indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My manual Bronco was an April 2023 build, fortunately just got in on the AB transmission version. So far even in the cold, it hasn't made a noticeable noise.

Then again I don't yet have a lot of milage like some of you. Knock on wood, hope it stays quiet, because I like the trans a lot, it's fun to drive and shifts well for a 4x4.
Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a update today. I called and they are waiting on two bolts. BUT she said the mechanic broke the transfer case while removing the internal parts. They said a local shop is going to weld it and Ford ok'd it. She said a new transfer case is not available> Im not happy. what do you guys think?
NOPE!
they weld it for now, but get a replacement
I read later in the thread the dealership is doing the right thing - hope it works out

Last edited:

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have we actually seen any failures?

Yes it is annoying, but has the noise left anyone stranded?
i have 49K miles, noise has always been quiet and only cold start up, went away over summer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘91 Mustang LX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco built January 19th 2023. Drove it home Feb 3, rock crushing noise started within 100 miles on the odometer. Took it into my dealer 2 weeks ago, they verified it does make the noise in 1st and 2nd gear. They contacted Ford, who told them it was an "acceptable" noise. But if it gets worse, to bring it back.
Have owned/driven 6+ different vehicles throughout the years with manual transmissions, first one that sounds like it is a cement truck mixer. Pretty disappointed to say the least after waiting 2.5 years for this thing. But the transmission so far does shift/operate normally.
Hoping the TSB gets updated for 2023 models, and with the Rev D parts you guys are mentioning.

bronco1trans.jpg
Update 5 Feb 2024: Got a new transmission last month, dropped it off at the dealer Dec 27th, picked it up Jan 4th. They were closed Jan 1st as well for the Holiday. Have put about 650 miles on it since then, 85% city driving (a LOT of daily shifting). Plus about a week of sub 20F temps thrown in for good measure. So far, so good. Shifts great (did before as well), and quiet like a manual transmission should be.

balckstang93

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 base bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, just picked it up after the transmission replacement. No noise. It sat outside the dealership last night and it was 25 degrees this morning when i started it. Shifts excellent too. Not sure what tranny i got. Paperwork says mb3z-7003-E

Sponsored

Kilgore

Badlands
First Name
Kilgore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
5,100 miles since the TSB. It's been 19-21F and no noise. Shifts great.

Quote above details my saga on getting here. Of course things can go to hell tomorrow, but very happy for now.
Approaching 7,000 miles since the TSB and everything is good. Mornings in the low 30's has not brought out any noises. Still shifts great.

Of course everything can go to hell tomorrow.

Will keep posting as the miles accumulate.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This issue can only be resolved if Ford comes up with a newly designed transmission NOT from Getrag... They decided to use cheap, Chinese transmissions, and the consequences are these that we have seen every day with our Broncos for the last three years.
Which, IMO, is why Ford is not making MTs in 2023 and perhaps ever for the Bronco (interestingly, Jeep has paused MT Wrangler production due to their own probs). I think this move to making Rangers in the same plant so Ford can't make MTs in 2023 is a smoke screen for the real reason they "paused" MT production. I hope they start up with a brand new American made MT in 2024 (and we are into 2024 and no new MT) because I'm good on the 5 year powertrain warranty into early 2027. Right now have some of the grinding noise when cold but it is not embarrassingly loud with just over 10k miles on my BD. Since nothing seems to fix this, I'm not bothering now. If my transmission blows up, hopefully it is after they have a new and improved MT, or else they will just replace it with another crappy Chinese one that will make noise and probably not last long.

Not buying what Ford says in this article:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/why-did-ford-stop-bronco-manual-transmission-production/

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Which, IMO, is why Ford is not making MTs in 2023 and perhaps ever for the Bronco (interestingly, Jeep has paused MT Wrangler production due to their own probs). I think this move to making Rangers in the same plant so Ford can't make MTs in 2023 is a smoke screen for the real reason they "paused" MT production. I hope they start up with a brand new American made MT in 2024 (and we are into 2024 and no new MT) because I'm good on the 5 year powertrain warranty into early 2027. Right now have some of the grinding noise when cold but it is not embarrassingly loud with just over 10k miles on my BD. Since nothing seems to fix this, I'm not bothering now. If my transmission blows up, hopefully it is after they have a new and improved MT, or else they will just replace it with another crappy Chinese one that will make noise and probably not last long.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/why-did-ford-stop-bronco-manual-transmission-production/
But aren't manual trans Broncos again available for 2024, I think some folks here have gotten deliveries?

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But aren't manual trans Broncos again available for 2024, I think some folks here have gotten deliveries?
Are they? I was not aware, but if so, I would very much like to know who makes the MT and if still Getrag, what was done to ensure problems do not re-occur with new Getrag MT as they often have been?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are they? I was not aware, but if so, I would very much like to know who makes the MT and if still Getrag, what was done to ensure problems do not re-occur with new Getrag MT as they often have been?
Yes, manuals are back for 24. Nothing has changed, it’s the same transmission.

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh oh, the 7 speed in ‘23 ManBadSquatch must be a unicorn!

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh oh, the 7 speed in ‘23 ManBadSquatch must be a unicorn!
Not really. They made a bunch in 2023, it's just that they completed them all earlier in the model year. Supposedly was to make the line less complex when the Ranger changeover was happening.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2023 Manual...but ok.
Yes, they made manuals for the first several months of 2023, but then stopped until now. Factory transition to add the Ranger they said. Would have been a great time to do away with the Chinese MT and get a new one that is clean so people, like one poster, will not be on their third MT and still same same problem. Engine sounding like a garbage disposal.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yes, they made manuals for the first several months of 2023, but then stopped until now. Factory transition to add the Ranger they said. Would have been a great time to do away with the Chinese MT and get a new one that is clean so people, like one poster, will not be on their third MT and still same same problem. Engine sounding like a garbage disposal.
They were making them again after April of last year. Mine was built in July/August.
Sponsored