Sponsored

What would I be losing by switching from 2.7 to 2.3 motor?

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had the opportunity to test drive the 2.3, but still went with the 2.7 after comparing 'engine notes.' I acknowledge, this isn't an intelligent reason to choose an engine, but the 2.3 does sound like a 4 cylinder, compared to the 2.7's throatiness - which to me sounds a bit more like a V8 through my cabin. Most people won't care or notice, and the power felt very comparable under normal driving conditions.

On a side note, I've noticed a lot of online reviews of the 2.3 still sound very comparable to the 2.7 with the throatiness. That wasn't the case in my experience with the test drive.
Is that sound real? Or is it piped in over the stereo?
Sponsored

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given different needs about what and who I need to haul around, I would have held out for the lower trim 2 door, 2.3 MT Hartop (exact opposite of what I ordered, even though I love mine). I drove that combo the other day, and it really is a different driving experience all around (in a good way). In the end, what do you need vs. want??

PS the eruption green looks amazing in person when its sunny, I was truly surprised.

PPS the reason I test drove that is because mine had just been towed in from blowing the motor. Unfortunately they would not let me keep the 2 Dr as a loaner.... (sad trombone noise).

2021AreaFiftyOneOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is that sound real? Or is it piped in over the stereo?
Good question, I'd also love to know the answer to. If it's piped in through the speakers, would some trims with the 2.3 have it, and others not? I test drove a Big Bend 2.3 and it sounded exactly like a 2.3T 4 cylinder. My OBX 2.7 sounds much throatier than I would expect from a small V6TT.

My father-in-law even complimented the "V8 under the hood." :LOL:

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You would be gaining ground clearance. Apparently there’s something on the 2.7 that hangs down that is not on the 2.3.

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Need a little help
I have 2022 outerbank on order with 2.7 Motor
What would I be losing if switch to 2.3 motor
By my expert calculations, exactly .4 of a motor.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had the opportunity to test drive the 2.3, but still went with the 2.7 after comparing 'engine notes.' I acknowledge, this isn't an intelligent reason to choose an engine, but the 2.3 does sound like a 4 cylinder, compared to the 2.7's throatiness - which to me sounds a bit more like a V8 through my cabin. Most people won't care or notice, and the power felt very comparable under normal driving conditions.

On a side note, I've noticed a lot of online reviews of the 2.3 still sound very comparable to the 2.7 with the throatiness. That wasn't the case in my experience with the test drive.
while I didn’t think the 2.3 was underpowered on my test drive it was just blah. If I put it in sport mode it was better. This was a auto I imagine with the manual it would be better. My loaner also had a lift and 35’s non sas so was not geared well for the tires.

Sponsored

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

After a quick check, I've confirmed...

Ford Bronco What would I be losing by switching from 2.7 to 2.3 motor? 1644598504824

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Man I honestly love the 2.3. Had plenty of power for my needs. Have done some easyish rock crawling and climbing and the power is there. Had a 2.7 in my f150 and honestly feels the same.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a '19 GT w/ the Coyote, a '12 F150 with the Coyote. The Bronco will be my wife's DD - replacing her '17 Mustang 2.3 ragtop. It's plenty of power for a daily. I didn't order the Bronco to tow anything (That's what I bought the F150 for).

I initially wanted a 2.7. We waited to order until we could extensively test drive a Bronco. Test drove a 2 door with dealer added 35" tires, 2.3 and stock 3.73 gears. Plenty of pep and actually snappy in Sport mode.

So we ordered a 2.3 - but I did add 4.27 gears. The cost was less than it would cost me for one gear set - not to mention having to replace it.

lmarchetti

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought the 2.7 and been driving since September. Had I had the experience I have now I would have gotten the 2.3.

Advantages
*2.3 is lighter as it's made of Aluminum, this allows for more cargo weight.
*2.3 allows for the RC hidden winch if you are going LUX this matters as you can keep stock location for sensors.
*2.3 with the Ford power tune will probably make the same HP as the 2.7 but will be lighter.
Rumors have it that a 2.7 with tune may overwhelm the auto transmission
*2.3 does not have the additional frame support on the undercarriage that hangs and catches off-road.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Literally just yesterday I was driving around in my 2.3L and was thinking to myself why would anyone ever buy the 2.7L? What more could it possibly offer?

And then I remembered, this is America. Lotta guys with small hands pretending they have big hands.
Sponsored