Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a mechanical engineer I'd say "Too many variables to tell", but I can see in this shot that the jeep wheel appears to tuck under the body possibly triggering the weight transfer that results in the eventual roll. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

1642217517273.png
Yes, also the Bronco wheel seems to just fold in a lie flat against the body. Plus the Bronco has more 'stuff' on the left side there, Jeep pretty much has only the flimsy fender and a bit of the engine compartment there. Shaped like a boat.
Sponsored

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold šŸ˜„), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wish some of yā€™all could ride in my old ā€˜78 1/2 ton on 12 in skyjackers and 38 buckshot mudders and ask if removing a 4 inch piece of metal on a modern vehicle was safe.
I haven't seen a set of Buckshots in years. Well done!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I haven't seen a set of Buckshots in years. Well done!
We were lucky to live through that. Absolutely no wet highway traction in a vehicle that could barely stay in the lane at 50mph. Those were the days.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold šŸ˜„), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We were lucky to live through that. Absolutely no wet highway traction in a vehicle that could barely stay in the lane at 50mph. Those were the days.
Sounds like my K5 with no power steering on Wild Countrys. It also pulls hard right if I have to slam the brakes. I've been lucky more than a few times haha

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like my K5 with no power steering on Wild Countrys. It also pulls hard right if I have to slam the brakes. I've been lucky more than a few times haha
I kept the hubs locked year round in my K5s as it seemed to tighten up the steering somewhat.
Yours had brakes?

• Haha
Reactions: abe

Sponsored

Pkrpro19

Badlands
First Name
Jaxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M Sport, Mercedes Benz E350, Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get that. But how thick is the gage? Hollow steel and still weigh a decent amount. Have you removed them? Do you know how thick and heavy they are? If you have please share.

Its basically a 1"x1"x6" hollow metal bar. It wont affect anything at all.

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a mechanical engineer I'd say "Too many variables to tell", but I can see in this shot that the jeep wheel appears to tuck under the body possibly triggering the weight transfer that results in the eventual roll. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

1642217517273.png
Said this earlier I think this maybe the reason for the aluminum front lower control arms.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One can only hope the head on is a Mini copper or a Geo Storm . Driving is risky alone ,texting and driving is 5 times more risky .

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@Russ.Gil I know you know this, but no one on here has anything remotely resembling the credentials necessary to speak to the qualitative or quantitative protection offered by the crash bars.

Amateur welders be up in here pretending theyā€™re materials scientists and physicists, prescribing you some veterinary meds while theyā€™re at itā€¦

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not really worried about "tipping over" it was more a question of do they add weight to help keep weight on wheels. I've heard some people have found like 50lbs pet rocks in their jeep installed by manufacturer or aftermarket to keep the center of gravity lower. Was more a question of "do these have a dual purpose."
You must be thinking of LR3/LR4 which had hanging corner weights. Each weighs more than all the "crash" bars plus 2 bumpers.

These hollow tubes are being called crash bars and if Ford actually labels them as such in the parts catalog it is amazing. They look to me instead to be part of the assembly process, big giant assembly crane holds body by the bars and lowers into frame, after which the "assembly" bars are to be removed and recycled.

The ones in front of step look like a good place for Gobi to mount the front of their rack. The ones behind the bumper look like a good place to lount lights.

I have never seen such bars on any other vehicle. If any have them they are hidden by or incorporated into bumper or body

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You're over thinking this or don't understand how they work.

It's a steel tube that's less than a foot long. Go under there and look. I think it was a 13mm socket that is needed. The bolts were torqued so take a breaker bar too.

I spent some time looking at them while I was working on a light bracket (the two bolts make a great mounting point by the way) and am impressed with the simplicity of the design. Its not the weight that makes them useful. Their shape, position, bracket mount, diagonal support, etc. is genius.

I watched crash tests (on here someplace) and wondered how the impact energy from a frontal collision would push the car sideways (good thing) to keep the energy from going all the way into the cab. Looking at the entire design shows how they work. Its a series of collapsible sections that would force an intrusion out as they collapse. Its really quite simple.

Good job Ford. I'm keeping mine.

I can also see how a tapered one would be beneficial and still work to some extent if it was clearanced for a larger tire.
This. From the accident photos I have seen, the bars have functioned as intended.

I don't know the counter factual (if they are removed) nor have I seen comparisons.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anytime. I get your perspective. Iā€™ve got 3 daughters myself and wanted to feel good about it before removing the bars. Iā€™ll probably snag aftermarket bars this year. Also, I put 33s on my BD without a lift and had the most rub with the rear bars, especially in reverse. Rubbing with front bar was minimal. Rear bars need to be tapered to avoid rubbing or just get a big enough lift where it doesnā€™t matter
This ainā€™t a call out against you in the least bit, so I donā€™t want you to internalize what Iā€™m writing, as Iā€˜ve got a family just as everyone else, but if keeping the 3 (or however many) daughters or sons absolutely safe were the top priority (should be), then the best thing for them is for dad to not even own an off road vehicle since going off road and playing in the woods is dangerous!

If dad (any dad) were actually only buying such vehicle to run them to soccer practice and school, or road trips to the beach, then the Bronco should never had been on dadā€™s radar to begin with.

The Explorer is much better and safer in every aspect than a high centered, heavy, truck framed, Spartan, off-roader.

So, letā€˜s just be serious here, the Bronco never has been and ainā€™t now about safety, itā€™s about fun; and dad taking the girls out for some wheeling fun, camping, and hiking, are equally important to their development. Theyā€™ll grow up stronger, more confident, and more capable than if you only kept them cooped up on the pavement and on the couch eating.

Safety is relative and since none of us can have it all, we try to balance whatā€™s safe, vs, what we enjoy.

The Bronco isnā€™t the best for some soft ass adults or soft ass kids. However, for the adventure crowd whoā€˜ll take our chances along with some bumps and bruises along the way, well, this damn machine and others like it may as well be a safe bubble. Other option is a horse and they have thier challenges as well.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This ainā€™t a call out against you in the least bit, so I donā€™t want you to internalize what Iā€™m writing, as Iā€˜ve got a family just as everyone else, but if keeping the 3 (or however many) daughters or sons absolutely safe were the top priority (should be), then the best thing for them is for dad to not even own an off road vehicle since going off road and playing in the woods is dangerous!

If dad (any dad) were actually only buying such vehicle to run them to soccer practice and school, or road trips to the beach, then the Bronco should never had been on dadā€™s radar to begin with.

The Explorer is much better and safer in every aspect than a high centered, heavy, truck framed, Spartan, off-roader.

So, letā€˜s just be serious here, the Bronco never has been and ainā€™t now about safety, itā€™s about fun; and dad taking the girls out for some wheeling fun, camping, and hiking, are equally important to their development. Theyā€™ll grow up stronger, more confident, and more capable than if you only kept them cooped up on the pavement and on the couch eating.

Safety is relative and since none of us can have it all, we try to balance whatā€™s safe, vs, what we enjoy.

The Bronco isnā€™t the best for some soft ass adults or soft ass kids. However, for the adventure crowd whoā€˜ll take our chances along with some bumps and bruises along the way, well, this damn machine and others like it may as well be a safe bubble. Other option is a horse and they have thier challenges as well.
Yep. Well said. As weird as it sounds, keeping them as safe as humanly possible just isnā€™t realistic. They arenā€™t going to live in a bubble or avoid all risks that might result in injury. Thatā€™s part of life. Life is full of decisions that require us to balance risk vs reward and itā€™s up to each of us to make that assessment. I make a living flying a 61 year old airplane because I felt the Air Force was where I wanted my career to be. Definitely not the safest career field out there but I felt like it balanced out the risks of flying/military service and offered me high job satisfaction and a comfortable financial situation for the family. Thatā€™s obviously just one of many situations the fine folks at Bronco 6G will be in, but we all have to make the call we feel comfortable with.

I knew the Bronco wasnā€™t the safest vehicle out there, but itā€™s not an unsafe motorized coffin. I was comfortable with that decision. Thanks for the input

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get that. But how thick is the gage? Hollow steel and still weigh a decent amount. Have you removed them? Do you know how thick and heavy they are? If you have please share.
This is the only picture I have where it's not covered in mud. Zoom in and all of your questions will be answered. The mysterious crash bar seems to only be a barrier to me getting mud flaps.

Ford Bronco Much to do about Crashbars 1642265873981

Nolabel

Wildtrak
First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

See. I have no problem with that for MY safety. But keeping my daughter safe is more important to me than anything else in the world. She's all that matters. So you say you "wish we could" I say let's do it but not with my 15 month old daughter.
Unless your daughter is down by your feet in a crash where those are placed. I'd venture to say it'll be ok.
Sponsored