Why all the hate on the OBX?

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Because it’s a Ford Flex with “bronco” across the grille.
Dude, do you get $5 from someone every time you call the 4dr a "Ford Flex"? LOL.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I like the OBX. I like the painted trim. I think it'll look stellar in two years when it can be ordered with a color matched top.

However, I want the 7 speed, disconnecting sway bar and 4.7 gearing so I'm forced into the Badlands. I tell myself it's all good because I'd end up scratching all that pretty trim.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I keep seeing posters trashing the outer banks trim. Why? I’m not trying to hide that I’m a poser, it’s going to be a daily driver that I take camping in Florida a few times a year. What am I missing?
Some seem to think if it doesn't sit 3 feet off the ground or have at least 37 inch tires and it has body color fender flares, it's not a real Bronco. I don't care, I'm buying an Outer Banks to go to Walmart and Home Depot. I don't need to impress anyone but myself.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I keep seeing posters trashing the outer banks trim. Why? I’m not trying to hide that I’m a poser, it’s going to be a daily driver that I take camping in Florida a few times a year. What am I missing?
I liked OBX, just my personal opinion that the color matched flares and handles don’t look great in many colors. We all have different preferences and perspectives! You do you ?

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think a lot of people are put off by the colored fenders and small tires. But Ford did the right thing by including the OBX as a trim that appeals to folks that are not hard core off roaders. If the look and the quipment work for you, ignore the critics! More options and choices are a win-win. After building the WT, OBX and BL dozens of times, there is practically no price difference between the three with my specifications. The problem for me was in being confined to interiors as there are very few choices from which to choose, and it gets harder when you try to balance the interior and exterior colors. I will probably stay with the OBX because I do not need rock crawling gear and the BL, as much as I like it, has a haloween colored interior with no room for other choices. What appeals to me about the OBX is that it gives me the tech and luxury I expect in a DD and the well equipped offroad equipment I need occasionally. With the SASQ package and steel bumpers and upgraded bash plate, the OBX will be able to do virtually everything offroad that the BL can, minus rocks. To me the OBX as I configured it is absolutely the best of both worlds-again good job Ford! Anyway, buy YOUR bronco and enjoy the heck out of it. As I have said before, there are no bad broncos!!!!!!!

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After skimming several comments I can't bring any new info to this thread but will definitely reiterate some reasons some may choose not to get the OBX:

Most common OPINION about the looks of it I've noticed: some people don't like the body colored flares (me included) but again this is an opinion so who cares

Most common so-called practical reason: it's not as "capable"... which is a bad argument as others have pointed out. It's plenty capable, but apparently in order to be considered "capable" it needs to have MGV, electronic sway bar disconnect, upgraded bash plates, rock rails, heavy duty modular bumper, etc etc... Don't worry your OBX will be more capable than 99% of vehicles on the road

But ultimately as others have pointed out you need to stick with your gut, don't give a s*** what others think, get what you'll actually use, drink a beer and call it a day!

I personally don't want the outer Banks but trust me, if we were friends and you pulled into my driveway in one, I'd be damn excited to have you show me everything about it.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because it’s a Ford Flex with “bronco” across the grille.
Hey, if I had space for three four wheeled vehicles I would have the reserved BD AND a Flex Ecoboost.

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The OBX in AMB with High pkg checks all the boxes for me with mostly city/hwy driving, but the 4 dr def looks off with the tires and flares, the 2 dr actually works though
I’m still back and forth between 4dr BD and the 2 dr OBX...leaning towards BD

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Love the one your with. Ford made different Broncos for each of our needs and wants. Go with the one that puts a smile on your face. I'm going with a FE, but think the Outerbanks is a cool ride.
ies-concept-outer-banks-fishing-concept-1r-jpg-jpg.jpg

skater777

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Opinions are like a$!holes...everyone has one! I'm sure there are many serious off-roaders in this forum, but just as many folks who will mostly be driving to work and dropping their kids off to soccer practice in a $60K vehicle meant to climb rocks.

OBX was my original choice since I like the grill and all of the high-level options, but I do not like the painted fender flares, mirrors, and door handles. There is just too much glossy paint and not enough contrast to balance out the look of the vehicle. I'm going with Velocity Blue, which is a pretty loud color, and it's a little too loud with the flares, mirrors, and handles painted. Not a fan of the 18" rims or the tires.

Badlands all the way for me. It will be the baddest looking off-road vehicle at soccer practice.
Sponsored