Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update #2 (10/28/2021):
So, good news all around. I got a phone call from my dealer saying that they somehow got the manifold in today (way sooner than expected) and I could potentially have my Bronco back by the weekend, if everything checks out. Awesome.

And…I just got a phone call from Ford customer service saying that my buyback has been approved. I’m not sure what any of the offers are at this point. It’s also worth noting, I asked if I am required to follow through with this process if approved and I was told no.
I just wanted CYA for all options.

Update:
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Bad news: my Bronco is still in the shop. Somehow the engine was lost in shipping for almost a month. The dealer received the engine last Wednesday. I got a call from the service manager yesterday saying they pulled the old engine, haven't put new engine in yet because they now need to order a manifold. Ughhh. I was also told that the manifold is on backorder, but will be released on Friday (in which dealer will call me Monday to find out how long it will take to get the manifold).

I called Ford this morning. I REALLY REALLY don't want them to buyback my Bronco, I'd like to swap for a new Bronco but is that even realistic? Then again, I'm not sure I want to keep this Bronco. I'm in Michigan and it should meet lemon law guidelines (30 days or more out of service). If they fix this Bronco, what does that do to the value?!

I'm just super frustrated right now. I'm paying for a vehicle I cannot drive, dealer doesn't have any loaner cars to spare....not to mention I'm super embarrassed by this huge failure in this vehicle. All my non-Ford friends are giving me crap about it.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I had an issue yesterday with my Badlands 2.7. Bought and picked up on July 21, we’ve put roughly 2400 miles on her (took an awesome trip up to High Rock at the very top of the Keweenaw Peninsula) and everything has been great so far. Yesterday, I noticed some loss of power in acceleration while driving, pulled over and put her in park. Turned off for about 5 minutes and then tried to restart, wouldn’t turn over.
Luckily, this happened about half a mile away from my dealer, so we just hooked a tow strap up and sadly limped her into their service bay.

The dealer called me this morning and said they got ahold of Ford last night. Somehow, somewhere the engine dropped a valve and that Ford is replacing the entire engine….

Anyone else have this experience?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dang, sorry that happened!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yikes, I think I seen two others that needed engine replacement. I would make it a point to request a free extended warranty. Keep us updated please.
Ughh…well, we did buy an extended warranty when we purchased it. I was a little apprehensive about not having something long term just because it’s the first model year and I plan on keeping her forever. I’m wondering if I can negotiate either a free or cheaper warranty price after the fact?!

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks! It’s been fun so far. I’m glad that Ford jumped on it right away with no hassle to replace what needs replacing.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ughh…well, we did buy an extended warranty when we purchased it. I was a little apprehensive about not having something long term just because it’s the first model year and I plan on keeping her forever.
Make sure you get everything documented. And start the clock for time in service. Always good to have the lemon law card in your back pocket. The one guy is having clutch issues, his sat at the dealer over a month. Ford might issue you a credit for the warranty you purchased. Just express your distrust to the Dealers Ford Rep. They should do something to make you happy.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The dealer called me this morning and said they got ahold of Ford last night. Somehow, somewhere the engine dropped a valve and that Ford is replacing the entire engine….

Yes there was a thread not too long ago that had same diagnosis. And similar story were in the sand all day if I recall and on the ride home it crapped out.
Here is the link to that thread…

Updated 7/29 [Engine Seized, Full Replacement Under Warranty] My Bronco shut down after sand dunes run

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If it’s any consolation to everyone that ordered a bronco with the 2.7, I have the 2.7 in my 2015 f150 with about 62k miles and I have had no problems with it. I had to use the pandemic as reasoning but being a ford service tech and some of the stuff I’ve seen lately it is entirely possible there could have been a few engines that may have been overlooked or rushed due to to staff shortage. And ford currently has a policy called low time in service, that’s why these engines are being replaced instead of people like me having to tear into them, find the causal part and rebuilt them. The idea behind it is 1) you bought a new vehicle and deserve a new engine, 2) it’s usually the quickest way to get your vehicle back to you. Hopefully you get your bronco back soon

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an issue yesterday with my Badlands 2.7. Bought and picked up on July 21, we’ve put roughly 2400 miles on her (took an awesome trip up to High Rock at the very top of the Keweenaw Peninsula) and everything has been great so far. Yesterday, I noticed some loss of power in acceleration while driving, pulled over and put her in park. Turned off for about 5 minutes and then tried to restart, wouldn’t turn over.
Luckily, this happened about half a mile away from my dealer, so we just hooked a tow strap up and sadly limped her into their service bay.

Just saw these pics on Reddit, is it yours? Or do we have another?

Ford Bronco 2.7L Issue 1631377894739

Ford Bronco 2.7L Issue 1631377916428

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would not be surprised if eventually a TSB is issued for this, that's 2 of them documented here and rumor of a few others.

It could be a batch specific problem, because the 2.7 has an otherwise solid reputation. I would not be surprised if it was a valve or valve keeper part that is out of spec and allowing it to fail rather unpredictably.
Sponsored