Sponsored

What would I be losing by switching from 2.7 to 2.3 motor?

jflores

Black Diamond
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 FJ Cruiser, 94 F150, 07 Corolla w/almost 340k
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
😂 the reality is that the Bronco is meant to be driven slow. If you wanted a fast car there are so many others that make a lot more sense. If I hit 90+ in my Wrangler 4xe my immediate thought is that this thing is NOT meant to be driven like this even if you can.
Yeah which is one of the reasons why I decided I didn’t need the 2.7. Everyone has to decide for themselves what they want.
Sponsored

cardad

Raptor
First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Wrangler 4xe, Rivian R1T, Ioniq 5
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You lose your ability to establish eye contact with the opposite sex.
That’s hilarious. No one cares if you have a bigger engine. If a Rivian, 4xe, or Hummer EV ever pulled up next to you your foot would suddenly go limp on your macho pedal… My 4xe does laps around tiny wiener drivers of trucks all day long so respect yourself for something other than what you have under the hood…

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Need a little help
I have 2022 outerbank on order with 2.7 Motor
What would I be losing if switch to 2.3 motor
What you lose: 43 cubic inches, a pair of turbos that need replacing before 100k miles, 50ish lbs.

But what would you gain:

A few thousand dollars and instead of pretending 43 cubic inches was some massive engine enhancement, you could have a manual transmission and show the world how endowed you really are!

Bonus: the ultimate theft deterrent.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Need a little help
I have 2022 outerbank on order with 2.7 Motor
What would I be losing if switch to 2.3 motor
Most all of the folks here are only talking about the engine. The brakes on the 2.3 are vacuum assist vs electronic assist on the 2.7’s. No one pedal drive with the 2.3.
The 2.3’s brakes are a carry over from the Ranger and have a history of documented long stopping distances, poor modulation along with mushy pedal. Car and Driver called the 2.3 stopping distance concerning and thought the Ranger’s were frightening.
Then there is also been a lot of failure due to the brake system design.
I want the best brakes available in my 4800 pound Bronco.

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was dead-set on the 2.7, but drove a 2.3 before switching to one due to constraints. I was pleasantly surprised with how the 2.3 drove. Switched to one to get a build date and got one, only to have this chip shortage screw up my plans. If I were going to be doing a lot of wheeling, I'd probably insist on getting the 2.7, but the 2.3 drives just fine. And this was on a 4-door btw.

Sponsored

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I took delivery of my 2.3 auto basesquatch and it has plenty of power. I just drove it to my lake house at 5,200 feet and it went up the mountain with ease. It the 2 door it's faster than you need in everyday driving. As far as off roading goes, that is all about gearing and has little to do with brut power.

Last edited:

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

About 150 lbs.

Seriously, I don’t really see the 2.7L as anything worth going for. It’s a slightly more power, but burns more gas, cost quite a bit, and adds a lot of extra weight. 300 HP out of the 2.3L is plenty of power.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've driven both and to me the additional torque of the 2.7 is nice for passing, hills, driving in wind, etc. And the upgraded braking system is an improvement over the 2.3l also. But it's a personal preference. Both will be able to be tuned later. I'd rather have more power than I need then find out later I wished I had it.

2.7l has both direct and port injection(2.3l only di) and creates its maximum hp and torque at lower rpms than the 2.3l meaning it doesn't have to work as hard to maximize its power.

I kinda agree that the 2.3l is probably all you need on the 2 doors, but personally I wouldn't want it in the 4 doors especially if squatched and all with the added weight.

I have the 2.7l and will still likely tune it when Ford performance comes out with one.

I have the 2.3l with Ford performance tune in my Ranger Tremor and its been fantastic, but it also weighs less than my bronco and isn't shaped like a box.

But I'm high on both engines and have had good experiences with both in the respective vehicles that they are in.

Last edited:

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

5 pages of great feedback, seems to be tilted towards the 2.3.
I was set on the 2.7 mostly because of the tow use it will get and it being a 4dr. I drove the 2.3 and thought it would be fine for what I do. I have a couple pals on the forum here that have the 2.3 in 4dr BL’s and they both agree that it’s not great at accelerating at highway speeds but also agree that it wouldn’t have swayed them to the 2.7.
I’m just a little over 10k on the 2.7. had it up and down the hills of the blue ridge mountains in Tennessee having an absolute blast, not sure that I would have had the same experience in the 2.3.
I’m a little concerned about the issues with the 2.7, especially where my engine build date was but not enough to regret my decision.
so team 2.7 here but already saving for the 7MT 2.3!
great thread.

Sponsored

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
5 pages of great feedback, seems to be tilted towards the 2.3.
I was set on the 2.7 mostly because of the tow use it will get and it being a 4dr. I drove the 2.3 and thought it would be fine for what I do. I have a couple pals on the forum here that have the 2.3 in 4dr BL’s and they both agree that it’s not great at accelerating at highway speeds but also agree that it wouldn’t have swayed them to the 2.7.
I’m just a little over 10k on the 2.7. had it up and down the hills of the blue ridge mountains in Tennessee having an absolute blast, not sure that I would have had the same experience in the 2.3.
I’m a little concerned about the issues with the 2.7, especially where my engine build date was but not enough to regret my decision.
so team 2.7 here but already saving for the 7MT 2.3!
great thread.
You won't regret your decision for the 2.7l, as I sure haven't. If you're going to tow with it, live in windy environment, live in mtns or hilly terrain, the additional torque is nice to have. 90 lb.- ft is not an insignificant increase.

Last edited:

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I almost bought a Ranger Tremor a couple of years ago, and the 2.3L was awesome in that truck--but it had 31" tires, weighs less, and is much more aerodynamic. Of note, the Ranger forum guys were always complaining constantly about lots of fuel in the oil in the 2.3.

The 2.3 is also fine in the 4 door Bronco--let me put it this way--I would much prefer the Ford 2.3L over the ancient 3.6L naturally aspirated Pentastar in the Jeep JK or JL, or even their new 2.0L turbo.

But I tow regularly, tow offroad, and regularly have a full load of passengers plus a full weight or overcapacity payload. And drive into stiff head winds and cross winds. And occasionally tow over 8k feet, and somewhat more frequently tow through the Kentucky foothills, TN and SC mountains. And I want the Sasquatch.

And so I picked the 2.7 for that reason only, not because I think it's faster, but because I want as much HP and torque as I can get in this Bronco package. With Jeep you either get the ancient Pentastar or their little 2.0L, and if you want more torque you have to step up to the diesel, the mechanically overcomplex 4xe, or the $$$ 392.

The 2.7 fits a sweet spot where you pay a pretty small premium to step up to 400 lb ft of torque.

Both 2.3 and 2.7 are great options. Just get what fits your requirements for the best value for your money.

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I drove both multiple times...I agree there is no comparison.. is 2.3 enough? Maybe...
However the 2.7 is a blast to drive.. almost bought an older 2011 jeep several months ago that had I believe a 3.6 ...it was so ridiculously slow I went and ordered the bronco next day..I didn't order the 2.3 because I didn't want the regret of having enough power for the way I drive! It's not the speed I'm interested in as much as it is the torque...also I will most likely be putting 37s on in future..and roof rack, bumpers.rick sliders...this will take it near 6000lbs. Plus my fat ass!