Sponsored

Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound

TheBuster15

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Regal GS 6Speed, 01 2Dr blazer, 00 Camaro.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know this has been said 1k other times in this thread but I am getting that noise at idle too. It happens when I cold start. I tried the test where you apply pressure to 6th and the noise goes away. My truck has 310 miles on it. I took delivery last Monday. I still love everything about it and it makes my day every time I drive it (other than the noise it makes when I turn it on). I am working with my dealer to get in the queue for a fix.

I know other people are waiting for a recall or a genuine fix other than replacing the scorched synchros, I recommend that you still reach out to the dealer to document that this is happening so that you are protected. This also ensures Ford takes the volume of people impacted by this seriously.
Sponsored

J3D

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I finally got into the dealer yesterday for this issue. They came back and said the 4th & 5th synchro's are bad. Had a multi-page writeup for all the parts that will need to be ordered. And, of course, everything is back ordered. I'm ok with this. Would prefer Ford get this figured out first. One good thing is there's no drivability problems with this issue. I have posted here before. The videos here are exactly what happening to me.
parking lot wheelin' pic...

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 20230122_120306

Mustbeheresomewhere

Badlands
First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevrolet Silverado, 2022 Bronco Badlands 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went ahead and made an appointment for the dealer to look at it. They are booked out until the end of March! Its not a rush since it drives fine and I'm not really satisfied with with the answers that Ford has presented so far. At least I've documented it and now I'll just wait and see what happens between now and then.

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I finally got into the dealer yesterday for this issue. They came back and said the 4th & 5th synchro's are bad. Had a multi-page writeup for all the parts that will need to be ordered. And, of course, everything is back ordered. I'm ok with this. Would prefer Ford get this figured out first. One good thing is there's no drivability problems with this issue. I have posted here before. The videos here are exactly what happening to me.
parking lot wheelin' pic...

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 20230122_120306
They actually reassembled the trans and gave it back to you?

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is an update on mine. Had the transmission replaced at 3700km and drove it for another 1000km it cake back. I thought they were going to do the TSB but ford engineers came to look and are replacing it again....they said it's another couple weeks. I asked if the new one has updated parts of what was wrong and she said yes...for whatever that is worth. This is brutal.

Sponsored

Off road enthusiast

Badlands
First Name
Agi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is an update on mine. Had the transmission replaced at 3700km and drove it for another 1000km it cake back. I thought they were going to do the TSB but ford engineers came to look and are replacing it again....they said it's another couple weeks. I asked if the new one has updated parts of what was wrong and she said yes...for whatever that is worth. This is brutal.
My dealer told me that Ford advised them to do the TSB and will not replace the transmission. I am on the transmission as well, only 7k miles. Very disappointed with FORD MOTORS.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dealer told me that Ford advised them to do the TSB and will not replace the transmission. I am on the transmission as well, only 7k miles. Very disappointed with FORD MOTORS.
I am in Canada so unsure if rhey are doing things different ?

fip36

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I brought my 23' Badlands in for the transmission noise and they told me after talking with engineering that they need to replace the transmission and it will be 2-3 weeks until parts arrive.
that's not too bad a wait if you able to keep the car till parts arrive. for me, it took 5 weeks to be seen. but once I did last week, they IDed the problem and got Ford on the same page re full replacement. took 1 week for trans to arrive and they just called to say I can pick it up. fingers crossed...

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
that's not too bad a wait if you able to keep the car till parts arrive. for me, it took 5 weeks to be seen. but once I did last week, they IDed the problem and got Ford on the same page re full replacement. took 1 week for trans to arrive and they just called to say I can pick it up. fingers crossed...
No it's been there for 3 weeks already...

Turn around on the first replacement was a week but demand has gone up...

J3D

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
They actually reassembled the trans and gave it back to you?
No, No...
Not sure what they did, but they defiantly didn't pull anything apart. Dealer only had it for a few hours.

Sponsored

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I picked up my '23 BD 2 days ago. Noticed it yesterday at 132 miles. I was really hoping this wouldn't hit mine being in Texas and the warm weather.

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, No...
Not sure what they did, but they defiantly didn't pull anything apart. Dealer only had it for a few hours.
Interesting they said 4th and 5th when TSB says 5th and 6th, that’s why I thought they had torn it down.

fip36

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No it's been there for 3 weeks already...

Turn around on the first replacement was a week but demand has gone up...
Damn. I guess I was lucky things lined up the way they did. I'll let everyone know what I learn after I pick the car up in the AM.

Classic28

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I heard my noise during the test drive at 26 miles. Keep in mind I had read about the noises on here and was looking out for it. I turned to my wife and said well there’s the transmission noise and she just shook her head and laughed lol.

J3D

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting they said 4th and 5th when TSB says 5th and 6th, that’s why I thought they had torn it down.
Yea, I did mention that to the service writer. All I got was "that's what the tech said."
I will reach out to the dealer to see how they came up with this diagnosis. If anyone has a copy of the TSB, can you post or repost here please. Would like to put eyeballs on it so I can sound somewhat literate when talking to the techs.
Sponsored