Sponsored

What would I be losing by switching from 2.7 to 2.3 motor?

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are definitely things you lose. To say you aren't is just plain wrong.

However, depending upon where and how you are going to use you Bronco will determine whether or not these things will matter to you or not.

Both engines are capable and worthy for particular fits. You have to decide which is best for your uses.

If you go with the 2.3l you will get better mpg, so for some that will be important, as an example.

Hills, passing, wind, towing, high altitude, etc. the 2.7l is the better option. Electronic brake boost, trail 1-pedal drive, more Hp, substantially more torque, etc.

You alone know why your buying a Bronco and how you plan to use/drive it and where.
In this application the 2.3 isn't getting better mpg. In some cases it will get worse mpg than the 2.7. Generally people chose a 4 banger for economic reasons, but in this case besides a few grand upfront there really isn't any.
Sponsored

77Highboy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Jags, 2 Jeeps, Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yet another way to think about this....my initial order (2D) was for a 2.7L Wildtrack, then changed to BL w/Sas. As it stands now, I switched to BL 2.3, Manual, and dropped the Sas package. Here was my rationale:
- 2.3 I think will have plenty of torque for the 2D
- Love the idea of driving the Bronco with the stick, seems like it "goes with" the 2D at least
- I ordered the 4.7 gears as I plan to run 35s, or even considering 37s
- My off-roading will be not much
- Dropped Sas because same suspension as BL, spec'd the 4.7 gears, and will swap out rims & tires anyway.

If it were me, I think if I was going 4 door and typically carrying people, gear, and maybe towing, I could see the scale tip towards the 2.7.

But, just for comparison's sake, my 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has the bullet proof 4.0L 6 w/190hp and 235ft lbs of torque. More recent Jeeps (2021) are either the 2.0L turbo (270hp, 295 ft lbs) or the 3.7L (285hp, 260 ft lbs).

This would suggest, in a truck like this where its torque that matters more than high RPM HP, that the 2.3L (275hp, 315 ft lbs) would be just fine and out performs anything Jeep has had up until the 392, which is a different beast altogether, and by the way, does it on regular gas. For a bit more out of the 2.3L, (300hp, 325 ft lbs), just fuel up with 91-93 octane. Plus, as others here have noted, a Ford Performance tune for the 2.3L may be available soon also.

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Need a little help
I have 2022 outerbank on order with 2.7 Motor
What would I be losing if switch to 2.3 motor
I have the 2.3 auto. I don’t think you’ll miss anything!

Deleted User 21488

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Plymouth Duster, 2013 Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am coming up on a month of driving 2.3/7MT. I really haven't at any point thought "man, this thing just doesn't have it". It's lively and enjoyable to drive. If you are die hard on the MT as I was, I don't believe you'll disappointed going with the 2.3. Neither of these options are a V8, which makes the "who has the bigger engine" pissing contest kinda limp.

They're 4500+ lb SUVs, not racing machines. The 2.3 is plenty for what most people will do.

Sponsored

speedius

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3 2.0T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My initial preference was the unavailable 2.3 Manual BD Mid Package. I had to think about how badly I wanted the manual, and came to realize it is MIC, which didn't sit well with me. At that point I just "went for it" and got the 2.7.

That said, I drove a 2.3 manual at an off road event last month and it was fantastic. It's a great engine.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

have any trans failures on your ND? I had a ND1 RF. I’m going back and forth on changing my 2.7 order to a 2.3 to get a manual. But I really want remote start, so even if I switch to the 10 speed should I pocket the $1800 and just get a tune on the 2.3?
Nope, i have 5k miles of turbo track miles, and driving to and from the track. No issues. My friend does have a nd1 from 2016 and gone through 3 of them. But he's a different animal.
I had a 2016 ND1 before they updated the transmissions due to failures. Thought I was out of the clear at 30k, then boom! 2nd gear shredded the transmission 2 months out of the factory warranty and Mazda wouldn't warranty it even though it was a known issue on early 16 NDs with TSBs at dealerships

82BroncoATX

Badlands
First Name
Barnett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 21 Bronco, 14 HD Dyna, 15 HD XL1200X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive got a 4dr with the 2.3L/MT. I have a 2dr BL on the way it will also have the 2.3L/MT....that being said....the power is atrocious in both (2.3/2.7). Great for low speed off-roading, terrible for daily. Once Ford comes out with a warranty backed Ford Racing product thatll be my first buy. IMO the 2.7L is slow due to the 10spd trans, its gearing just kinda sucks...the 2.3L has zero power until 3500rpms. once the turbo kicks in though...its great...it just takes forever for that to happen.

Aerie79

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Need a little help
I have 2022 outerbank on order with 2.7 Motor
What would I be losing if switch to 2.3 motor
I just changed my order BACK to the 2.3 and I'm happy. Thought the 2.7 was more than I needed. I drove a 2Dr 2.3 all day at Off-Roadeo and it was awesome....awesome.....torque when I needed it, great low rpm manners.....

Not saying 2.7 is a bad choice in any way -- but I don't need it and wont miss it....

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've driven both and to me the additional torque of the 2.7 is nice for passing, hills, driving in wind, etc. And the upgraded braking system is an improvement over the 2.3l also. But it's a personal preference. Both will be able to be tuned later. I'd rather have more power than I need then find out later I wished I had it.

2.7l has both direct and port injection(2.3l only di) and creates its maximum hp and torque at lower rpms than the 2.3l meaning it doesn't have to work as hard to maximize its power.

I kinda agree that the 2.3l is probably all you need on the 2 doors, but personally I wouldn't want it in the 4 doors especially if squatched and all with the added weight.

I have the 2.7l and will still likely tune it when Ford performance comes out with one.

I have the 2.3l with Ford performance tune in my Ranger Tremor and its been fantastic, but it also weighs less than my bronco and isn't shaped like a box.

But I'm high on both engines and have had good experiences with both in the respective vehicles that they are in.
Can you let us know difference in brake feel (mushy) 2.3 vs 2.7?

Sponsored

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ive got a 4dr with the 2.3L/MT. I have a 2dr BL on the way it will also have the 2.3L/MT....that being said....the power is atrocious in both (2.3/2.7). Great for low speed off-roading, terrible for daily. Once Ford comes out with a warranty backed Ford Racing product thatll be my first buy. IMO the 2.7L is slow due to the 10spd trans, its gearing just kinda sucks...the 2.3L has zero power until 3500rpms. once the turbo kicks in though...its great...it just takes forever for that to happen.
I have the 2.7l in my FE and it's plenty peppy and gets to 80+ easily and eats up the hills.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Can you let us know difference in brake feel (mushy) 2.3 vs 2.7?
2.3l braking in my Tremor can be mushy, I'd anticipate same in Bronco. Braking in my 2.7l Bronco is far better.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've driven 2.3L MT for 2 weeks and I've a couple of instances of mushiness in brakes but nothing anywhere near alarming enough for me to think there's a safety issue. I simply lift my foot, let some pressure build and depress again. It's nothing.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The discussions in this thread are as pointless as the Jeep versus Bronco threads.
The answers to the question asked in this forum are 100% dependent on the respondents opinion(s). There are rarely any facts that support the differing viewpoints, just opinions based on unknown perspectives.

So, to Wildtrak2022 who asked the original question, the only real answer is "it depends on your needs and requirements". If your need is to go mach III with your hair on fire or beat others off the line at stop lights, then the 2.7 will do that better than the 2.3 but in reality, if that is your primary requirement then the Bronco is likely not the best option. On the other hand, If you have no specific requirements other than to keep costs reasonable, then the 2.3 is likely your better option, (with or without the MT).

When I ordered my Badlands, the relevant requirements in order of priority were cost, off road capability, and performance (speed/power) in that order. As a result, I chose the 2.3 to save the $1,895 for other "capability" related options. Once you know your requirements the answers to these questions become more obvious.

The point is, it depends on your requirements but whatever option you choose, it's a good one if it meets your requirements. Best wishes.
Sponsored