NinjahGoose

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know this topic has been discussed at length but I have a specific use case and feel like I need some help deciding on my next vehicle, I'm going to place the order in the next year or 2.

I will start off by listing what this vehicle will be used for:
  • Daily driver (I work from home now so I don't drive as much as I used to)
  • Will tow 3000lb boat (that includes the trailer, fuel, tackle, and gear) to local lakes and 160 miles to the coast
    • This is the most important factor to me, I know people are going to say "if I want to tow then buy a truck". I don't want a truck, I have a 4Runner now that has handled the towing just fine.
  • Driving on the beach for several miles at times

I plan to completely option out the OBX with the lux package, MIC, etc. I'm just struggling to decide if I should go with the Sas package or not. I don't off-road/overland anymore but I can't stand the stock OBX wheels and tires. My original plan was to just get an OBX and spend about $3-4K on some 17" Bronze wheels (a white car with bronze wheels gets me 🍆!) and 33" KO2's, but that would put me in the same ballpark as the Sasquatch package. The Sas package would also give me a small lift and some other goodies for getting around the beach, plus the 4.7 gearing would help when towing.

For those that have driven both (sas and reg), does the sas really impact on-road driving manners? If I go Sas I would probably sell the wheels and tires as soon as I took delivery and pick up some Bronze Method wheels and 35" KO2's for less road noise and to save some weight. My local dealer is marking up bronco's $15K and refuse to let me test drive without deposit. I will be driving to a nearby dealer that is selling at MSRP to place the order, that is just some time from now.
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Squatch on road doesn't change the ride a lot. I think the ride is a little stiffer but not a huge leap. I daily drive mine, well I did except when I work from home and when it is not being repaired because of a moron hitting me. For beach driving, Squatch all the way. The tires will give you a lot better flotation, and you get the lower gearing.

Upping the size of tires on a non-Squatch OBX would be fine too. I happen to like the look of a Squatch Bronco too. Oh and you get the heavier front differential, front locker, and the cost of the 4A transfer case is baked into the price.

Ford Bronco OBX to Sas or not to Sas IMG-4471

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like you're going to be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Just guessing here, but I'm gonna say you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you put basically the same tire on either setup.

I would go for the squatch in your case. If you ever decide to use it, you have it.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After test driving Broncos with and without Sasquatch only on paved roads, the Sasquatch optioned Bronco provided the smoothest ride. Idid not go with the Sasquatch option on my BL . I find the ride exceptional, but to me the Sasquatch rides a tad better. Personally, if I was set on the OBX I would have had to go with the Sasquatch set up because the OBX looks to pedestrian without it. But hey, that’s me.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, I would do Sasquatch package. There is only two reasons why I wouldn't do Sasquatch package in your situation:
  • Fuel economy - Since you work from home now this may not matter as much. BUT non-Sasquatch Broncos do get better fuel economy thanks to the gear ratio and smaller tires. Sure towing will be better than the 4.7L, but realistically the 4.27 axle will be fine towing a 3000 lbs load. And if you plan on traveling long distances frequently it may be better to prioritize fuel economy.
  • Painted Fenders - If you get the Sasquatch package, you will lose the Outer Banks-exclusive painted fenders.
I should note that if you do decide to go with the Sasquatch package, you may want to take a quick look at the Wildtrak trim. Once you switch to Sasquatch on the Outer Banks with the 2.7L you are within ~$1000 of the Wildtrak trim, which gives you access to the Baja GOAT mode, a few added options that you may or may not be interested in.

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know the price difference for SAS varies on what trim / model you're working from, but I'm not sure what the difference is. My problem with getting SAS on our '22 2dr BB mid package was the fact I KNEW I'd be replacing the factory wheels and tires...just not a fan.

Honestly, since you plan on towing often, I think (again depending on price) it might be worth it for you simply because of the gearing. I DID add 4.27 gears to our BB and I'm very pleased how easily the 2.3 pulls the 35s I added.

Or maybe add the 4.27 gears and go with 33s like you mentioned.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, you're going to lose one thing with the Sasquatch Package that you might miss: Painted Flares. This could be a dealbreaker for some, that's why I mention it.

Otherwise, if you're going to go with a topped out OBX you may as well move up to the WildTrak trim since you're going to be visiting the beach a lot. Plus, what you would spend on wheels and tires after the fact would get you pretty close to the WT.

OP
OP
NinjahGoose

NinjahGoose

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks everyone! I’m really leaning towards the OBX with Sas. I really like the painted fenders on the OBX but I can’t stand the stock wheel/tire appearance otherwise, I feel like the OBX looks anemic or skipped leg day. The reason for the OBX over others like a BL or wild track is I like the leather interior options better on the OBX.

Is there a market for Sasquatch pull-off wheels and tires? I would love to pull off the M/T’s and throw on a set of bronze methods wrapped in 35” KO2’s.

Does anyone have any experience towing with a Bronco, sas or stock?

*edit* I just realized I didn’t specify this would be a 4 door. We have a toddler and 2 dogs, gotta have the extra room.

Last edited:

Garrett301

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2021 Bronco Sport, 2017 Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I pulled the Goodyear Territories off of my FE upon delivery last Dec and replaced them with Pirelli Scorpion AT Pluses. Had no problem selling the Goodyears, actually just left them at the dealership...a few weeks later someone who had a BL w/Sas delivered there wanted a second set of tires and bought mine. I kept the wheels, so can't speak to that.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If money is no problem, so the SAS and swap wheels/tires. The ride doesn’t really change that I saw when I drove them both. Daily driver was a favor for me as well. I went SAS. If your balancing cost, buying tires and wheels twice seems like a lot. Might be cheaper to just buy wheels/tires.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NinjahGoose

NinjahGoose

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If money is no problem, so the SAS and swap wheels/tires. The ride doesn’t really change that I saw when I drove them both. Daily driver was a favor for me as well. I went SAS. If your balancing cost, buying tires and wheels twice seems like a lot. Might be cheaper to just buy wheels/tires.
Im not really worried about the cost. After owning multiple boats I’ve subscribed to the “buy once, cry once” mentality. I keep my vehicles for a long time which makes it easier to swallow. I’m in my later 30’s and have only owned 2 cars. My current 4Runner is 10 years old and has 160,000 miles.

In and ideal world I would just order the wheels and tires I want direct from the factory when I place the order, that just isn’t any option unless I’m mistaken. I have several buddies that have bought new rubicon jeeps, tacomas, or 4Runners who drove straight to their off-road/tire shop of choice to bolt on new wheels/tires.

Either way, it sounds like my gut was right and going with the sas package would be the best fit for my lifestyle, even though I’m not a hardcore off-roader.

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Got the OBX as a daily driver as well, but couldn't stand the stock stance. I do however like the factory OBX wheels, I may be in the minority on that one.. So i did 2 in zone offroad level kit with 275/70/18 KO2 tires, all done at the dealership. Rides great, and gives it a more aggressive stance and look. I added 4A which got me alot closer to SAS price, but the tire cost was an even swap as I needed new 32 in 17's for my wife's Jeep. If I had to do it over again, I think the 1 in zone offroad would have been plenty of lift, as pictures do not do the Bronco justice on just how big the front end is, especially coming from a jeep perspective. If cost not a factor though, go SAS with the wheels that give you an eggplant.

Prew

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would personally get the Sasquatch, ride is excellent and what you get with the package, it would be nearly impossible to match in the aftermarket world for the price. I just wish there were more wheel options with the Sasquatch.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
How about just buying a set of Badlands wheel/tire take-offs for $1500 or less for the set of five and call it a day? Definitely the cheapest route.

OP
OP
NinjahGoose

NinjahGoose

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How about just buying a set of Badlands wheel/tire take-offs for $1500 or less for the set of five and call it a day? Definitely the cheapest route.
I thought about that too but if I’m going to spend the money I might as well spend the extra cash to get what I want.
Sponsored