Sponsored

What will Ford do about V8 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392?

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford is not gonna do anything. There’s a reason Jeep teased this heep the same weekend as the reveal, cause they’re scared. Ford took one look at it, laughed, shrugged and went about their business. They know that they have the better product for literally 95% of consumers if not more.

If/when the Warthog/Braptor comes out in a few years it won’t be as a response to this $80K engine wrapped in Jeep parts. Ford won’t respond to anything Jeep does until there is at least a new generation Wrangler.

Edit to add one of my favorite quotes: “Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far” That’s the complete opposite of what Jeep is doing.
Sponsored

Covfefe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Your Bronco Model
Base
It looks like the Jeep Rubicon 392 is happening. What will Ford do to answer? Why didn’t they make the 3.5 EcoBoost available? Or even the 5.0 coyote? Or better yet, the 3.5 H.O. from the Raptor? I’m sure they will do something to up the power in a couple of years, just somewhat bummed that I will have to trade up, rather than having that option now.
Ford doesn’t have to do jack shit. Jeep is desperate

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm old school I don't want an eco boost I don't want turbos. I like big old v8s. They're just more fun to drive and the sound better
im genz and i still want a v8. hardcore enthusiast here. i got the reveal by telegram so it was confusing to read... anyone mind giving me the details?? /s

Sponsored

Dark Knight

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My bet is both of yall are way off. It will only be available in a Rubicon from what a heard and they can be optioned in the mid 60s already. I'm betting the 392 will be into the $80K plus. It's more a marketing stunt than anything. It'll never be a viable model.
your probably right on the price lol. I just want to make wrangler owners feel better about it being "competition".

Goocci gang

Base
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a jeep. If they put in a 392..... It is going to be terrible. The electric steering box in the JLs is the worst, and jeep doesn't have a fix. It will be 400HP+ of terrible driving mannnn. Plus it has to be SUPER expensive. The diesel engine option is $4,000 bucks! My loaded rubicon was msrp 57000. So a loaded 392? easily 70,000.
JL is a 1000x better driving then the jk. I've owned both.

The JL is the best driving wrangler ever made... It's still a Brick but you can't compare a solid axle box to regular suv, jeeps will always ride rough

BHALE44

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC Sierra 4x4 (unfortunately)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think Jeep is screwing up big! I highly doubt that many people are going to be shelling out $70k for a 6.4. Jeep should of started with the 5.7 hemi. On the ram truck it has 395 hp and 400 TQ. If Jeep could of had a V8 option in the $40k range it would be obtainable to alot more customers.

NM_21Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep is neck-deep in this business. Ford just needs some time to get its footing. They don't have to directly compete with every variation right out of the gate (even though it sounds like that's the plan in the next 5 years or so)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It looks like the Jeep Rubicon 392 is happening. What will Ford do to answer? Why didn’t they make the 3.5 EcoBoost available? Or even the 5.0 coyote? Or better yet, the 3.5 H.O. from the Raptor? I’m sure they will do something to up the power in a couple of years, just somewhat bummed that I will have to trade up, rather than having that option now.

What will they do? Do they need to do? Has interest in the Bronco been low? Reservations numbers below forecast?

Fords will offer a high performance model eventually once they get caught up on deliveries for reservations and dealer orders. I'd say at least 2 years down the road. It wont be made in huge numbers and won't be the driving force of whether the Bronco is successful or not.

Last edited:

Sponsored

futzin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think Jeep is screwing up big! I highly doubt that many people are going to be shelling out $70k for a 6.4. Jeep should of started with the 5.7 hemi. On the ram truck it has 395 hp and 400 TQ. If Jeep could of had a V8 option in the $40k range it would be obtainable to alot more customers.
So, so agree.

If Jeep had utilized the 5.7, I'd have a Gladiator by now. So now I await more info (pricing, towing) on the Bronco instead. If Jeep prices the JT more realistically (IMO), then I'm still interested in it. I want to tow 5K comfortably with something fun. Right now, for me, that's JT and Bronco (maybe).

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Besides the Raptor, hope Ford just ignore this thing.

Outside of the pros with sponsored rigs, the only people who want a V8 in a Wrangler are people who've never driven a Wrangler.

There is nothing about that weak sheetmetal crawler that could possibly make me want to drive it faster. Even the Jeep Mojave Gladiator is a joke to me.

Honestly, I think Jeep is doing this as a big build up to the 2022 Wrangler and it's possible switch to IFS. Please hold the flaming. ? I know that sounds blasphemous, but think about it.

Although I still think SFA has a place in this world, the writing is on the wall. Pro crawlers can get older rigs or mod a new one, but there's going to be a tradeoff. Do you want speed and comfort, or crawl ability? Most Wrangler owners aren't doing anything serious off road and are going to vote for the former.

Goob

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Off topic, but does Ford still make the Triton 5.4L that was in the 07 GT500’s? I had one and thought it was a great engine with that supercharger strapped to it. Man, stock 500 HP was a LOT in 2007.

My current 2010 FX4 has the Triton, but wasn’t sure if 2010 was the last year they made it since the 2011’s were the first year for the Ecoboost. Correct?

Last edited:

Axe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2018 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right now there's a 422 page, 2 yr/5 month old steering issue thread on the JL forum. Which Fiat still hasn't fixed. I could care less about a V8, so instead hopefully 2 1/2 years after the Broncos release there is no 422 page thread about an issue Ford refuses to acknowledge. That's what Ford can do - build a vehicle that isn't a pos.

Blind sheep Jeep fanboys will be blind sheep fanboys, but I guarantee you they've lost a boatload of sales and confidence in their brand from that one thread alone. I know they lost one from me, and whenever I hear anyone talking about getting a new Jeep i direct them to that forum and that thread.

The balls in your court Ford.
Sponsored