Sponsored

What would I be losing by switching from 2.7 to 2.3 motor?

Wildtrak2022

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus is300
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Need a little help
I have 2022 outerbank on order with 2.7 Motor
What would I be losing if switch to 2.3 motor
Sponsored

Hendog

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj-40 times 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove a four door with the 2.3 and I got to say I was quite impressed. About a fifty mile test drive.
No mountains or interstate passing involved.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO you aren't losing a lot. Losing +/-30hp and +/-90ftlb torque. The 2.3 is pushing 300hp on premium fuel which is more than enough power for a typical daily driver.

Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also if you go with the 2.3 and later decide you really wish you had more power, you’ll likely be able to buy a Ford Performance tune with warranty. I believe their tune for the Ranger makes an additional 25 horsepower and 40 lb-ft torque

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You would lose not being able to have a manual and the ability to trash talk 4 bangers.
Outer Banks so.... cannot lose the ability to have a manual when you never had the option.

The 4 banger crowd can't hear the taunts because they are on the trail vs waiting on new engines at the dealer.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are even remotely considering a manual, do it. The 2.3L plus 7-spd changes the complexion of the Bronco in a major way. I would posit that there will be MANY buyers who will, in the not distant future, regret not getting the 7-spd when they had the chance. It's FAR more fun to drive than I was expecting...and I was expecting a lot. 2.7L has more torque - which is to be considered - but the manual experience far outweighs that IMO. Plus FPP tune is in-bound...don't sleep on that one. Just see what it did for new gen Rangers...

My review:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/delivered-2022-badlands-sasquatch-7-speed-review.35232/

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have driven a Bronco with both motors. I have also driven an Explorer Timberline edition with the 2.3. I noticed no difference while driving on highway, or local roads. I made the switch from the 2.7 to 2.3 on my BL order. The engine failures occurring with the 2.7 caused me concern. I only went with the 2.7 initially because I am a geezer who has always owned V8 powered Fords. Add in testosterone ,and I was bigger motor for sure. In the end, the piece of mind going with the 2.3 is what I desired. The odds of suffering a 2.7 failure may be minimal, but the way my luck runs, I would be one of them. Plus, I saved $1800 , so there’s that. My BL will not be a rock crawler, or a severe off road machine. The dunes of the east coast beaches, and well defined back road trails will be its life in the wild. It will spend more time driving highways to get to the national parks this nation has preserved.

Last edited:

2021AreaFiftyOneOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had the opportunity to test drive the 2.3, but still went with the 2.7 after comparing 'engine notes.' I acknowledge, this isn't an intelligent reason to choose an engine, but the 2.3 does sound like a 4 cylinder, compared to the 2.7's throatiness - which to me sounds a bit more like a V8 through my cabin. Most people won't care or notice, and the power felt very comparable under normal driving conditions.

On a side note, I've noticed a lot of online reviews of the 2.3 still sound very comparable to the 2.7 with the throatiness. That wasn't the case in my experience with the test drive.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think I would pair the 2.3 with a 2 door only. 2.7 with the 4 door.