Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's 15 ft/lbs (-/+ 2 ft/lbs).
oh man! I've been using my 100lb impact wrench for the last dozen or so times I took it off. I guess I got lucky.
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

He claims it broke before modification (addition of weatherstripping not authorized or approved or in accessory catalog) and since roof is designed to be removed and/or replaced for a period with a factory softtop, the mere fact of removal or switching tops nowhere is mandated to be performed by an ASE certified tech.

It would be like hooks on side windows breaking from being disconnected but prior to using a button splice to tighten it up.

That being said, extended warranties usually only cover moving parts. Example I had was the plastic thermostat housing on my LR3 self destructor and emptied engine of all coolant. Fortunately no engine damage but coverage of a plastic accessory to powertrain was denied. Thermostat housing is an accessory and not integral to powertrain
Your advisor screwed you. If they submitted it as a leaking t-stat it should have fallen under powertrain coverage. Its a whole assembly you have to replace. Its all in how its worded when you submit a claim to the warranty company.

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your advisor screwed you. If they submitted it as a leaking t-stat it should have fallen under powertrain coverage. Its a whole assembly you have to replace. Its all in how its worded when you submit a claim to the warranty company.
True, wording does affect a claim but if a t-stat is under exclusions, it will not be covered by extended warranties unless it was subsequent damage from a covered item.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Factory warranty might have covered it but it was after factory expired, added extended warranty and they are not all equal. In hindsight I should have saved my money

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All things considered it is a good post for people to learn to be more careful when messing with the hard top. This sucks.

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All things considered it is a good post for people to learn to be more careful when messing with the hard top. This sucks.
No doubt. In a manual with 20 pages dedicated to how to use the seats and seat belts, it would be nice to have just a single line in the one-page top removal section that says "resting the top on the alignment pins may damage the fragile top so don't do that." The only warning about storing the top says to make sure the rear window is open to avoid damaging the seal. I'll readily admit we need more personal responsibility in the modern world but it seems Ford has set folks up for failure in this case.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is some serious B.S. I have a extended warranty on the my Bronco (150k miles). Last month, I pulled up my hardtop to put in additional weather stripping (rather than complaining about the hideous top in the first place - just shy of 36k miles) and the damn top ended up cracking severely.

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

(this happened before re-installing the MIC top, but all fasteners were torqued to manufacturers speciation with a torque wrench).

Ya, apparently, that's not even likely to be accepted under the warranty anyway. It was never dropped, never off the Bronco, and only moved a few inches back to add additional weather stripping.

So, knowing that they might refuse to warranty it for being dropped, I still brought it in to the dealer. The dealer, while polite, courteous, and friendly looked to see if it was even a covered item under ESP. It isn't!

F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.

So, for anyone thinking that Ford will stand behind this obviously defective top unless forced at gun point, they won't.

I hope my motor shells out at 149,975 miles. I want to see Ford eat a bag of sausages.

Also, my Sync 4 system still isn't updating, but they "might" be able to get me in for service in late November. You can get military mental health appointments faster than that. WTF @Ford Motor Company.

Sure am happy I got an extended warranty plan... The basic warranty didn't even last a year (for a non-moving part clearly not affected by mileage) and the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).
Maybe read next time and see what the warranty actually covers. That includes zero body panels, whether they’re removable or not. This ain’t Fords fault it’s yours 100%. Not only did you not read what you bought, you broke your top too and want someone else to pay for it. Anyone with a few brain cells can see that didn’t decide to fracture on its own. Maybe forget to take the bolts out when trying to remove?

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Polite or not, too many people have an entitled attitude these days and want something for free and that how you came off in the op. If what you say is true, and it was in fact over tightened from the factory, unfortunately theres no way to prove it. As an advisor my suggestion would be call your insurance company and start a claim.
By the way, telling someone to start an insurance claim over something that they can fix themselves doesn't sound like the best course of action, well let's just say that your opinion has been noted. I think that I will just fix the problem myself.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe read next time and see what the warranty actually covers. That includes zero body panels, whether they’re removable or not. This ain’t Fords fault it’s yours 100%. Not only did you not read what you bought, you broke your top too and want someone else to pay for it. Anyone with a few brain cells can see that didn’t decide to fracture on its own. Maybe forget to take the bolts out when trying to remove?
No, that wasn't the issue.

Fine, 100% my fault, doesn't matter that the top was defective.

Keep making up facts, I lifted up moved it back 2-3 inches, set it down, and it broke. That's what happened, I have not hidden any details, and I really don't care if you think that you know better.

Also, I didn't want a new top, I would have been fine with it being repaired. I am actually not even butthurt that it was denied, a little disappointed, but that's it. It's not a big deal to repair, plus I have a Bestop Trektop sitting in the garage.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

By the way, telling someone to start an insurance claim over something that they can fix themselves doesn't sound like the best course of action, well let's just say that your opinion has been noted. I think that I will just fix the problem myself.
Point is youll get more results. Then you can get a brand new top, repair this one, and sell it.

I then set it down on the Bronco, when the one guide pin failed to support the weight of the top
You just said it yourself right there. A guide pin and a support pin are not the same. And before you come back with some other excuse, Ill have you know I did the same thing couple weeks ago putting mine back on. I sat it on the body and it slid slightly inward and broke the pin out completely. JB weld ftw.

top.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Point is youll get more results. Then you can get a brand new top, repair this one, and sell it.

You just said it yourself right there. A guide pin and a support pin are not the same. And before you come back with some other excuse, Ill have you know I did the same thing couple weeks ago putting mine back on. I sat it on the body and it slid slightly inward and broke the pin out completely. JB weld ftw.

Ford Bronco Warning: Extended Warranty didn't cover MIC Top crack damage to
I don't know what you mean by saying that I am coming up with excuses. It broke, that's what happened, I didn't treat it poorly or harshly. FWIW, yours broke in a much nicer way.

I guess if I was looking to profit, sure, I could claim it, but that's just not me. It would fetch a fair dollar if I claimed it and sold it, but that just wouldn't sit right with me (so now you can call me stupid for not grabbing the cash).

Signal Ahead

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That bites. :( First time I saw the oversized hardtop mounting flange and bolt pattern spacing, I thought it was an odd design choice. Potentially asking for trouble if pressure is put on the flange.

I don't think spreading epoxy on the surface will suffice for a fix. And to glue together along the crack, you'd want the correct cement that would match the hardtop material, to fuse the broken piece back together. For now I'd maybe get a 1/4 thick piece of plastic or 1/8 aluminum and put it on top of the broken flange area (drill some holes for the bolts), then tighten bolts as normal to kind of sandwich the broken area giving it support.

Yes, I'd be ticked with that breakage and no warranty coverage. My CJ hardtop has been through the wringer bashed around and mounting flange is still in good shape.
Sucks! Sorry... But.... It h
Class action lawsuit. Usually the lawyers take the lion’s share of any settlement while the plebs with the problem get pennies. Push comes to shove I can swap to a Bestop soft top on mine, but I would prefer to see Ford take care of this with a redesigned top at some point.
Sadly, we first owners are all Guinea pigs. I have a 2 dr hardtop and wouldn't trade it for a soft top ever. To me, and I know it is just my opinion, but I couldn't own one with a rag top.

It's funny cause I remember the dealer even called me and was trying to get me to remove the: Squatch package, the 2.7., and the hard top . To which, I told him, ""What the hell will I have if I remove all three of those options?" and he looked at me like I was nuts.

I have sympathy for that crack, that would drive me crazy to look at. I would venture to say that standard glass will work and bonds quite well to the substrate. I would sand the shit out of it and fab up a nice set of matching plates, one for each side, then bond them over each side only on the top. Flip it over and just glaze coat the bottom with one sheet of fiber to get something locked over it. Sand the living hell out of it for hours and flat black the entire lower lip all the way around.

I don't think I will ever remove my top. Our family has had a few Broncos over the years and we never removed the tops any of them. If the roll bar was round and the entire structure didn't look like a truck with its doors and fenders taken off, I would be all for removing things, but they didn’t make the truck look right with the top and doors removed. Again, just my opinion, which, of course, means nothing.

I will say, considering Ford will probably want 4 grand for a new top and you ain't getting it for two years anyway cause they are gonna put it on a truck that is still on backorder from 2 years ago, you just need to take your time and do the neatest and strongest fix you can. Do you have any friends into Corvettes!!

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a break there too. It was technically my fault as we were not exactly graceful in putting the top back on. However, this is definitely a poor design and should be stronger knowing that these tops are meant to be taken off and put back on.

Jofenech

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When you fix your top , maybe consider making the locating pins so they can push down from the top to do their job, and not put stress on the area again. Good luck, sounds like you got it figured out and when you’re done I’m sure it will be better than new.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I do love how so many people are quick to tell me that I am the problem... LOL.
I was not insinuating that you did this, but rather, you would need to prove that you didn't. In the world of warranties, you're guilty until proven innocent.
And it is quite noble of you to share your story for others to heed. Reading through this forum, it seems these hardtops are quite the lottery.
Do post an update once you fix yours; that would be great to see.
Sponsored