Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is why I loved T9 texting! I could blind text, shift and make a turn all at the same time.
you better hope the cops can't come after you retroactively lol
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Reasons to get a manual
1.) Anti-theft.
2.) Anti-friend. "I'd love to let you borrow my car/take over on a road trip but you can't drive stick" (Totally not because you're a maniac behind the wheel and a danger to yourself and others)
3.) Keeps the kids in check. They can't text and drive (as easily)
4.) Engine braking. She's a heavy girl (the car, not your wife) and you don't want to smoke your brakes on long downhills, so its safer (just ignore that automatics can do similar things)
5.) No hunting for gears. Drove my friends cherokee automatic and the damn thing kept upshifting going up a hill. I need torque not economy dammit.
6.) Parking: You get a legit parking break and can leave it in gear. No wimpy little parking pawl to fail on you

Reasons not to get a manual
1.) Stop and go traffic. Negated by the crawler gear
2.) No 2.7 (really the only valid reason not to get a manual unless you want a base 'squatch)
3.) Its hard to do well (which can serve as a great warning sign you shouldn't be driving if you're too exhausted, that beer was stronger than you expected, etc)
4.) You hate America, freedom, and puppies

Just show her this perfectly unbiased list and she'll be sure to change her mind
But wait - will there be a legit parking break on the manual Bronco? That is one of the things concerning me about buying with manual. I use the manual pull hand brake routinely when driving stick. And off-road I don't want to monkey with some automated brake lock.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only advantage I see to a manual transmission is that it saves some money on the initial purchase - but the first time the clutch needs to be replaced, that cost is negated. I've driven manual transmissions in most of my cars (I'm 50), and the current one (2016 Mustang) is an automatic - it's a daily driver that gets about 20k miles on it per year, with a lot of traffic - there are NO downsides to having the auto - it shifts FAR faster than anyone with a manual transmission could possibly shift (there's a reason why almost all the cars at the drag strip have auto transmissions), it's consistent, reliable, and no clutch issues, and I don't have to worry about constantly shifting in stop/go traffic. My previous (2012) Mustang had the MT82 transmission - which is garbage - frequent gear lockouts under hard acceleration (a known issue), the dual mass flywheel failed around 65k miles (another known issue, which was covered under extended warranty, but would have cost me over $3k if it hadn't been)... for me, there's no question - auto all day long.

mrklas

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Manual vs automatic... The right answer is a point in time. And for me old age and operations on each shoulder , arthritis and potential for future shoulder surgeries means automatic is required for a daily driver and manuals are for pleasure vehicles only. And that pleasure vehicle may have to be sold like my motorcycles were :cry:

Realistically the automatics are so much better than ones even 5-10 years ago. (Let's not even compare them to the 70s or 80s era units).

I believe the automatic is the best value given their overall reliability, fuel economy and 'smart capabilities'.

A manual does engage the driver and change the driving experience for me - earlier this year I was in Europe and drove a Citroen manual. It was the bright spot of driving the underpowered and Citroen!

Sponsored

Rogue Tarheel

Badlands
First Name
Catherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW T2, C10, Silverado, 4Runner, Camaro, Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still going back and forth. I wanted a manual. Husband said I should get a auto. I thought he'd want the manual (his dd is a manual Camaro). He thought I'd want the auto. It will probably end up being an auto since it will be the main vehicle our kid learns to drive on next year. That way he can get experience with both transmissions in new cars vs. the old farm vehicles he's learning on now.

I've been driving a manual since I was 11. My dad didn't want me to ever be in a situation where I couldn't drive any vehicle available. Driven everything from tractors to dump trucks. Three on the tree. Even owned a right hand drive manual.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still going back and forth. I wanted a manual. Husband said I should get a auto. I thought he'd want the manual (his dd is a manual Camaro). He thought I'd want the auto. It will probably end up being an auto since it will be the main vehicle our kid learns to drive on next year. That way he can get experience with both transmissions in new cars vs. the old farm vehicles he's learning on now.

I've been driving a manual since I was 11. My dad didn't want me to ever be in a situation where I couldn't drive any vehicle available. Driven everything from tractors to dump trucks. Three on the tree. Even owned a right hand drive manual.
thats sounds like the biggest PITA

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When was the last time Ford offered a manual in a truck? The 3.8 V6? The 7.3 Powerstroke?

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmm, and here I was thinking the Model TT (1917) was the first Ford truck.

Kenny

Big Bend
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Would the crawler gear actually be useful for traffic? I've driven manuals before, but never a crawler gear. I live and work in a big city, so dealing with traffic is the main reason i've been thinking about going with the AT.
So my first vehicle was a ‘79 F100 4x4 with a 4 speed MT. 1st gear was actually what they called a “granny gear.” I lived off the side of a mountain and I could put it in 1st, climb out of the truck, run to the top of my driveway, and get back in when it climbed up all by itself. You could start in 1st or 2nd, but I could impress the girls by letting the truck drive itself! Great for starting on a hill, etc.
Sponsored