First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly that makes some sense - they will likely replace all of the manual Transmission broncos transmissions with the new part # at some point to minimize any liability for longterm damage caused by driving around these rock crushers - with say 30,000 manual broncos out there this will likely take 9-12 months to replace them All before installing in new builds which means it's hit or miss if they would offer it in 2024 especially at the start of the model year. Of course the alternative accounting and management decide this is a lost cause and you have some sort of buyback. We will see, I am enjoying my vehicle for now even if it makes some extra noise and doesn't shift like butter sometimes
IMHO, I do not see a buy back of every MT, what would be gained, they would still have to fix them, then resell, no way would they go to the crusher. Ford has a history, as do ALL manufactures, with problematic issues, some extreme, some not so much. Back in the '70 Ford's imfamos Boss 302 cracked piston shirts, requiring new pistons or short block replacement was a major black eye. Past transmission problems as recently as the Gertag MT82, virtually identical issues - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32828840/ford-mustang-transmission-class-action-lawsuit/

Relax, Ford will make good, they recognize this problem that's a big step forward.
Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They may not update the parts, but I guarantee they will still update the TSB to include 23MY eventually.
That’s my bad — oops! To be clear, my reply was strictly about updating the TSB to list the updated synchro. There’s no reason to do that, so they won’t do it.

I’m skeptical about them including 2023s at this point because they’ve had plenty of evidence pointing towards ‘23s being affected as well. I do agree they absolutely should update it to include them though.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@flip Isn't this your area of expertise? Can you weigh in?
Directed repairs (TSBs, recalls) are non-negotiable when it comes to the dealer getting paid. The dealer could decide to use regular labor operations and replace the part with the current -D ring but chances of it getting charged back or adjusted to reflect the TSB is almost guaranteed.

The question is, what if anything is different between the -C and -D? I could be nothing more than a clerical number change, different material or subtle change in dimensions. I can try to order one of each number but it's likely what I'll get is the -D because they've purged the -C from DOW. If a tech does the TSB, it's likely the parts they get will be the -D and will pay without issue. Like Ducati said, it may take a few days/weeks for them to put a supplement out to reflect the part change.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it would normally have to go to the packager, then be shipped to a parts depot, then be distributed to dealers.

That being said, I work in service, so I don’t typically deal with too much of the parts side of things.
@flip could probably give you a far better idea of what it all means.
Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 1680522990843

130 inbound (don't ask, I have no idea how put a number of days to this). There are 58 of these on order by other dealers either for customer repairs or stock. Backorders will be filled in order of age and warranty status (vehicle off-road/undrivable), lastly stock. Can't imagine there're may stock orders but with RIM, anything is possible.
Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 1680523038059

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

IMHO, I do not see a buy back of every MT, what would be gained, they would still have to fix them, then resell, no way would they go to the crusher. Ford has a history, as do ALL manufactures, with problematic issues, some extreme, some not so much. Back in the '70 Ford's imfamos Boss 302 cracked piston shirts, requiring new pistons or short block replacement was a major black eye. Past transmission problems as recently as the Gertag MT82, virtually identical issues - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32828840/ford-mustang-transmission-class-action-lawsuit/

Relax, Ford will make good, they recognize this problem that's a big step forward.
Hmm, Ford does recognize the problem, that I agree with the TSB and the revisions to the parts. What I have doubts about is Ford making good, yes you linked to the Mustang class-action but Ford has requested to the court for the case to be dismissed because plaintiffs must specifically allege what is defective about their transmissions rather than relying on “conclusory allegations. Further, Ford argues it is not enough to allege only the symptoms of a defect.

Same with the powershift class-action, Ford denied any wrong doing or defect and that did finally come to a settlement and a buy-back but with no acknowledgement from Ford that anything was defective or wrong with the transmissions.

There's plenty of smart people on this forum, shame that in the Mustang class-action that Ford is expecting the customer to pinpoint the exact defect of their product!

Sponsored

Off road enthusiast

Badlands
First Name
Agi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone been able to confirm that the new transmission, MB3Z-7003-E, has been updated with the “D” synchronizing rings?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone been able to confirm that the new transmission, MB3Z-7003-E, has been updated with the “D” synchronizing rings?
No. The new transmission number is still in the very early stages of supersession.
At this point it’s still unclear what the difference between the synchronizer parts are.
It’s going to be a little while before any information comes out about either one probably.

Last edited:

Stlrfan152

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75C5 16Prius 2dr base sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
At this point i dont care about the d or c syncros, im at 13 weeks without my car. I just want to get it back and ill keep it if it makes the noise untill i see a true fix is out. I drove through the dealer parking lot and my car wasnt there and the app cant connect to it so maybe its finally being fixed.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. The new transmission number is still in the very early stages of supersession.
At this point it’s still unclear what the difference between the synchronizer parts are.
It’s going to be a little while before any information comes out about either one probably.
It may be more than synchronizers, requiring a more extensive repair. I'd prefer a new trans over some tech doing a rebuild, not that I do not feel he would be able to do it, more from his experience in having done it. I bought from a small dealer, small shop, I have to wonder, how many transmissions have they rebuilt? If not repaired to exacting standards, will it perform to upwards of 250k miles? If not who then foots the bill? Why do I pick 250k, because I've had three MT vehicles get me to that milestone and then some. A factory sealed transmission gives me more confidence.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It may be more than synchronizers, requiring a more extensive repair. I'd prefer a new trans over some tech doing a rebuild, not that I do not feel he would be able to do it, more from his experience in having done it. I bought from a small dealer, small shop, I have to wonder, how many transmissions have they rebuilt? If not repaired to exacting standards, will it perform to upwards of 250k miles? If not who then foots the bill? Why do I pick 250k, because I've had three MT vehicles get me to that milestone and then some. A factory sealed transmission gives me more confidence.
Yes. It certainly could be more than just new 5/6 synchronizer rings. Everything at this point is still unknown.

Also I can’t say I blame you for wanting a completely new transmission assembly. Unfortunately that is up to the dealer.
Normally when there is a directed repair such as a FSA/TSB/SSM, they aren’t allowed to replace the whole assembly. I know some are getting away with it lately, but they are also opening themselves up to chargebacks, but that’s their problem.

All I’m saying is don’t be surprised if they refuse to order a whole transmission and say they have to do the TSB instead.

Sponsored

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. It certainly could be more than just new 5/6 synchronizer rings. Everything at this point is still unknown.

Also I can’t say I blame you for wanting a completely new transmission assembly. Unfortunately that is up to the dealer.
Normally when there is a directed repair such as a FSA/TSB/SSM, they aren’t allowed to replace the whole assembly. I know some are getting away with it lately, but they are also opening themselves up to chargebacks, but that’s their problem.

All I’m saying is don’t be surprised if they refuse to order a whole transmission and say they have to do the TSB instead.
I get this, just thinking out loud, hoping for a new trans over rebuild. It will be interesting to finally know what the problem is and Ford's fix for ALL involved. Oddly, it was warmer in Northern IL today and my trans was significantly louder than its been.

Stlrfan152

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75C5 16Prius 2dr base sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I get this, just thinking out loud, hoping for a new trans over rebuild. It will be interesting to finally know what the problem is and Ford's fix for ALL involved. Oddly, it was warmer in Northern IL today and my trans was significantly louder than its been.
Eventually the noise doesnt just happen in the cold

Off road enthusiast

Badlands
First Name
Agi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for your feedback! It’s very disappointing that Ford doesn’t provide any updates to Bronco owners with this kind of problem. I remember during the 2.5 years that I waited to get my Bronco, I received several notifications from Ford about rescheduling production of my Bronco at least 4 different times..