First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I Don't keep my ear as close to the ground on Jeeps as I do on the Bronco, But I'm still fairly active on the Jeep forums, and I haven't heard of any similar failures on the JLU or Gladiator, and with the very popular Z-automotive Tazer programmer, They even have the same function as Trail Turn Asist, I would guess there are as many Jeeps with the Tazer, 37" tires, and the M220 axle as there are Broncos with the same basic configuration (My wife's Gladiator is on 37"s with a Tazer, though she doesn't really wheel it hard like she does her JKU).

I really think what we're seeing is some bad batches of plug welds on M220's that ended up in Broncos, I'm pretty sure they don't run the Bronco and Jeep axles down the line at the same time.

Or there is a difference in the geometry of the arms/trackbar in the Bronco that places more stress on the plug weld than Jeep's geometry.

In the failures we've seen, have the plug welds been actually completely falling out, or sheering at the tube? If they are falling out, I'm guessing bad welds, If Sheering at the tube, My guess would be geometry twisting the tube more
Two of my left side plug welds came out completely. One of the plugs dropped onto my diff cover so I could take a look at it. Dealer service department said the plug weld indicated they were not welded correctly at time of manufacturing.
Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just to add the Dana60 will have the same issues, they all need braces or at least weld the damn tubes, so dumb.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two of my left side plug welds came out completely. One of the plugs dropped onto my diff cover so I could take a look at it. Dealer service department said the plug weld indicated they were not welded correctly at time of manufacturing.
Well that's pretty definitive as a defective axle, Even though your rig is pretty heavily modified, a plug weld that falls out is pretty hard ot blame on geometry!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just skimmed through seven pages of this. For clarification...no ones axles are bent, it's the axle tube that's failing...is that correct?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just skimmed through seven pages of this. For clarification...no ones axles are bent, it's the axle tube that's failing...is that correct?
correct, the tubes are either spun or they get out of alignment when the plug fails.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is unfortunate for the OP, obviously a manufacturer defect. However by modifying the Bronco, it gave ford a way out.

If this is a trend with a bad batch, at some point ford may do a recall or a tsb and the OP maybe able to recoup some repair cost.

I remember a time, when people didn't modify their vehicles until they were out of warranty for these very reasons. Now people are modifying the heck out of their Broncos before they even take them off road.

We all know Ford has some serious build quality issues right now (possibly other manufacturers as well)

When you get a new vehicle, give it some time and some mileage to work out factory defects before you go all custom.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So did your dealer install a new housing under warranty?

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is unfortunate for the OP, obviously a manufacturer defect. However by modifying the Bronco, it gave ford a way out.

If this is a trend with a bad batch, at some point ford may do a recall or a tsb and the OP maybe able to recoup some repair cost.

I remember a time, when people didn't modify their vehicles until they were out of warranty for these very reasons. Now people are modifying the heck out of their Broncos before they even take them off road.

We all know Ford has some serious build quality issues right now (possibly other manufacturers as well)

When you get a new vehicle, give it some time and some mileage to work out factory defects before you go all custom.
I hate to agree with you (because manufacturers shouldn't be finding excuses to avoid their responsibility) but it's the reality we live nowadays.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Need to get @mpeugeot to get another tracker going so we can see if this is just a bad batch (build date range) or something else. Plugs should not be falling out. Shearing internally because the tube spun 10 degrees, OK, but if it penetrated into the center section, should still be visible. A shitty weld with minimal or no penetration on either part would mean all of the stress would be applied to the friction fit between the tube and housing. In that case, you'd think the leak would be at the joint, not so much at the plug weld and would see a visible dislocation between the two. What if the panhard bar is pushing the left axle housing through the bracket when left side is on the ground and right is up in the air? Looks like a couple of these are leaking on both sides so that might blow that theory.

Still want to know if the problem is the tube twisting in the housing or if it's a linear separation across the axle plane.

Jofenech

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Aside from the technical side of this, I think the biggest factor is your dealer. I took one of my vehicles into a dealer with damage I admittedly did, explained how I did it, and it being all my fault, to which he replied, “it just broke and you have no idea why ?” … dealers are different… it was fixed under warranty,

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's kind of dumb that Ford won't stand behind their product. Especially when they advertise that you should lift it which implies putting bigger tires etc on it.
NO, you're implying putting bigger tires on it.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's interesting, but no, won't do much as a truss because it's not solidly connected to the tubes, and also relatively light metal (5mm/a little less than 3/16").

A truss really needs to be welded to both tubes to prevent twisting/bending, This could be welded to the tubes, but then it's design would make it impossible to remove the differential cover for servicing.
Ok thanks! Trying to avoid removing axle. Been there done that on 97 TJ Wrangler. Friend welded truss on for me but went Tera 60 eventually.

Question I have is whether there’s a way to check the axle plugs to see if they are OK?
Sponsored