Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it's a great question and one that a lot of us are struggling with. My current F150 Sport 2.7 auto with rear Locker (32" "all season" tires) gets me most anywhere I need to go. This is limited almost entirely by ground clearance and maybe slightly by the tread design of the tires. The Bronco will have better approach and departure angles, better GOAT modes and even the stock BD 32" all terrains will be more aggressive and capable. So I think the BD 2.3 auto with "advanced" transfer case is my baseline and gets enough capability for the Bronco to be part toy, part daily driver. Probably the case for most of us. For comparison sake, likely close to a Jeep Rubicon, giving up a bit off road and maybe gaining a bit on-road performance and comfort wise. My Lizard brain then kicks in. The aluminum wheels for BD are my favorite and I don't like the steels, so add $1k. If I really want the 265/70/17 tires (I think they will make the BD very capable for my intended use) add $1500 for 5 tires, mounted. Now SQ is only about $2.5k more. Well, for $2.5k it is a smoking deal and gets me a full blown toy that I can take almost anywhere in the country and wheel on most trails that I would be comfortable taking my vehicle on (not where the lunatics with 40" boggers and big blocks run mud pits here in MI). The other plus for me in MI- Snow. 315/70/17s make the option for trail running much better and longer in MI. January through April in a lot of the state would not be accessible on stock BD "32s". Then my really really Lizard brain says, if your spending that much and have the bigger tires, you have to go 2.7, which you really want anyway. That same lizard brain then notices BL, with 2.7 and LUX, that adds the better stereo, adaptive cruise, heated wheel and trail cam (the options, other than mid that I really like) is only $4k more. Plus it gives me the tires I really want (33s). That's how I go from baseline acceptable and really cool at $43K to what I will probably order at $54K that balances all the different capabilities.
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
..... What is the offroading use case for the front locker, lift, Bilstein suspension and 35s? How much less capable in say MOAB is a 2d BD without the sas package? Where am I going to be frustrated that I didn't get the sasquatch? How far will a lift and 32s get me in this case?....
Here is my .02

There will always be an obstacle you will get stuck on, no matter the mods you have.
I prefer to drive over (bigger lift) vs drag over (slide on skid plates and differential housings). An inch difference can be what separates a fun trial from drama on the trail.
Using a locker for ten seconds can save you ten minutes on a trail.

Majority of off-road machines at places like Moab and canyon lands don’t even have one locker and they are out exploring and having fun all the time.

You may get stuck on BL stock and wish you squashed it and at the same time you may get stuck on a SAS rig and still not be happy.

If you can afford the SAS and not be bothered about the price tag then get it because it’s good stuff. But having the SAS package guarantees you nothing off-road.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here is my .02

There will always be an obstacle you will get stuck on, no matter the mods you have.
I prefer to drive over (bigger lift) vs drag over (slide on skid plates and differential housings). An inch difference can be what separates a fun trial from drama on the trail.
Using a locker for ten seconds can save you ten minutes on a trail.

Majority of off-road machines at places like Moab and canyon lands don’t even have one locker and they are out exploring and having fun all the time.

You may get stuck on BL stock and wish you squashed it and at the same time you may get stuck on a SAS rig and still not be happy.

If you can afford the SAS and not be bothered about the price tag then get it because it’s good stuff. But having the SAS package guarantees you nothing off-road.
This is why I'm thinking just a stock Base 4DR, well with Aux Switches and Floor Liners. If I get into off-roading I'll farkle away!! I still may option the 2.7 though.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The real difference is determined by how you use the vehicle. A non-Sasquatch model/trim is going to 95% of the places the other vehicle is going, but how often do you want to get to that last 5%? Do you drive 100% of the time to the 95% or do you want to drive 1% of the time to that last 5% extreme trail.

As others stated, that other 5%, the Sasquatch is mostly sold through marketing a dream, not based on actual need or necessity. If you've never been stuck, you probably don't need the front locker, but when you do, you do. Plenty of people have driven all over this country with open differentials, but when you've got a tire off the ground, or you're driving in slippery-as-snot mud, you'll wish you had locking differentials. Most people think they want to be a 1%'er, but they don't really want that. Do you though, do you really want to get through the most extreme trails? Otherwise, carry a small shovel and a tow strap, or traction recovery board and hit all but the most extreme trails.

You don't need the front locker or lift or 35" tires, unless you want to go where that last 5% go. In addition to that though, you need experience off road, because without the experience, lockers and 35" won't get you any further than a good driver on 31" tires and open diffs. It's the rider, not the bike, that wins races.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always tell people, you'd be amazed at how far my 69 Bronco on 33's and open diffs would take you.
If I weren't such a tight ass, I'd do Big Bend or Black Diamond on 33's , rear locker..... but for less money I can get a Base Squatch.... easy decision for me.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ll be squaching mine for mostly looks and resale. It will go off road, but nothing extreme enough to need 35s vs 33s.

we plan on keeping the bronco for a long time and I think these Broncos will be more desirable, down the road, with the Sasquatch package.

Plus if my wife doesn’t like driving it with the 35s we can swap them out with the 33s on my truck. Actually, I hope she doesn’t like them! Wait a minute, my wife is going to have bigger tires on here vehicle than mine...

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do I need the Sas with my BL to get up this

if yes then I’m all set.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First time i did the rubicon i was oped diffs 33s got beat up,next time lockers ,gears,35s 4in lift ,it made it so much more capable my girl drove most of the trail she said it was easy .
If you think you will want to go outside your comfort level anytime get the sas its a great deal and factory installed with a warranty.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can have a shit ton of fun in Moab on 33's and a rear locker, just ask my Xterra. Fins n things, wipeout hill, seven mile rim are stupid fun.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do I need the Sas with my BL to get up this

if yes then I’m all set.
That’s some serious I don’t give a f*** stuff right there!

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That video was impressive. They were working that wheel and had the skinny pedal mashed.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I always tell people, you'd be amazed at how far my 69 Bronco on 33's and open diffs would take you.
If I weren't such a tight ass, I'd do Big Bend or Black Diamond on 33's , rear locker..... but for less money I can get a Base Squatch.... easy decision for me.
Exactly. Also, that extra 1.5" (or so) of lift on the Sas will get you closer to the midships ground clearance of the '69.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My user pic is my stock height CJ-7 with 31" tires and open diffs at Moab. No you don't need Sasquatch. And also consider the traction control on the new Bronco will act like a sort of locking diff. So they won't simply behave like open diffs as on older rigs. But if you do need the Sas components for real use (or for the Walter Mitty aspect), I'd get the Sas package rather than build it later.
The only thing about your example is that your CJ on 31s is far better than a JK/JL on 31s. The standard Bronco even a 2 door is heavier, wider, longer, and lower(everywhere except the CJs indestructible belly pan). I even out wheeled a TJ on 35s with 6" of lift with my old 5" lift CJ5 with 33s and no shocks mounted. Traction control will help a bit but wont offset the fact that it has delicate bits underneath that were non existent in the CJs day.

PaddyNY

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How will the 35’s handle on the pavement?
Sponsored