Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

on a level playing field, all variables identical, fox should be lower than king. Less shock travel from matrix above. Raptor has longer LCA and different motion ratios so better travel at the wheel. Not same playing field.
I am finding the springs to be the limiting factor more than the shock. Most coilovers are coming to highly sprung to flex in order to prove better on road handling experience. The reason @SS Bronco is getting such good numbers is how little preload he is running.
Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah. Okay. If springs and bump stops aren’t limiting travel. Shocks should provide theoretical maximum. Spring preload is really a modification, isn’t it? Can be adjusted to get more travel in certain loading conditions. Fox should theoretically not be able to outperform king or icon with identical spring compression.

the stock hitachi springs are pretty soft, using low preload and cheap bilstein 5100s may perform fine and not cost much.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Specifications don’t alway play out in the real world. A well broken in suspension is a big factor. I have 11,000 miles on it total, with 5,000 off road. It took 1000 miles in Baja for the fronts to finally flex. This year KOH winner put 1900 miles off road before the suspension was dialed in. I bet next year all the numbers will improve.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Some spring rates for fox and king. I would think preload is adjustable on these? Also different springs can surely be mounted to tailor shock response and travel during various loading conditions. This all of course modifies the coilovers.

Out of the box:

Fox
Front: 16.55 X 3.630, 365lb
Rear: 15.5 X 3.57, 185 LB

King
Front: 16.00” x 3.00x 550lb
Rear: 4.00” x 3.00 500lb / 14.00” x 3.00x 350lb

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Specifications don’t alway play out in the real world. A well broken in suspension is a big factor. I have 11,000 miles on it total, with 5,000 off road. It took 1000 miles in Baja for the fronts to finally flex. This year KOH winner put 1900 miles off road before the suspension was dialed in. I bet next year all the numbers will improve.
Yeah sorry. In real world testing it all compresses and relaxes, springs, tires, etc. Hard to really compare apples to apples. Not trying to add confusion just posting some theoretical shock travel numbers for comparison in case others have not seen this data all in one place.

Sponsored

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Such low numbers... My 4dr JKU went 780 with a very simple Teraflex and Mopar frankenlift.

Just expect to wheel with a tire in the air all the time with a Bronco. It is what it is.
everyone in my crew started calling my Bronco Tripod it spend a good amount of time on 3 wheels. With that said It never failed me ran every obstacle just on 3 wheels. Several jeep people were blown away how well my Bronco did totally stock. 22 4D Badlands

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Subed!!!! :)
:) very interested to see what y’all got coming or currently have too. My group is going to be doing a follow up review as well with some other suspensions such as beltech, RC, Eibach and more.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

you haven't flexed until you 3 wheeled a braptor :p

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
everyone in my crew started calling my Bronco Tripod it spend a good amount of time on 3 wheels. With that said It never failed me ran every obstacle just on 3 wheels. Several jeep people were blown away how well my Bronco did totally stock. 22 4D Badlands
We wheeled with a 2dr badsquatch on a trail with lots of bypasses, but the hard lines can be truly hard. On the "big" one, the fully built JKU on 40's couldn't make it up on this day. But I saw the tricycle in action quite a lot. And yes, with lockers it can typically overcome. It will only be the absolute ragged edge obstacle that needs all 4 tires scratching for traction to make it... pretty rare.

Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We wheeled with a 2dr badsquatch on a trail with lots of bypasses, but the hard lines can be truly hard. On the "big" one, the fully built JKU on 40's couldn't make it up on this day. But I saw the tricycle in action quite a lot. And yes, with lockers it can typically overcome. It will only be the absolute ragged edge obstacle that needs all 4 tires scratching for traction to make it... pretty rare.
Ford Bronco CTI score flex comparison between Sasquatch, Raptor, Icon, Radflo, King suspension IMG_3671

yep pretty much "Escalator" Hell's revenge

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco CTI score flex comparison between Sasquatch, Raptor, Icon, Radflo, King suspension IMG_3671

yep pretty much "Escalator" Hell's revenge
Nice shot! Fortunately escalator (most of Moab actually) has so much rubber down the traction is excellent.