First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was able to personally install a new updated transmission into my personal Bronco yesterday......as soon as I get a cold soak I will update all of you...I was very surprised to find that the new AB transmission has a more solid feeling shift engagement, a change that I was not expecting, but it has only increased my love for this trans. Scraping noise or not, I'd buy this thing again...

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 20231121_104658

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 20231121_131538
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kilgore

Badlands
First Name
Kilgore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Took delivery of a 22 2dr Badlands with the 7MT in October last year. About 400 miles after delivery, the noise made its appearance. At first it was mild and only on days in the 50's or less and It would go away quickly. The noise became progressively worse with time and would not go away until everything was very warm.

This Bronco spends its life on the farm pulling hay and feed wagons. When not doing that, its in the pastures doing chores like fixing fences or running to town. In essence it’s a glorified tractor. In this service, it spends a lot of time between first and second gear making plenty of noise as it chugs along. Other than the noise, it always shifted and ran great.

The visit to the selling dealer, Bud Clary, Longview WA, was horrific. After loosing the rig for 4 weeks and finding they had never looked at it, tore it for me. Took it back and never went back figuring I have a 50k mile warranty. If it grenades, I get a new one.

As the year went by the noise got worse up to about 6k miles then stayed the same. There was never a change in shifting or performance. I did get funny looks in parking lots, my neighbor asked that I stop warming it up near her bedroom window, and I did have strangers in parking lots warning me that something was wrong. My answer was always the same, “nothing is wrong, it’s one of Ford’s better ideas!”

Two weeks ago I went to Astoria Ford in Warrenton OR to get a few minor things taken care of under warranty. This was the first time it was back to Ford in over a year, and almost 17k miles. During that appointment they researched the TSB, ordered all the TSB parts, and the items needed for the other warranty work. The next day I received a call informing me 100% of the needed parts for all my work had arrived and were tagged for my appointment. A second appointment was scheduled for two weeks later, the next open slot.

Last week I dropped it off for its two day visit. At the end of the second day I received a call asking if I could leave it overnight so it could cold soak. They wanted to confirm the noise was gone. It’s been in the 40’s at night, so it was a great idea.

It’s been back home for a few days and as far as I can tell, other than the noise being gone, it shifts the same. Know that things change. So I will post updates as time goes by.

Tomorrow will be a week and 350 miles since having the TSB performed. Our overnight temperatures have ranged from the upper 20's to low 40's. Daytime has not exceeded the low 50's Before the TSB, these temperatures would result an really bad grinding noises. Now it's silent.

Very happy with the result so far, but only time and miles will tell.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was able to personally install a new updated transmission into my personal Bronco yesterday......as soon as I get a cold soak I will update all of you...I was very surprised to find that the new AB transmission has a more solid feeling shift engagement, a change that I was not expecting, but it has only increased my love for this trans. Scraping noise or not, I'd buy this thing again...

I ask, why did you fo it yourself? Something I was thinking of doing myself. How much was the new trans and how long did it take to get?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ask, why did you fo it yourself? Something I was thinking of doing myself. How much was the new trans and how long did it take to get?
Based off the pictures, I’m going to assume he’s a technician at a Ford dealer, which is why he did it himself.

Sponsored

Ixr

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got my bronco back this week after having the tsb done. It is in the 20s low 30s in the am here and the noise is gone. It took 3 weeks to get done since if course parts were backordered.

While they did the transmission tsb I noticed on my paperwork they also did some windshield wiper motor firmware update. The line item reads : F wiper motor software update north america, wiper motor replacement Europe img".

TavisB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ManSquatch, 10 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Made an appointment to get mine looked at in January. Hopefully there are parts available then.

CliffordTheBigRedBronco

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, I am a tech. However the transmission assembly is only 1200$ over the counter from Ford.

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
NFW! I'd buy one just to keep as a spare for that price!
I contemplated it. Although aside from this cold grinding noise I hope there never needs to be a reason to replace it lol
I agree, I'm not going to push any repair unless it becomes undriveable, which to date does not seem to be the case. I have the ESP Warranty through 150k miles, if its going to fail it should by then. But at $1,200 having a spare to draw off of seems reasonable, can always sell it at some point. Chevy had issues with the 6 speed in the 95 ZR-1, I bought a new trans just in case. Never needed it, but on the open market I sold it at a small profit after I sold the car.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I recall the AA was around 4k retail before dropping to ~1500 right before AB came out. Is that what's going on here, AC on the way?
I would guess so. Because the AB was a lot higher until recently.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BD 7mt 37k miles. Dropped mine off Friday, they heard the noise, had it apart and verified wear on the 5/6 gear synchro rings. Parts will be in this week and should be done by end of week. Fingers crossed it fixes the problem. They did give me a rental, covered under the extended warranty.
Sponsored