BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I'm learning from this thread is that I should definitely absolutely obviously be willing to pay someone $8-9,000 to buy their used MIC top.
Yup the price for used MIC tops just went down.

$2k max is the most I’d pay
Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I read somewhere that the torque on the bolts is 14-15ftlbs. That’s seemed like a lot to me but maybe it’s not.
I’m removing my guide pins. I’ll just get a couple of bolts, cut the heads off and use them as guides when reinstalling my top. The guides are handy with the lift I use. There is no reason I’d ever position the top on the body if it’s not aligned exactly where it should be.
I use a Toplift Pro which is extremely quick and easy.
I fortunately have a huge garage……needed with the Toplift.
I’ve removed the top 10-12 times with no problems, but I’ve never set it on the ground….yet

Last edited:

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So what does it mean if I will have the top painted? Extreme care what the top is put on/ how supported during the painting and very careful adjustment with 4 people putting it back on?

How come that all those folks who did something with the MIC have not encountered the problem ? Just lucky ?

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm afraid to remove my hard top now (the back cap section that is.....panels are easy). Can anyone share some removal tips with 2 people and storage tips? I'm planning on a 2-person removal and then laying it on a moving blanket horizontal on my garage floor. Thank you.

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This thread could have been over after the first 2 reply first one says fix it yourself and put some epoxy won't look too bad and the second post blaming the OP for damaging the top. LMAO this is the entire forums in a nutshell

Anyway, if the top isn't covered under warranty or can't get Ford to do a goodwill fix ro replacement then I guess gotta get creative with the self repair. You will definitely need to reinforce the two layers that broke. Maybe laminate a new piece of whatever the plastic is or possibly use steel? such a weird spot to have to fix. GL GL

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is some serious B.S. I have a extended warranty on the my Bronco (150k miles). Last month, I pulled up my hardtop to put in additional weather stripping (rather than complaining about the hideous top in the first place - just shy of 36k miles) and the damn top ended up cracking severely.

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

(this happened before re-installing the MIC top, but all fasteners were torqued to manufacturers speciation with a torque wrench).

Ya, apparently, that's not even likely to be accepted under the warranty anyway. It was never dropped, never off the Bronco, and only moved a few inches back to add additional weather stripping.

So, knowing that they might refuse to warranty it for being dropped, I still brought it in to the dealer. The dealer, while polite, courteous, and friendly looked to see if it was even a covered item under ESP. It isn't!

F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.

So, for anyone thinking that Ford will stand behind this obviously defective top unless forced at gun point, they won't.

I hope my motor shells out at 149,975 miles. I want to see Ford eat a bag of sausages.

Also, my Sync 4 system still isn't updating, but they "might" be able to get me in for service in late November. You can get military mental health appointments faster than that. WTF @Ford Motor Company.

Sure am happy I got an extended warranty plan... The basic warranty didn't even last a year (for a non-moving part clearly not affected by mileage) and the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).
Okay, so this happened during a reinstall -- not the same as a crack from the factory. Obviously something got over stressed, not "clearly defective". These tops like all tops are composite, a fancy word for laminated plastic.

Laredo

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine was a dirt mountain "repair" before delivery MIC 1.0+. Held my Bronco for 3 months so I could get a top that met @Ford Motor Company's high standards.

Not that it much matters. I have a Bestop Trektop that is in the garage.
That's right, I forgot the DM wait for 2.0 already
With mine have never removed anything, not even the front panels. And still I keep putting off washing it cause am worried it will leak

Fish0411

Base
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Porsche 911, 2023 Bronco Base 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I cracked my Jeep hardtop trying to remove it myself. no reason to have the dealer involved. I'm not that entitled

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm afraid to remove my hard top now (the back cap section that is.....panels are easy). Can anyone share some removal tips with 2 people and storage tips? I'm planning on a 2-person removal and then laying it on a moving blanket horizontal on my garage floor. Thank you.
Mine just got put back on last week after being stored for the summer. I used four 4x4" cut pieces of lumber placed adjacent to each locating post to keep direct pressure off of them. I had it snugged down with a rachet strap onto a very large pallet to keep it from rocking and moving in the wind. Other than I used a couple of pieces of silicone rubber strap protector to try and keep the straps from rubbing, it worked beautifully. Rubber, or at least some, will melt itself into the MIC material. Ever seen a tackle box with old rubber worms? That's exactly what it does.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@mpeugeot sorry to hear about this issue. You’re a beast for running that many miles in one year!

Seems to me like there’s an opportunity for a Bronco with a non removable top. If the rear piece is so delicate to remove I figure most guys are only going to touch the freedom panels. Isn’t that not much different that a large sun roof?

I think we’re learning the hard way there’s no perfect solutions, only trade offs. When we demand super light hard tops with multiple panels we end up with cracking tops that leak. I know the old bronco tops were a PIA to move but they sound sturdy. But what do I know I’m riding around in my soft top!

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2 person removal. Both people need to be not short and have decent arm strength. Wife is 5'2" and no chance she could lift it.

I went with the Amazon garage hoist and straps and it is very easy. Lots of threads on these.

Storage tip. I strapped a table to a little cart and I drop the top straight down on the table top (doubled up moving blanket on top) so the weight is spread out and bottom is not touching the ground at all.

Then I can roll it to the spot where I store it.

The bag with the front panels fits under the table. Eventually I want to replace the table with a rack that holds the doors under the top but it was too easy to strap a folding work table to a little caster cart I already had.

I don't have a great pic but here is the cart on the left side.

Ford Bronco Warning: Extended Warranty didn't cover MIC Top crack damage PXL_20220801_035742166.NIGHT

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2 person removal. Both people need to be not short and have decent arm strength. Wife is 5'2" and no chance she could lift it.
This is why I got a lift as well! I have the top lift pro, which is pretty darn easy for one person. You do have to be careful lining up the posts to make sure they're good before the final click down, but otherwise no issue. When it's not on the Bronco, it's stored on the lift in my garage.

I also love the Rockworx hand bolts. Should be something similar as an option from the factory IMO. Makes it far easier and looks better to boot.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The world is getting soft, and that Bronco top shouldn't be so delicate. This is how I installed and removed my CJ-7 hardtop (granted would be more difficult on Bronco with it's horizontal rear roll bar brace):

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is some serious B.S. I have a extended warranty on the my Bronco (150k miles). Last month, I pulled up my hardtop to put in additional weather stripping (rather than complaining about the hideous top in the first place - just shy of 36k miles) and the damn top ended up cracking severely.

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

(this happened before re-installing the MIC top, but all fasteners were torqued to manufacturers speciation with a torque wrench).

Ya, apparently, that's not even likely to be accepted under the warranty anyway. It was never dropped, never off the Bronco, and only moved a few inches back to add additional weather stripping.

So, knowing that they might refuse to warranty it for being dropped, I still brought it in to the dealer. The dealer, while polite, courteous, and friendly looked to see if it was even a covered item under ESP. It isn't!

F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.

So, for anyone thinking that Ford will stand behind this obviously defective top unless forced at gun point, they won't.

I hope my motor shells out at 149,975 miles. I want to see Ford eat a bag of sausages.

Also, my Sync 4 system still isn't updating, but they "might" be able to get me in for service in late November. You can get military mental health appointments faster than that. WTF @Ford Motor Company.

Sure am happy I got an extended warranty plan... The basic warranty didn't even last a year (for a non-moving part clearly not affected by mileage) and the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).

I work in automotive service and people like you are what make this job suck. No trim is covered under any extended warranty and even getting it covered under base warranty is slim. You have to prove its a defective part. Seeing how the crack goes from one bolt to another bolt its obviously been over tightened at some point. This is not a top defect its user error. Also you should read your extended warranty carefully cause chances are theres other things not covered you dont know about. And if they can get you in in November take it. My shops booked till 2nd week of December and just about every dealer in my area is at least that far or further out.
Sponsored