Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty easy to do, just find neutral safety switch, unplug, install a jumper wire so the ECM thinks the clutch is in all the time. Did this mod in my TJ. Good for starting in gear when off road and you don't want to drift back.
This comment reminded me of another reason I generally prefer the automatic. I've been on some ugly off camber trails before, and if it's wet or snowy, sometimes your ass end likes to try and slide you down a cliff. When you feel the slide and get yourself stopped, it's generally inadvisable to have any sort of rearward motion.

So in a manual, after you pick your butthole out of the seat fabric, you've now gotta get that vehicle going again with no rearward movement. With a steep enough crawl gear, and provided your front end isn't against a rock or a log, you can left foot clutch, right foot brake, and slowly nose yourself forward. If you don't have a low enough crawl, you're doing some foot gymnastics running the brake and the skinny with the right foot and the clutch with the left. Coupled with the fact that below you is a very long, painful drop if you screw up. That can add up to some serious mental pressure.

Thinking about the last time I flopped my TJ on 35s into a ditch (it happened a few times), I think the 95:1 would have been enough to get me going. As it was with my 4.56 gears and stock T/C, I just didn't have the oomph, and ended up laying sideways after a couple foot drop.

#1. Always wheel with a buddy vehicle.
#2. If you go alone, a winch is not a bad idea ;)

ye 'olde TJ

Ford Bronco Crawler gear in Bronco explained by Engineering Explained pEzBdr7

eujKXGs.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

everetto

Badlands
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford GT, 2019 Shelby GT350R, 2018 Raptor 150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent video!

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if you still need help, speed is how fast you hit the wall. torque is how far you move it under pressure
That’s pretty funny, although I’m sure most of our members took that at face value, and not as a reference to one of EE’s videos.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s pretty funny, although I’m sure most of our members took that at face value, and not as a reference to one of EE’s videos.
weelllll... lol it was the only way i could think of to explain it. who is EE?

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FYI, if you plug the same numbers in with a Squatch and 2.7, you get ~27,000 lb-ft wheel torque, 19,000lbf wheel force, and 1.5 mph per 1,000 rpm.

So yes, a little worse, but still putting so much force to the ground it doesn't matter and going plenty slow for rock crawling.

Sponsored

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
weelllll... lol it was the only way i could think of to explain it. who is EE?
You have to be messing with me.

That’s a horrible analogy and Engineering Explained (same channel) has a video talking about it.

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Crawler gear sounds ideal for drive thrus and traffic. Which is going to be 90% of its life in SoCal

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I remember seeing somewhere that Ford said you would not even need to disengage the clutch to start the truck while in crawler gear. Just crank over and you're off, pretty awesome!
That is not unique. Every manual car or truck I've owned was capable of doing that on a flat surface, hence the reason manufacturers started putting a switch on the clutch to make sure it is depressed before starting.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pretty easy to do, just find neutral safety switch, unplug, install a jumper wire so the ECM thinks the clutch is in all the time. Did this mod in my TJ. Good for starting in gear when off road and you don't want to drift back.

My Tacoma came factory with a clutch start cancel switch. Maybe the Bronco will too.

kairo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI, if you plug the same numbers in with a Squatch and 2.7, you get ~27,000 lb-ft wheel torque, 19,000lbf wheel force, and 1.5 mph per 1,000 rpm.

So yes, a little worse, but still putting so much force to the ground it doesn't matter and going plenty slow for rock crawling.
But you have a torque converter, which helps a ton, and no clutch to fuss with. I had assumed the automatic would only be marginally faster than the stick. Thanks for putting the numbers to it.

All things considered, both the stick and the auto are slow as F in low range for factory vehicles.

Put your truck in first gear, get out, have a picnic, and then stroll back to it kind of slow.

Sponsored

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The crawler gear looks perfect to teach my wife and daughter how to drive a stick!

I had not driven a stick in 20+ years before I got my 2016 Mustang. It seemed like half the dealership was watching me when I took a test drive with the car, perhaps hoping to get a laugh. The sales guy even knocked on my window after a couple of minutes as I was looking through all of the controls before I started driving ("Are you sure that you can drive a manual transmission?"). Quite stressful!

Then after I got the car, I stalled out several times for the first few weeks, usually at lights. If I had this gear, I could have probably avoided that.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow! Now, I want the 7-speed even more.

kairo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The crawler gear looks perfect to teach my wife and daughter how to drive a stick!

I had not driven a stick in 20+ years before I got my 2016 Mustang. It seemed like half the dealership was watching me when I took a test drive with the car, perhaps hoping to get a laugh. The sales guy even knocked on my window after a couple of minutes as I was looking through all of the controls before I started driving ("Are you sure that you can drive a manual transmission?"). Quite stressful!

Then after I got the car, I stalled out several times for the first few weeks, usually at lights. If I had this gear, I could have probably avoided that.
Don't feel too bad. My folks made me take my drivers test with our stick shift vehicle when we had a perfectly good automatic at home too lol.

I've taught a lot of people to drive manuals in my old jeeps. Put 'er in low range and its hard to really screw anything up. Except one girl who couldn't discern a difference between first and third.

LEFT, THEN UP.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don't feel too bad. My folks made me take my drivers test with our stick shift vehicle when we had a perfectly good automatic at home too lol.

I've taught a lot of people to drive manuals in my old jeeps. Put 'er in low range and its hard to really screw anything up. Except one girl who couldn't discern a difference between first and third.

LEFT, THEN UP.
Jumping right into a 300HP+ Mustang and taking it on a test drive after not driving a stick for 20+ years (I had a manual transmission Saturn in the 90s) was not the easiest thing in the world. I would imagine an old Jeep would be much easier.

kairo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jumping right into a 300HP+ Mustang and taking it on a test drive after not driving a stick for 20+ years (I had a manual transmission Saturn in the 90s) was not the easiest thing in the world. I would imagine an old Jeep would be much easier.
I don't think I've ever driven a stick anything with more than 200hp lol. I would LOVE to get a chance to try it in a mustang or a hellcat challenger or a vette.
Sponsored