Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's hope, hope it fixes the problem.

My dealer didn't even bother ordering. Said to come back when parts are available, then we'll take a listen to the sound. At least I have the extended warranty to get me to next winter. :ROFLMAO:
With that sort of service department, let’s hope you won’t be out a transmission and waiting on a new one all next winter.
Sponsored

jking12

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Bronco, 21' Mazda MX-5 Miata, 19' Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I joined this thread on page 22 and I'm coming back with 10k on my Badlands that I bought back in November. It's about 60 degrees out day to day and the transmission grinding is louder than ever. Are there any fixes from Ford yet? I see a TSB being mentioned, but does it actually fix this issue?

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I struggled to decipher most of this, but if you’re new to the issue, that new transmission will probably still grind and rattle. They were correct (and I’m surprised the service center even said anything) that there is a new version of the part in the TSB that causes the grinding, and we’re all hopeful that the new revision part solves the issue.

Essentially:
  • TSB with old part (-C revision): BAD
  • Replacing transmission with identical part number (-A revision): BAD
  • TSB with new part (-D revision): MAYBE GOOD
  • Replacing transmission with new part number (-E revision): UNKNOWN
I joined this thread on page 22 and I'm coming back with 10k on my Badlands that I bought back in November. It's about 60 degrees out day to day and the transmission grinding is louder than ever. Are there any fixes from Ford yet? I see a TSB being mentioned, but does it actually fix this issue?

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

181 pages, several buybacks, no working fix, 3 model years with the issue, large majority of produced have the issue. LMAO I have 0 faith in FORD at the moment. They can't even give the dealers a straight story. 🙈🙉🙊

It’s this long mostly because it keeps gettin bumped. I’ve seen / heard of no buybacks and maybe 1 vehicle / transmission thats failed but unknown if related to the noise / TSB. Id rather them take their time and fix it right then offering out 3-4 different revisions of fixes. Other then that I’d just drive it with the noise.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The latest is that Ford released new parts. We don't have any details on those parts... they may fix the issue, they may fix a separate issue, or it could just simply be a clerical change. We really have no idea and won't know until someone gets the two part revisions side-by-side.

At the moment we just have to wait for parts to filter through the system. By mid-summer—maybe as early as end of May—I would expect dealerships to start getting these new parts. And then we'll probably have to wait until next winter to see if it actually solves the issue or not.

Sponsored

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BadLands manual 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I struggled to decipher most of this, but if you’re new to the issue, that new transmission will probably still grind and rattle. They were correct (and I’m surprised the service center even said anything) that there is a new version of the part in the TSB that causes the grinding, and we’re all hopeful that the new revision part solves the issue.

Essentially:
  • TSB with old part (-C revision): BAD
  • Replacing transmission with identical part number (-A revision): BAD
  • TSB with new part (-D revision): MAYBE GOOD
  • Replacing transmission with new part number (-E revision): UNKNOWN
Thanks for the summary haha. This thread is massive.

My dealer just confirmed/documented the grinding sounds (they are following TSB 22-23-71 for replacing 5th/6th syncros). They already ordered the parts, and the invoice contains dozens of numbers. Does anyone know which parts specifically need the "revisions"? Also, I wonder if it would be best to wait... or replace the entire transmission instead. Cracking open a brand new transmission sounds like a risky move.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer just confirmed/documented the grinding sounds (they are following TSB 22-23-71 for replacing 5th/6th syncros). They already ordered the parts, and the invoice contains dozens of numbers. Does anyone know which parts specifically need the "revisions"? Also, I wonder if it would be best to wait... or replace the entire transmission instead. Cracking open a brand new transmission sounds like a risky move.
Most of the parts listed are single use bolts and fasteners. The synchros themselves were revised from ending in -C to ending in -D

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who has disassembled many manual transmissions before—including a handful of MT82 transmissions from Mustangs (probably the closest cousin to the MT88 in the Bronco)... I can confidently say that if I can do it, then any moderately-skilled automotive technician should be able to do it.

Automatic transmissions are much more complicated, but manuals are relatively simple.

93BRONCO22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
update:
The TSB was completed with the -D and I picked up my Bronco this evening. I’ll have to get some miles on it, but as if now, it no longer sounds like someone dumped sand and marbles in the tranny. The vibration in the clutch/floorboards is gone, as well and it’s shifting smoothly.

The tech said everything else looked good & the fluid was clean.
It only had ~1000 on the new tranny.

I’ll follow up with a pic of the service ticket listing the updated part #. (I made sure it was on there.)

I’ll monitor and update as time goes on.
Service invoice with -D highlighted on p.2:

~300 miles in…. early, but all is well
Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound F3AD380C-88EF-439F-A70C-C6D2E8808667
Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound DC266601-BF70-4EB9-8751-86B155A367AB

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
As someone who has disassembled many manual transmissions before—including a handful of MT82 transmissions from Mustangs (probably the closest cousin to the MT88 in the Bronco)... I can confidently say that if I can do it, then any moderately-skilled automotive technician should be able to do it.

Automatic transmissions are much more complicated, but manuals are relatively simple.
Back in the day, I helped a friend rebuild his TH400 in his garage, using some book. It didn't go well. Man, the noises that thing made after install, lol. I think it lasted a week or so.

Sponsored

93BRONCO22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are living, breathing and sweating on your every driven mile o_O :)
I’m trying to just drive the damn thing, but find myself neurotically listening to every sound…. Might have to turn the radio up for a while! 😵💫😵💫😵💫

gwrjones

Black Diamond
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll add my story to the list.

Took my Bronco to the dealership a few weeks ago. They heard the noise and agreed to perform the TSB. When the parts got in a week later, they began the work but shortly later called to inform me that the slave cylinder was cracked and fluid was everywhere. They described it as a mess and that the damage to the transmission was worse than what they expected. They said the slave cylinder is on back order with no expected availability date. I was informed my best case scenario is a couple weeks, but realistically could be months.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m trying to just drive the damn thing, but find myself neurotically listening to every sound…. Might have to turn the radio up for a while! 😵💫😵💫😵💫
Wait you are the one guy with the mythical D ring installed? We are all counting on you, please no noises!

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll add my story to the list.

Took my Bronco to the dealership a few weeks ago. They heard the noise and agreed to perform the TSB. When the parts got in a week later, they began the work but shortly later called to inform me that the slave cylinder was cracked and fluid was everywhere. They described it as a mess and that the damage to the transmission was worse than what they expected. They said the slave cylinder is on back order with no expected availability date. I was informed my best case scenario is a couple weeks, but realistically could be months.
This sounds like they broke the cylinder when removing the transmission.

Brok3nBronco

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jade Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This sounds like they broke the cylinder when removing the transmission.
Additional broken parts seems to be occuring fairly often during these TSBs. Bolts breaking, damage to transmission casing during the removal. Probably says something about the quality of some of these sourced parts? 😪
Sponsored