

I for one don't want this thing to ride like shit and handle rough roads poorly, or lose flex just because a few people want the rear end beefed up so it can do truck duties.

I'm betting if you really want to tow you can buy some stiffer coils or some airbags, just like millions of truck owners do when they're pushing their ratings. It'll probably handle 5k just fine in the real world.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Everyone here saying the 4 door should have a higher capacity because it's longer...

It's the suspension. It's soft and not made to support a heavy load, regardless of how long the vehicle is.

I for one don't want this thing to ride like shit and handle rough roads poorly, or lose flex just because a few people want the rear end beefed up so it can do truck duties.
Suspension will be the key culprit, but the really short wheelbase on the 2 door would likely exacerbate the problem.

Most people on here are asking for a max tow package that changes their suspension exactly so that yours doesn't have to be stiffer if you don't want it to be. That's the point. Oh and no one is asking for it to replace a truck. Trucks tow outrageous amounts these days, and it seems like 5k on a max tow package is the number that is being tossed around the most. My Kia tows more than that. Yes, a Kia.

tomknight

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep (3), Fiat Spider, MB ML
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm wondering if lack of auxiliary oil and trans fluid coolers are the culprits.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am used to hauling 9k lbs at 28', but I still hope for a 4500 ish option with the longer wheelbase 4 door, 2 door I wouldnt do over the 3500. I don have an issue with 3500, but usually its the amount of added payload that screws it up.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering if lack of auxiliary oil and trans fluid coolers are the culprits.
but an optional tow package would include these components.

It's not the wheelbase of the 4dr that's the limiting factor because as I mentioned previously our GC has a shorter wheelbase (1.5-2" shorter) and it has a tow rating of 6200lbs. The culprit has to be the suspension (similar to the raptors w/ a less tow capacity than the non-raptor f150s).

Sponsored

tomknight

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep (3), Fiat Spider, MB ML
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

At first glance, as we know it now, it seems the optional tow package includes a hitch and lights.

It's not the wheelbase of the 4dr that's the limiting factor because as I mentioned previously our GC has a shorter wheelbase (1.5-2" shorter) and it has a tow rating of 6200lbs. The culprit has to be the suspension (similar to the raptors w/ a less tow capacity than the non-raptor f150s).

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
VehicleCurb Weight (lbs)Wheelbase (in)Towing Capacity (lbs)
Bronco 4 dr4499-5320116.13500
Defender48301198201
4Runner4750109.85000
FJ Cruiser4290105.95000
Wrangler 4 dr4449118.43500
Cherokee4250107.14500

Plenty of offroad-capable SUVs can tow more than the Bronco's 3500lbs, even with less curb weight and less wheelbase than the Bronco.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a revised tow rating of 4500-5000lbs before release day, even if it's only for the 4 door automatic version.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it's possible Ford will up the 4-dr tow rating. It's not all that difficult to meet J2807 standards up to 5000lbs with the chassis and drivetrain they have. By doing so they emphasize it is a Wrangler-killer. Kind of a shame to waste the HP/TQ from the Ecoboosts with a paltry 3500lb tow capacity.

Simply adding a ClassIII or ClassIV hitch enables WDH with sway control. That takes a lot of pressure off of the rear suspension. Ford shows a 4/7 pin connector so it's already good for travel trailers. All they need to do is add a WDH-capable hitch and HD rear coils in a Tow Package.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder how much the lack of a rear sway bar hurts the tow capability.

secretg

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Nissan Leaf :)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I'm betting if you really want to tow you can buy some stiffer coils or some airbags, just like millions of truck owners do when they're pushing their ratings. It'll probably handle 5k just fine in the real world.
I agree with this sentiment, if you watch interviews with the designers they talk about how so many vehicles on the market these days want to please everyone. They wanted to make a vehicle that is focused on being really good at one thing and in this case it sounds like they really wanted to make a great off road vehicle, and didn't want to compromise on that vision.

Sponsored

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base

Are you still thinking about the Gladiator? I've read that long Gladiator wheelbase is a problem offroading, very poor breakover angle.

I keep thinking the Bronco will be fine towing 5000lbs, just have to aftermarket upgrade the hitch and rear coils if Ford won't do so. No doubt at all aftermarket will be jumping on this beast fast with upgrades for the suspension and upgraded hitch. The basic platform is proven as a good tow vehicle, just needs some enhancements in the Bronco form.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the 3500lbs. is a handicap. My 2018 Explorer 3.5l non-EB, based on the Tauraus sedan (uni-body) has a tow package and is rated for 5k. Ranger uses the same frame, engines and transmission and has 7K capacity properly equipped. I agree, there should be a tow package on the 4dr that gets you something in the 5-6K lb. range. That is a 21ft. boat (very standard size for pleasure boating or fishing here in MI), small toy hauler or camper with some gear. I will take the limited articultaion of a rear sway bar and add swaybar disconnects if needed off road over building my own tow package (class III hitch and possibly rear airbags to get to 5k?). I see Jeeps, Tacomas, 4Runners, Rangers etc. towing all the time driving back and forth to my cottege in Northern MI. I don't think I am the only one that is disapointed. By the way, that same logic that is used for why the tow rating is low goes for all of the capabilites. A high percentage of Jeeps and Broncos don't go off road, but people want the capability. The manufacturers also make all sorts of options and packages to customize the vehile for a particular use. Why not offer a package that beefs up the Bronco to tow and or carry a bit more payload? I would guess another reason for the low rating? A class III hitch was difficult to add while keep good ground clearance numbers and departure angles.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you still thinking about the Gladiator? I've read that long Gladiator wheelbase is a problem offroading, very poor breakover angle.

I keep thinking the Bronco will be fine towing 5000lbs, just have to aftermarket upgrade the hitch and rear coils if Ford won't do so. No doubt at all aftermarket will be jumping on this beast fast with upgrades for the suspension and upgraded hitch. The basic platform is proven as a good tow vehicle, just needs some enhancements in the Bronco form.
Yes, however, the gladiator would be replacing my '17 F150 super crew w/ 6" lift and 35s and the wife would be getting the 4dr Badlands Bronco to replace her GC. I have wheeled the crap out of my truck on moderate-level trails and I can only recall one time having the truck catch the hitch on a large boulder after dropping off.

The issue I'm having with the gladiator and stopping me from ordering a 2021, is the rubicon is decreased max payload and with the diesel option, it drops it even lower but Jeep hasn't provided official numbers on the max payload or max towing (but according to reports, the diesel towing would be 6k - due to lack of enough cooling). Would want the rubicon due to the exterior and interior options I want in my gladiator and would be adding a front steel bumper, winch, hardtop and was hoping to add a half bed rack, diesel cans, 10lb co2 tank, and potentially a rtt while still giving me payload for tongue weight. If its not feasible, then I'll scratch the rack, rtt and bed accessories.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no doubt that aftermarket companies will provide different coil spring rates and aftermarket hitches, but let's say, one were to upgrade the rear suspension and hitch aftermarket and later be in an accident towing 3700lbs and the factory specs state 3500lbs, I would think the insurance company would deny or fight the claim being overweight.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no doubt that aftermarket companies will provide different coil spring rates and aftermarket hitches, but let's say, one were to upgrade the rear suspension and hitch aftermarket and later be in an accident towing 3700lbs and the factory specs state 3500lbs, I would think the insurance company would deny or fight the claim being overweight.
This is my main concern as well and why I'd like to see a Tow Package from FoMoCo.
Sponsored