Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went to pick up my First Edition today. The dealer disclosed that there was damage to the tailgate from the transportation. The damage is behind the spare tire and isn’t visible with the spare tire on. The dealership said that I can take ownership and they will replace the tailgate for free after the part arrives and they paint it. This sounds reasonable, but what about the loss of future resale value? The dealership didn’t offer any discount on price, which is MSRP. I am holding off on taking ownership (and making payment) until I know how to best proceed. I am comfortable negotiating, but I’m not sure what to ask for in this situation. Hoping that the bronco6g group mind can help! What should I do?

FEEC879F-00C6-4C40-80DE-C1E3ADB4ECF1.jpeg

573D98F3-9DB4-4105-BDEB-17917D479CA1.jpeg
If you want to pursue a diminished value claim and hold the transportation provider's insurance to it, contact Billy at Collision Safety Consultants in Belmont, NC.
Give him as much detail as you have/can and he will let you know if it is worth it.

He will likely work remotely, so don't let the Carolina thing push you away.

Tell him a friend of ETI told you about him.

That said, it doesn't look like much... and he charges a percentage of recovered value... so it may not be worth it.
Sponsored

ElJeffe

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeff.henshaw.org
Vehicle(s)
BMW R1250RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very much agree with earlier posters' sentiments: the dealer did the right thing by telling you, and offering to fix it while still giving you some immediate-term fun of driving it.

I'd add that given it's a tailgate, it's easy for them to replace as one big piece. Quite straightforward with no impact to surrounding body panels. If you're gonna have damage, this (or my windshield... dammit!) is the type of damage you want. At the type of dealer you want to have it at.

Enjoy your new Bronco, and feel free to back into stuff while you wait for your new tailgate!

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the exact same bend in my swinggate. My dealership had it repaired at a local shop and it looks great. I dropped it off last Monday, got it back last Thursday afternoon and it's just fine.

The guys at the body shop said they think it's a defect in the Ford design of the swinggate.

Anyway, the fix was to replace the whole swinggate and align it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d6d.jpg
Chris, you need to quit backing into stuff and getting Ford to fix it for free. 😉

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why in the world do you think the resale value would change. And why in the world haven't you signed the papers and driven that thing home. Parts will take a while to come in. Enjoy it.
They ordered my swinggate sometime between Christmas and New Year and it arrived on the 13th of January. Once I brought it in, it took 3 days to repair. It was pretty painless.

I mean, the options right now are take delivery and get it fixed or refuse delivery and order a regular Bronco, not a FE, or well, buy something else, or don't buy anything. I guess there are a lot of options. Me, getting it fixed for free and getting the vehicle I wanted and waited for is just plain worth it. :)

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Where at? I’ll talk to them for you.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One more vote for don't worry about it. Have them replace when it comes in. Good to go!

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP's question has been answered (repeatedly). So since thread tangents are a B6G hallmark, I'll go ahead and do it.

What kinda comms you got in there? What antenna mount is that?

edit: Found your thread! Nice work! Very helpful.

Last edited:

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Work done at the dealer - identified before delivery - will not show up on Carfax. When I worked at one, we did lots of body work on new cars And never took money off for it.

Sponsored

kput

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Bronco 4door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No such thing as "dimished value" on a dealer repair like this. The transport companies pay for the repair and the dealer facilitates it. Let them fix it, and enjoy your new ride.

I'd have them 100% verify with the body shop there won't be anything filed to the CarFax report, as some shops will file no matter what, but other than that 🤷

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Vehicles are damaged in transport and fixed before sale all the time. There is no loss in value.
Yeah, it sucks, especially what you're paying for it, but it's more common than you think.

CantBstill

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What makes you think you should get a discount? Yea it sucks that its damaged but the dealership said they would make it right. I would get it in writing and email if possible.

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They could sell that bad boy for 100k tomorrow. Don't negotiate too hard, bud.

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with the sentiment here. With one caveat - make sure they agree to fix it to your satisfaction and look at the repair from all angles.

I once bought an F-150 that somehow got a significant crease in the door while they were porting it for delivery. Meaning between the test drive and handing me the keys. Same day, while it was in their possession. They of course repaired it, but I didn’t inspect the repair closely enough. For the 3ish years I owned that truck it had a weird “ghosting” effect in that part of the door. I’m not a body work expert, no idea why it was that way, but if the light was just right and if you looked from a certain angle, and only in the repaired area, the reflection was almost like a bad 3D image. Very strange. Don’t let something like that happen to you!
Sponsored