Sponsored

V8 HEMI 392 Jeep Wrangler production model announcement teaser. Will Ford answer with V8 Bronco?

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I honestly don't care what Jeep does. This spring I had an overland Gladiator for a rental for a month and quickly learned to hate everything about it. Thought it would be fun for a few weeks because I could take the roof and doors off and have some open air driving - because outside of going to work their was not much else to do - but that's not a possibility because 10 minutes into it I got stopped for lack of a sideview mirror (I realized it was a problem but figured I'd give it a go anyway) . . . brand new and rode like crap - the FIS Bronco will be a much better ride. It was tiny in the front cabin - I am 5-11/180 and my wife is 5-2/110 and we were shoulder to shoulder most of the time, the Bronco has more shoulder room. And with the v6 is was horribly underpowered . . . the 2.7 (which I have driven quite a bit in my work truck - which is heavier than the Bronco - and it's got great zip). The tech sucks - no 360 camera or adaptive cruise, to name a few, and the stereo was useless with the roof off - all will be better with the Bronco . . . and I have always been a Ford person anyway. IMO - once these things are a couple years into it and dealerships have them on the lot for public sale . . . I think there will be a lot of used Jeeps on the Ford lots . . . and I also don't care if Dodge sticks a hemi in the Jeep - it is still a Dodge, still a Jeep and, really, I have been driving an ecoboost for a few years and love it!
Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I honestly don't care what Jeep does. This spring I had an overland Gladiator for a rental for a month and quickly learned to hate everything about it. Thought it would be fun for a few weeks because I could take the roof and doors off and have some open air driving - because outside of going to work their was not much else to do - but that's not a possibility because 10 minutes into it I got stopped for lack of a sideview mirror (I realized it was a problem but figured I'd give it a go anyway) . . . brand new and rode like crap - the FIS Bronco will be a much better ride. It was tiny in the front cabin - I am 5-11/180 and my wife is 5-2/110 and we were shoulder to shoulder most of the time, the Bronco has more shoulder room. And with the v6 is was horribly underpowered . . . the 2.7 (which I have driven quite a bit in my work truck - which is heavier than the Bronco - and it's got great zip). The tech sucks - no 360 camera or adaptive cruise, to name a few, and the stereo was useless with the roof off - all will be better with the Bronco . . . and I have always been a Ford person anyway. IMO - once these things are a couple years into it and dealerships have them on the lot for public sale . . . I think there will be a lot of used Jeeps on the Ford lots . . . and I also don't care if Dodge sticks a hemi in the Jeep - it is still a Dodge, still a Jeep and, really, I have been driving an ecoboost for a few years and love it!
This supports my belief that Jeep will go back to being somewhat of a niche community again. A lot of the soccer moms we see driving 4door Rubicons will prefer the technology and road driving characteristics that Fords have. Most dedicated off-roaders/rock crawlers LOVE the solid front axle and will stay with Jeep. People that use their off-road machine as a daily driver as well as rock crawling will probably be split 50/50ish between Ford and Jeep.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This supports my belief that Jeep will go back to being somewhat of a niche community again. A lot of the soccer moms we see driving 4door Rubicons will prefer the technology and road driving characteristics that Fords have. Most dedicated off-roaders/rock crawlers LOVE the solid front axle and will stay with Jeep. People that use their off-road machine as a daily driver as well as rock crawling will probably be split 50/50ish between Ford and Jeep.
Yes - And I freely admit that my Wildtrak 4 door will spend most of its time on asphalt with some weekend dirt toad trips . . . I am not going rock crawling ever but love the look of the Sasquatched look and want all the tech I can get! I want a decent ride (I know this will not ride quite like my Raptor), enough low end power to enjoy on a back road and reasonable room for myself and a couple passengers . . . and - honestly - after seeing what most people do with their Raptors (when I bought my first one in 2010 I went to west Texas and got as much desert driving in as possible, then moved back home to Vermont a year later and on the rare occasion I saw a Raptor it was an asphalt driver) I would be willing to be it'll be the same with the Bronco (as it is with the Jeeps - I can not count how many Jeeps I see that are lifted and upsized and never see a rockpile!). Ram took a little bite out of the F150 and now I think - eventually - the Bronco will take a little bite out of the Jeep . . . and at the end of the day the arguments will continue and we'll all love what we are driving!

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't expect them to just roll over and die. But the bottom line is Jeep is just too dam expensive for what you actually get.

It's pretty bad when my $38k Base +Sasquatch is better then a $50k Rubicon. For that reason a lot of people will be coming over to Ford.
You are ignoring several things on a rubicon to make that comparison. A base lacks many luxuries of a rubicon. That is why a non squatch loaded badlands is very close in price to a rubicon optioned the same way.

I agree the Bronco gives you more flexibility from the factory to get idea options on a base model but to compare a base and a rubicon and consider them equals is beyond a stretch.

Ford’s marketing area understood this when they priced the various trim levels.

Just my opinion. We can agree to disagree. In the end I really don’t care since I will own both. Fully optioned rubicon and a fully optioned badlands.

I expect I will like the Bronco much better. Then again it should be better given it is a 2021.

Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There is still a lot to learn about the Bronco before crowning Jeep is dead. I do agree that you will see more soccer mom's switch over to the bronco but I'm not sure if that's a positive for future bronco development.

Knock how the Wrangler rides all you want but solid front axle vehicles have been king of the off-road and will remain until unseated by extreme testing and time. A couple promo videos from Ford isn't sufficient.

Too many Ford fan boys hop on here with the same ignorant comments. Why can't both companies be good? The F150 is king but the Ram 1500 can now honestly compete. The raptor is awesome and was king but the TRX looks to be more awesome. The tremor is great but power wagon is still the HD off-road king. The Wrangler is the king off-road and mediocre on on-road, the bronco will likely be great on road and solid off-road and has a chance to compete for the top billing.

Let's just be happy that FCA and Ford are challenging each other in the offroad segment and bringing innovation and progress to the consumer. Meanwhile GMC and Toyota are nowhere to be found. The Bronco likely wouldn't even be coming back if Jeep didn't exist, just like the TRX wouldn't exist without the Raptor and the tremor wouldn't exist without the power wagon. I for one am going to spend my hard earned money on who offers the best product for me, not which badge it has.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are ignoring several things on a rubicon to make that comparison. A base lacks many luxuries of a rubicon. That is why a non squatch loaded badlands is very close in price to a rubicon optioned the same way.

I agree the Bronco gives you more flexibility from the factory to get idea options on a base model but to compare a base and a rubicon and consider them equals is beyond a stretch.

Ford’s marketing area understood this when they priced the various trim levels.

Just my opinion. We can agree to disagree. In the end I really don’t care since I will own both. Fully optioned rubicon and a fully optioned badlands.

I expect I will like the Bronco much better. Then again it should be better given it is a 2021.
Beyond a stretch how? Name all the things the Base Rubicon has over the Base +Sasquatch Bronco. And I guarantee the Base +Sasquatch Bronco has more where it counts. Only thing it has really is the Sta bar disco. If I cared about that I'd go Badlands. The Bronco is better in ever other way for the money. From the better Frame, IFS, 11.6 clearance, 35" Tires, Aluminum body, Goat modes, better advanced 4x4 system, much nicer interior, better 8.4 touch screen with more tech, better top system with more open air space, more interior room, mirrors stay on the vehicle, doors come off easier, and I'm sure there's a bunch I'm missing.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pretty sure the new vehicle is the updated Grand Cherokee. It’s an update everyone knows is coming , but hasn’t been shown yet.
Jeep showed a clip on their Instagram and it's definitely a Wrangler.

Sponsored

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Every time I see horses on a Jeep commercial the only thing I think of is a Bronco. I like Jeeps, I love the Bronco. The people that will benefit the most from this "Jeep & Bronco War" will be us, the consumer!!!
Exactly i love both lots expirence with both and for me my most viceral memories is turning the key and hearing that rumble.
Damn the tech,water cooled manifolds ,twin snail things ford i wanted a new bronco with a v8 and a stick ! I feel like i found a big hair in my soup ,but im hungry so i overlook it .
You cant blame jeep for fighting back ,and i really want the bronco but a hemi stick jeep id be happy to rip up the sand dunes would be cool.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Beyond a stretch how? Name all the things the Base Rubicon has over the Base +Sasquatch Bronco. And I guarantee the Base +Sasquatch Bronco has more where it counts. Only thing it has really is the Sta bar disco. If I cared about that I'd go Badlands. The Bronco is better in ever other way for the money. From the better Frame, IFS, 11.6 clearance, 35" Tires, Aluminum body, Goat modes, better advanced 4x4 system, much nicer interior, better 8.4 touch screen with more tech, better top system with more open air space, more interior room, mirrors stay on the vehicle, doors come off easier, and I'm sure there's a bunch I'm missing.
You nailed most of the important features and bang for the buck you are right, you can't beat it. The biggest one is that a solid front axle is better for offroading/rock crawling. Doesnt the Sasquatch have less articulation than the badlands because of the additional lift? It will have even less than a Rubicon with the sway bar disconnect removed. The axles are also going to be a serious area of concern especially as people start to add lift and offroad them. I've read articles where even during standard offroading people break axles in a Ranger. I think these two are going to be the biggest issues why the Bronco won't unseat the Jeep as a Hardcore offroad vehicle. It should be a better all around vehicle as you mentioned.

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ; 2015 Dodge Charger (work); 2016 Jeep JKU; 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat; 2019 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Currently, there are approximately 330 million people living in the U.S. Of that number, just over 100 million of them were not yet born when the last Ford Bronco rolled off the assembly line in 1996. In addition, there are another 70 million people that were under the age of 16 when that event occurred. Now add in about 20 million immigrants that have come to the U.S. since 1996, and suddenly less than half the population (in fact, around 42%) was alive and living and over the age of 16 in the U.S. when Bronco stopped production (yes, some of those immigrants were under 16 and will slightly skew the numbers). Nevertheless, fewer than half the people here today were here then. However, 100% of the population was here when the last Jeep Wrangler rolled off the assembly line.

My point? While there are hard core Broncophiles among us, which is one of the reasons why this Forum even exists, and the reservation numbers are impressive, Ford has a lot of catching up to do. It won’t hurt, however, to have a very well-received product to begin that process next year. That will obviously bring in many from this group, the usual “first on the block” group, a small handful of Jeepers (like me), and people who just are excited by a new product and never felt compelled to go to Jeep. Will the Bronco “hurt” Jeep sales? That is the $64 question and while Jeep will certainly lose some customers, including both current Jeepers and initial buyers that decide to go Bronco, in the long run it will force Jeep to improve its product, stabilize its prices, and actually attract more customers with a more competitive and better built Wrangler. While the introduction of the Bronco is no doubt good for Ford, it is also good for Jeep. But the real winner is us, the consumer, as the battle rages on.

As a number of people have noted here, certain vehicles would not exist, but for the fact that someone else made something similar without competition. There likely would be no Bronco without the Jeep Wrangler to egg Ford on. As we well know, Ford, like most corporations these days, is run by bean counters who are very cautious about introducing new product lines without some assurance of recovering R&D costs and making a profit. Why do you think there has been so much Bronco hype for so long? Trial balloons. It gave Ford plenty of time to come up with a hundred reasons to cut the Bronco right out of its long-term projections, and likely would have if that hype failed.

My Jeeps are great, my Fords are great, and I refuse to trash either. Every vehicle has its faults (and I have owned well over 50 in my life), but they also draw us in for so many different reasons oftentimes particular to us. Some we are glad to see go, some we regret disposing, and some we will never part with (my ‘05 TJ). And at the end of the day, nearly all have some story to tell.

There is no place else in the world where the car culture is so alive and so entertaining, as evidenced just by the Jeep v. Bronco war. God Bless America!

So, Ladies & Gentlemen, let the games begin and may everyone win...
Sponsored

Last edited: