Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sorry, should have been more clear. I know there's lots out there in this style already. Just wondering if there's been anything announced that might fit a bronco
Sponsored

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Related, are there any manufacturers that are doing something like this?

3_13329_13186_vdrg019951.jpg

might work as a nice alternative to a RTT
They have one listed in the accessories sheet

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I made a rough mock-up a while back for my own reference with the GFC Superlite. I believe the length to be accurate.
gfc superlite.png
That doesn't look accurate. The roof of the 2 door is 16 inches shorter than the 4 door. I don't know the exact length of the 2 door roof, but I feel like this is off by about 8-12 inches. Or maybe their mock up on the 4 door is inaccurate.

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That doesn't look accurate. The roof of the 2 door is 16 inches shorter than the 4 door. I don't know the exact length of the 2 door roof, but I feel like this is off by about 8-12 inches. Or maybe their mock up on the 4 door is inaccurate.
We know that the wheelbase of the 2-door Bronco is approximately 100 inches. We also know that the length of the GFC Superlite is 90 inches. I made a line connecting the hubs, resized to 90%, and there is the length of the tent.

Also, don't forget that both the door and the side window are longer on the 2-door than the 4-door.

Sponsored

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We know that the wheelbase of the 2-door Bronco is approximately 100 inches. We also know that the length of the GFC Superlite is 90 inches. I made a line connecting the hubs, resized to 90%, and there is the length of the tent.

Also, don't forget that both the door and the side window are longer on the 2-door than the 4-door.
Is there any information about how long the roofs are on the 2D and 4D?

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is there any information about how long the roofs are on the 2D and 4D?
Can't remember where I got it but the 2-dr top dimensions are approximately 83" long by 65" wide. What I really want is the dimensions of the rack, with the rails at the far front and rear. I do plan on adding the third rail for more support of the rtt.

pitter_patter

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't remember where I got it but the 2-dr top dimensions are approximately 83" long by 65" wide. What I really want is the dimensions of the rack, with the rails at the far front and rear. I do plan on adding the third rail for more support of the rtt.
A 90 inch tent might be doable then. I don't want to deal with overhang over the windshield. I want to be able to minimize the noise.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A 90 inch tent might be doable then. I don't want to deal with overhang over the windshield. I want to be able to minimize the noise.
I want to say those brackets that hold the rtt to the rack are adjustable, basically can drill new holes and install the brackets where you want on the tent bottom.

machtig

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look up Trail Recon on youtubes. They run RTTs on most of their vehicles and hit some pretty gnarly trails, successfully. That said I wouldn’t run one for a number of reasons, first and foremost is it’s a lot of weight way up high which compromises handling both on and off road. Same reason I don’t plan to carry a bunch of crap on the roof rack either. To each their own.

Sponsored

BernR6

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda CX-5, 2018 Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm still back and forth on 2dr or 4dr. I'd love a 2 door and a RTT. My wife, 6 year old daughter and I are total under 450lbs. The problem I have is the 2 door doesn't have a lot of rear storage for suitcases, bags, etc. So I'd want to use the top for a cargo box. But then I can't have the RTT. It's one or the other I guess. Then again, if it's 4dr, we could probably sleep inside. I'm 5'9" and wife is 5'1". Anyone who is getting a 2 door looking at a lightweight travel trailer? That might be the route I go. Too many decisions to make.

OP
OP
DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still back and forth on 2dr or 4dr. I'd love a 2 door and a RTT. My wife, 6 year old daughter and I are total under 450lbs. The problem I have is the 2 door doesn't have a lot of rear storage for suitcases, bags, etc. So I'd want to use the top for a cargo box. But then I can't have the RTT. It's one or the other I guess. Then again, if it's 4dr, we could probably sleep inside. I'm 5'9" and wife is 5'1". Anyone who is getting a 2 door looking at a lightweight travel trailer? That might be the route I go. Too many decisions to make.
I am. But you seem to get what you pay for. Lots of options and prices are all over between 5000-25k

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't forget the weight of the RTT. you, your wife, your daughter, the RTT, your mattress, and your bedding should all be under 450. I can see where you might be now, but how long until your daughter grows enough to put you over?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, if a RTT is 150 and each person is 150, that's over 9,000 lbs in short order. Wait, it's over 450 lbs in short order.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was all in for a RTT, but then I started thinking about the Bronco weight limitations. Did I want to devote 160 lbs to a tent? Plus that weight would be in the worst possible location (at the top of the vehicle) for offroad stability.
Next, I settled on the GFC Ultralight which is 80 lbs. Now you've completely lost the use of the rack for anything other than the tent and are still giving up 80 lbs, and you can only sleep 2 people.
Now I'm leaning toward a Gazelle ground tent. Much more economical, they set up really fast, and weigh about 30 lbs. And you don't have to have a hardtop on to use it.
I might feel differently about a ground tent if I anticipated camping in bear country.
I like where you're going with this, the RTT does exclude 3-somes and that limitation should be taken into consideration, especially for those folks opting for the 4-door because back seat comfort is of upmost priority.

We have ground-camped while backpacking in Grizzly country during their agitated/desperate/gorging season (just before hibernation) and with some precautions and actively understanding what your actions are, you can make this as close to a non-issue as possible.

I see this last stipulation essentially ignored wholesale by most folks with an RV, RTT or some sort of enclosed sleeping situation. Have also seen a few people booted from camps in Yellowstone and Tetons because they acted as if they have immunity from nature.

Sleeping above ground will not create greater personal safety if you aren't camping correctly and safely. It will just mean you have a grizzly bear mauling your vehicle as it attempts to get whatever it wants.
Sponsored