Tiresmoke410

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco, 16 F250, 66 F250, 68 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine works perfect. I’d buy a manual jeep before I got an auto bronco.

actually it would be a challenger. Then a mustang. A jeep wouldn’t be on the radar.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HASE

HASE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So just an update. Checked it out and ended up doing the deal. Should pick it up tomorrow.
Thanks for all the input. I love driving the stick so it was my preference anyways...

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So just an update. Checked it out and ended up doing the deal. Should pick it up tomorrow.
Thanks for all the input. I love driving the stick so it was my preference anyways...
Congrats on new Bronco.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

go with the automatic my manual only had 1600 miles when it failed and they are not covering it so I am already looking to trade mine in when i get it back.

What failed specifically that they wouldn't cover? Clutch? Throwout bearing?
When you say wouldn't cover, what exactly isn't being covered? Clutch replacement or actual transmission work or what?

Lucky Green

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would order it again no problems even the oil change guy had a smile on his face and he only drove about 50 feet

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve a 2021 7MT with 25000 kms and no issues with the tranny. I really enjoy driving this rig and would not want the 10AT.
FWIW this is a pro vote for the 7MT

Buckaroo

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve a 2021 7MT with 25000 kms and no issues with the tranny. I really enjoy driving this rig and would not want the 10AT.
FWIW this is a pro vote for the 7MT
In American?

honorableh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TL,DR; manual worse but more fun, Bronco is fun car so get fun choice.

Like most things automotive, you have to choose the characteristics suited to you not just select the 'best'. After owning both a 4dr 2.7 BL SAS and then a 2dr 2.3 7MT BL I can explain what I consider to be the major pros and cons of each.

Auto Offroad
Torque converters are simply better for rocks. Trail cruise control and the one pedal driving features were confidence inspiring on ledge downhills and other obstacles taken at slow speeds and make that torque converter advantage just that much more apparent. However, the kick you'd receive while shifting from 1-2 while in 4L felt plain wrong, and it seems that all autos suffer from this after attending the offroadeo. Trail turn assist is awesome and genuinely helpful for 4dr.

Auto on-road
Yes, it is more fuel efficient and faster. It can keep the motor in boost between shifts. The programming of the 10R60 is much better than my previous 2020 Explorer; I'm shocked that its the same hardware, its still not as smoothly tuned as the new GM suvs with 10speeds I will admit. I would feel the Bronco 10sp disengage a gear and disrupt otherwise consistent deceleration.

7MT Off-road
The perfect transmission for the kinds of trail where there would be no chance of needing to winch. I've driven off-road in multiple other manual vehicles, but like performance manual driving there are more tricks to learn. Inn 4L crawler running an increased tire size of 35x11.5 Toyo AT3 I still find myself wishing i could go even slower on those butt-puckering rock ledge descents. Combining hill descent control allows for braking while downshifting without 4L heel toeing, this has saved my ass multiple times. Slipping the clutch to go through some of those .5mph obstacles feels wrong, but comes with the territory. Having gotten stuck on rocks in the manual it is quite difficult, loud, and can get almost generally terrifying to control once you've stalled. The crank in gear function rarely works for me. These slightly harrowing aspects add to the adventure aspect of owning a Bronco and ultimately make conquering an obstacle even more rewarding.

The Ford performance tune is a godsend and eliminates the fear of a wheel lockup scenario from mismatched revs.

7MT on-road
It rules on the road. Besides the stupid tachometer its great and smooth to operate. The lighter weight of the 2.3 makes it feel much more fun and less heavy and sluggish, but that could also be the non-squatch 2 door aspect of the comparison coming in. While tuned it can chirp 35" tires on a launch, or totally light up the stock 33" K02s. The shift throws are matched to the overall characteristics, and when in WOT in boost in 3rd when power is no longer limited it is truly an impressive little motor.

Though my Bronco sounds like its got a sequential dog box out of a track day car when its cold, the supremely powerful heat is usually loud enough to drown it out. I tell myself it makes it seem more purpose built.

Oddly enough the two main standard manual assists I find to be obstacles, the hill start assist holds on for too long and ironically forces me to stall. I've disabled this feature and have no issues hill starting, but what i do have issue with is the anti-stall throttle blip and it cannot be turned off. It is too aggressive and forces you to go faster than the minimum gear speed temporarily, which if you don't want to be forced into riding the clutch you'll fully release while parking etc. you'll find yourself going faster than you'd need to temporarily.

Summary
You can't go wrong, but I'm glad I got to experience both and ultimately I had the choice and after back to back drives I'm happy with my selection to keep manual only.

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I use the crawler gear in the bumper-to-bumper traffic I encounter on my daily commute. I don't have to touch the throttle, just slowly release the clutch pedal. Makes life with a manual even easier.
I learned the computer will give the engine throttle in 1st when releasing the clutch from a stop. Works in reverse too. It’s like stall protection and you don’t have to throttle it at all.

Sponsored

SF Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Cort
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I can hear a faint start of the noise… but also wouldn’t trade for an auto…

I got the extended warranty… so I’m hopeful that if my issue worsens Ford will fix me up…

Auto’s have some issue also… I’d get the manual…

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gonna need some pics

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How many refrigerators is that??
Average standard fridge height is between 62-72 inches so about 15875000 - 13670138 fridges assuming they were laid on their side.
Also it would be 6.3 trips across the US.
Sponsored