Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

sorry if this has been asked already but are most people using the kicker key to power all 6 speakers, or bi-amp mode for the fronts (which I assume would require running new wire to the dash speakers). I feel like you'd want it to tune each of those front speakers separately (bi-amp), no?

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

sorry if this has been asked already but are most people using the kicker key to power all 6 speakers, or bi-amp mode for the fronts (which I assume would require running new wire to the dash speakers). I feel like you'd want it to tune each of those front speakers separately (bi-amp), no?
I went simple and just used it to power all 6. Looking at maybe replacing the kick panel speakers with Earthquake Sound SWS 6.5X speakers. They are a shallow mount. I have an email out to the company to see if they will fit. Still thinking about getting the JBL soundbar programming.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Still thinking about getting the JBL soundbar programming.
Have you seen this thread? The first post shows the before EQ, linked post shows after. Looks like two simple forscan changes to flatten EQ and send lows to the rear?

Last edited:

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got everything working and mounted. Pink noise setup worked successfully. No gain on the amp, all switches in default. When I put the volume to around 16/17 the speakers get muffled. The speakers are kicker 3 1/2 and 6 1/2. Any ideas why there is speaker muffle?

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Have you seen this thread? The first post shows the before EQ, linked post shows after. Looks like two simple forscan changes to flatten EQ and send lows to the rear?
Nice....thanks!!!

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you run the amp in bi-amp mode it applies a 320Hz high-pass to the dash/amp 1 speakers and a 640Hz low pass to the kick speakers. Below is from the KEY white page.

"If the DSP circuit detects a speaker other than a tweeter only connected to amp 1, it will apply a 24 dB/octave high-pass crossover at 320 Hz to amp 1 and a 24 dB/octave low-pass crossover at 640 Hz to amp 2."
I found this while searching for ways to eliminate the speaker muffle I get since installing the kicker key amp. I thought I should not use bi-amp mode since its just a harness from the stock head unit to the amp. Will enabling bi-amp help? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am a novice with this.

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found this while searching for ways to eliminate the speaker muffle I get since installing the kicker key amp. I thought I should not use bi-amp mode since its just a harness from the stock head unit to the amp. Will enabling bi-amp help? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am a novice with this.
What do you mean by speaker muffle? It’s quieter than expected or something else? Did you use a T-harness? If so which one? Just trying to figure out how you have it wired.

You can run in bi-amp mode with a T-harness, it just needs to be wired to 2 sets of speakers (dash & kicks) instead of all 3 sets (dash, kicks, rear). Doesn’t matter if you are using a T-harness or wired directly to the speakers, it works fine either way.

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What do you mean by speaker muffle? It’s quieter than expected or something else? Did you use a T-harness? If so which one? Just trying to figure out how you have it wired.

You can run in bi-amp mode with a T-harness, it just needs to be wired to 2 sets of speakers (dash & kicks) instead of all 3 sets (dash, kicks, rear). Doesn’t matter if you are using a T-harness or wired directly to the speakers, it works fine either way.
When I put the volume to around 16/17 the speakers get muffled, almost distorted. I turn down the bass and mid-range a bit and it helps but would have thought the kicker key amp would have allowed it to be cleaner at higher volume. The gain is all the way down on the amp.

The dash 4" Kickers have 150hrz bass blockers. The lower panel and back row speakers are also kickers. I am using the T-Harness from plug n play harnesses: https://plugnplaykits.com/products/...y-audio-harnesses-kits?variant=41157659852990

I emailed Kicker support and they said "
The KEY200.4 has a minimum of 4 ohm’s. If the speakers are wired in parallel its 2 ohm’s." - whatever the hell that means lol.

But I believe the T-Harness I am using has all 6 speakers running off the amp if I am not mistaken.

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I put the volume to around 16/17 the speakers get muffled, almost distorted. I turn down the bass and mid-range a bit and it helps but would have thought the kicker key amp would have allowed it to be cleaner at higher volume. The gain is all the way down on the amp.

The dash 4" Kickers have 150hrz bass blockers. The lower panel and back row speakers are also kickers. I am using the T-Harness from plug n play harnesses: https://plugnplaykits.com/products/...y-audio-harnesses-kits?variant=41157659852990

I emailed Kicker support and they said "
The KEY200.4 has a minimum of 4 ohm’s. If the speakers are wired in parallel its 2 ohm’s." - whatever the hell that means lol.

But I believe the T-Harness I am using has all 6 speakers running off the amp if I am not mistaken.
Alright with this setup, you do not want to run in bi-amp mode. Did you run the auto tune setup with the mic? Also what do you have your crossover set to? I would put it at 80hz or 120Hz.

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bi-amped. I ran wiring directly to tweeters I installed in the dash. Sounds pretty good.

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Alright with this setup, you do not want to run in bi-amp mode. Did you run the auto tune setup with the mic? Also what do you have your crossover set to? I would put it at 80hz or 120Hz.
Yes auto-setup with pink noise. happy sound result. I will try the crossover - its not enabled at the moment. Thank you sir!

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes auto-setup with pink noise. happy sound result. I will try the crossover - its not enabled at the moment. Thank you sir!
If the crossover doesn’t help, maybe clear the tune and try again.

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

The dash 4" Kickers have 150hrz bass blockers. The lower panel and back row speakers are also kickers.
The 150 Hz crossovers are an issue, even the top end 4 inch drivers will recommend a 200-300 Hz crossover at 12-24 db per octave, I wouldn’t go below 600 Hz on the Kicker co-axes at a 6 dB per octave crossover (bass blockers).
Sponsored