First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We're still speculating based on what Ford builds on the same platform, built on the same assembly line. We won't know until we can take apart production vehicles...
Sponsored

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
We're not going to know how conservative Ford was with choosing axles and lockers until people get out there and start breaking things.
This is exactly what I'm waiting for. Hoping to have some insight here from all of you brave early adopters so I know what to spec when we order our MY22.

This thread is incredibly educational for me as I've never owned an all-wheel drive vehicle, nor have I ever owned a truck/SUV.

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi - I agree. Have 2 reservations, one I want as a basic bronco (that's how the 1G were.) A Bronco with an open rear differential is like an ice cream sundae with no whipped cream. It is incomplete. It's like Ford forgot an entire Bronco demographic, the surveyors/code inspectors/park rangers who put the "U" in SUV. My build MSRP difference between Base and BB, only difference being the locking rear differential, is $7k. At this point, with no open source, hands on DIY experience of what's inside the rear axle of Base, and experience of installing both genuine FoMoCo Trac-Loc differentials and good aftermarket differentials - $7k is a bargain. Too many opportunities for surprises, plus you'll have to either buy factory wiring harnesses and a new switch bank with the rear locker switch OR hack something together to power the differential. All that homebrew engineering will kill the warranty on at least the rear axle assembly, and Ford would have a strong case declining driveshaft, transfer case, and transmission warranties if something breaks on a converted part and it locks up the rear final drive.

I am ALL FOR tweaking and modifying old Fords - but the key is old, where you can play with a couple hundred bucks worth of parts from the local U Pull It yard and figure it out - not when fooling with brand new parts none of us have seen before.

Litestorm17

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT 4WD, 06 Focus ZX5 2.5L Swap
Your Bronco Model
Base
They could be doing something Toyota did back in the day. My 99 4Runner doesn't have the RR Diff Lock option, but the rear diff has the provision for the locker solenoid, and the truck has all the wiring already in it for it. All I would need to do is plug in a solenoid and a button.

Something tells me it won't be that easy, but Ford was known to do things like this too. Different platform, but the Focus SVT's were all wired for and had heated seats. The only difference between a heated seat package an a normal one was you got a center console with buttons. If you wanted heated seats, you just had to buy the buttons and cut out the spots for them. Same thing with Hill Descent on the F150's. Buy the button and enable it in ForSCAN and your F150 now has Hill Descent Control. We did this on my roommates 18 F150 STX.

EDIT: Forgot this exists too. Page 4 has quite a few upgraded diff options, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could be added later. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/attachments/bronco-accessory-list-for-dealers-pdf.78434/

Last edited:

Halfsmoke00

Base
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wish we could just get a straight answer out of Ford on this. Since I’m going 2.3 7mt the base would be the best possible starting point. The only other question remaining is how Ford would handle unrelated warranty issues. For instance if the truck eats a turbo it wouldn’t be related to the locker but would they screw you?

I’m still having visions of a perfect base model with aftermarket wheels and 33s and a locking diff. It’s literally all I need.
I wouldn’t do it if it isn't DIO and covered by warranty. I wonder if a locking rear axle assembly from the new ranger will bolt in.

They could be doing something Toyota did back in the day. My 99 4Runner doesn't have the RR Diff Lock option, but the rear diff has the provision for the locker solenoid, and the truck has all the wiring already in it for it. All I would need to do is plug in a solenoid and a button.

Something tells me it won't be that easy, but Ford was known to do things like this too. Different platform, but the Focus SVT's were all wired for and had heated seats. The only difference between a heated seat package an a normal one was you got a center console with buttons. If you wanted heated seats, you just had to buy the buttons and cut out the spots for them. Same thing with Hill Descent on the F150's. Buy the button and enable it in ForSCAN and your F150 now has Hill Descent Control. We did this on my roommates 18 F150 STX.

EDIT: Forgot this exists too. Page 4 has quite a few upgraded diff options, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could be added later. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/attachments/bronco-accessory-list-for-dealers-pdf.78434/
I saw the accessory list and almost got excited, but no option for a locking or limited-slip 3.73. By the time you match the front to the new rear you're more than halfway to just buying the Sasquatch package in the first place.

Sponsored

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We're still speculating based on what Ford builds on the same platform, built on the same assembly line. We won't know until we can take apart production vehicles...
That’s the unfortunate part of the situation is not being able to get a straight answer from them about it before ordering. I’m a late reservation but not sure if anyone with a base model will be looking into this in time for me to switch builds.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ordered base. I am interested to see what kind of traction control ford built into the Bronco. Of course,...nobody has a clue yet.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I saw the accessory list and almost got excited, but no option for a locking or limited-slip 3.73. By the time you match the front to the new rear you're more than halfway to just buying the Sasquatch package in the first place.
It's taken me months of learning and consideration but I've about come to this conclusion as well. My ideal set up would be LSDs without lockers and geared steeper to accommodate 33" tires. The advanced 4x4 i see value in as well.

However, none of that is doable from the factory with a base model. A Big Bend gets you partially there but supposedly the ring and pinion gears will need replacing if there isn't a factory locker in that differential as they're unable to have an LSD bolted in like the Rangers do, so just getting the Sasquatch and maybe downgrading the tire size later on would be best. With the fancy braking traction control, maybe LSDs aren't as important as I'm thinking that they are.

At first I thought the Sasquatch was overpriced but the more I think about it, the safer (no headache or risk) and better value it seems to be.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not for nothing, but has anyone actually asked Ford about the locker combinations or welded ring gears? We say that we don't have a straight answer, but has that specific question actually been asked? It seems extremely specific to come up in one of the Q&A sessions.

My speculation has been based on the knowledge that Ranger takes this approach to the diff structures. The platforms are shared, the axles are from the same supplier and they're processed on the same assembly lines (sharing common processes is huge there). So it all stands to reason, but its all circumstantial.

Also FWIW, it could be as simple as swapping the appropriate parts in, plugging in the locker solenoid to a harness that's already there, and activating it in Forscan. If you can bolt the diff in, then either the Ranger locker or the Bronco locker - which are probably the same - might be all you need.

But, for the record, I was searching the service parts on Tasca Ford's website. The Ranger locker is not listed as a part that is available to order. That doesn't mean it isn't, but it isn't shown. What it shown, however, are different axle shafts for the locking axle versus open. The open uses the same shaft on both sides, whereas the locker has a left and a right shaft. The only reason they'd do that is if the locking diff design forced the side gear splines to be offset (to make room for the locking hardware). This is not uncommon in this business.

That means that there is a different length shaft for each side, neither being the same as the open. So it could also be that not only do you have to buy the locker, the ring & pinion set, but you'd also need axle shafts to make the swap over from basic open. So yeah, it starts to get complicated and pricey if these things are true. :unsure:

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's taken me months of learning and consideration but I've about come to this conclusion as well. My ideal set up would be LSDs without lockers and geared steeper to accommodate 33" tires. The advanced 4x4 i see value in as well.

However, none of that is doable from the factory with a base model. A Big Bend gets you partially there but supposedly the ring and pinion gears will need replacing if there isn't a factory locker in that differential as they're unable to have an LSD bolted in like the Rangers do, so just getting the Sasquatch and maybe downgrading the tire size later on would be best. With the fancy braking traction control, maybe LSDs aren't as important as I'm thinking that they are.

At first I thought the Sasquatch was overpriced but the more I think about it, the safer (no headache or risk) and better value it seems to be.
I have been kicking around similar thoughts, but ended up placing an order for a 4 door Base SAS.I tried talking myself out of the SAS package, but even my rational, pragmatic side failed to do it.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not for nothing, but has anyone actually asked Ford about the locker combinations or welded ring gears? We say that we don't have a straight answer, but has that specific question actually been asked? It seems extremely specific to come up in one of the Q&A sessions.

My speculation has been based on the knowledge that Ranger takes this approach to the diff structures. The platforms are shared, the axles are from the same supplier and they're processed on the same assembly lines (sharing common processes is huge there). So it all stands to reason, but its all circumstantial.

Also FWIW, it could be as simple as swapping the appropriate parts in, plugging in the locker solenoid to a harness that's already there, and activating it in Forscan. If you can bolt the diff in, then either the Ranger locker or the Bronco locker - which are probably the same - might be all you need.

But, for the record, I was searching the service parts on Tasca Ford's website. The Ranger locker is not listed as a part that is available to order. That doesn't mean it isn't, but it isn't shown. What it shown, however, are different axle shafts for the locking axle versus open. The open uses the same shaft on both sides, whereas the locker has a left and a right shaft. The only reason they'd do that is if the locking diff design forced the side gear splines to be offset (to make room for the locking hardware). This is not uncommon in this business.

That means that there is a different length shaft for each side, neither being the same as the open. So it could also be that not only do you have to buy the locker, the ring & pinion set, but you'd also need axle shafts to make the swap over from basic open. So yeah, it starts to get complicated and pricey if these things are true. :unsure:
That's a good idea (to ask Ford about the gears being welded or bolted). While I'd be happy to do so, I don't know enough to understand what to ask in any more detail than I just did. It's worth exploring, and yes it was you that I got that idea from initially! Ha.

I have been kicking around similar thoughts, but ended up placing an order for a 4 door Base SAS.I tried talking myself out of the SAS package, but even my rational, pragmatic side failed to do it.
That sounds very similar to how I think, and overthink, things. The wife just gave the okay so I'll likely get it too.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That sounds very similar to how I think, and overthink, things. The wife just gave the okay so I'll likely get it too.

If the squatch package came with the manual, it would be an easy yes. The lockers, gears, and upgraded front axle are worth it. Instead, I'll take the replace it when I break it approach and run the 34 inch tires I'd plan to run all along. When I'm done, I'll have spent far more than what the squatch package costs, but I'll also have fun doing it along the way. If you don't look forward to working on your Bronco, get the squatch and never look back.

OP
OP
ric42pars

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Explorer, 2008 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, when I started this thread its was a general question on lockers. It has turned into a full on discussion of the technical aspects of many potential options for future Bronco owners to consider. Great information for all to absorb. I think we all have a better understanding to make the decision appropriate to our their situation. Thanks for all the input provided. I myself have order a Black Diamond with rear locker and advanced 4x4. It fits my situation the best but won't rule out a Torsen axle or other for the front axle. I appreciate all the input. Great job all!

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've seen the diagrams and there are no bolts on the carrier/diff without a locker. Unless Ford changes something before production, we're getting a welded ring gear on non-locker models.4

I'm happy to ask someone at Ford Communications though.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've seen the diagrams and there are no bolts on the carrier/diff without a locker. Unless Ford changes something before production, we're getting a welded ring gear on non-locker models.4

I'm happy to ask someone at Ford Communications though.
If you receive an answer from Ford do share it with us here. It'd be appreciated!
Sponsored