Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Basically, you're looking for it to form a seal between the panels- shouldn't really get stuck on top of the other panel. It's not actually applied on the two bumps- it's on the perpendicular surface that comes vertical from the bumps.
got it, that’s what I figured what you meant after I reread your post. Appreciate your response!

original placement
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please F44A32DD-9E99-4B11-9A35-DF0FE54A1B66

new placement
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please 9D555AB1-1565-4169-965B-F4EEB138437E
Sponsored

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak 4Dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
got it, that’s what I figured what you meant after I reread your post. Appreciate your response!

original placement
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please 9D555AB1-1565-4169-965B-F4EEB138437E

new placement
Hope that helps! You can also experiment with the other seal if it’s better. I was thinking of trying one of the softer seals to see if it fit less snug.

Squatch Parade

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Do you mind downloading a decibel meter app and do a couple quick measurements? I’m curious how quiet it’s supposed to be when done properly.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

original placement

new placement
This looks like the same placement to me? What am I missing here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you mind downloading a decibel meter app and do a couple quick measurements? I’m curious how quiet it’s supposed to be when done properly.
I'll do this- should have done it pre and post... oh well. I was at the dealer today, and they were a bit surprised to see how seamless everything now appears.

firefox33

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, we know these are Built Wild... but my wife didn't appreciate it sounding like a hurricane everyday. Who wouldn't want to hear the subtle guitar, bass, drums and notes of your favorite music on the sound system for which you paid? After reading 4+ threads and looking at various modifications people made, I decided to create a single guide here of everything I did to reduce the interior noise. The ideas are not all my own, and credit is due to those individuals whose brilliance came first. Shoutouts to some of those brilliant individuals- jlatigo, mountainbronco, Geo2 and more that I can't put my finger on.

My family says it's significantly quieter now, and I tend to do whatever they say. Hope this helps enhance your ride!

Total cost is about $75. Total install time is ~1 hour if your hard top is already off. If it's not off, what are you waiting for?

Specs
  • 4 Door- most of the below applies to both 2 and 4 door models
  • Wildtrak, Sasquatch
  • MIC Hard Top

Grocery List
(These are not affiliate links. I don't receive anything from you clicking on them!)
  1. KX Automotive Universal New Weather Stripping EPDM Rubber Seal Strip D-Shape (20')
  2. Duck Brand Self Adhesive Foam Weatherstrip Seal for Extra Large Gaps, 3/4-In x 1/2-In (1 roll)
  3. KX Automotive Universal D-Shape Door Seal 0.47" Height X 0.55" Width Weather Stripping (10')
  4. Automotive Weather Stripping Door Window Rubber Seal Strip Z Shape (Buy the "Z" Shape- you only need about 3' of this, so you'll have a lot left over)
  5. Armacell 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Rubber Self-Seal Pipe Wrap Insulation (You need 2 of these)

General Install Notes
  • Clean all surfaces before attempting to stick the adhesive
  • Let the adhesive bond- i.e. flex your muscles and secure firmly!
  • Use a regular scissors to cut things to length- most are approximate, and size doesn't matter as much (right?). The Z Shape strip is more visible, and you probably want to measure (hint, 15.5").
  • Some seals are hidden, and some are visible... take your time. If you screw up, cut a new strip. ;)

From the front of the vehicle working to the back...

Windshield
  • In the front channel, adhere #1 in the Grocery List inside the full length of the channel.
  • Cut 4 short strips of #2 and stick them 2 each, side by side, vertically in the ends of the channel.
  • All of this is hidden with the top on. With the top off, it will either look factory installed or like a small kid used the scissors if you don't cut straight. I have both results.

Front Panels
  • Use the #1 stripping for all of these.
  • Primary guidance is to adhere the middle strip that goes on the Driver’s Front Panel to the slightly raised portion of the roof. Don’t adhere it to the top/roof section as it won’t allow the panel to close enough. It also makes for a cleaner look if you install on the raised portion.
  • The two strips that face the windshield are not visible. The strip that runs between the two panels is minimally visible.

Mid Panel
  • Secure #3 along the length of the mid panel. This is the curved side of the panel that faces towards the back.
  • Snuggle the stripping right along the edge and you'll look like a pro. This is visible from the inside once installed.
  • Super easy, right?

Rear Panel
  • This is the fun one and makes a big sound impact!
  • The picture is probably the best explanation of what goes where.
  • I'm not sure if the top most #3 install is needed- and I forgot to take another picture of it properly adhered. It basically curves along a small section on top. I had some extra stripping, so I used it.
  • The small square of #2 goes on top of a similar, but thinner material that Ford already has in that same place.
  • The Z Shape #4 is great stuff, and I think makes the exterior even look a little sleek (no one ever described a Bronco as sleek, right?). I'd measure this one and cut accordingly- I did 15.5". Adhere it right along the edge of the panel. This helps with wind noise by sealing the gap between the frame of the Bronco and the rear panel.
  • This is not visible except for #4 (Z Shape stripping).
Interior View:

Exterior View:

To Pool Noodle or to Wrap Your Pipe
  • I saw various opinions on which material worked best, which ones disintegrated in the elements, how to secure, etc.
  • I decided to use the rubber Armacell pipe wrap - #5 on the Grocery List. It comes in a 6’ length, and I left it as-is.
  • I peeled off the self-adhering tape and stuck it to itself.
  • Rather than figure out how to secure it with the top off and/or how to not make it look bad… I decided I’d simply lay it in the roof gutter when I put the hard top on. Otherwise, it will sit in storage in my garage if the top is off.
  • We’ll see if it lasts- easy and inexpensive to replace.

So that's about it. I suggest ordering everything and installing all at once when you have the roof off vs string betting the process.

Happy Sound Dampening!
Again thanks for the outstanding post and documentation. I have purchased all of the material and intend on installing it all soon. Not ever having the rear panel removed, I’m a little concerned about properly installing all the tubing on that section. I’m assuming there are changes in the surface levels to assist in determining where these are to be placed.
Thanks

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did all of these mods on Sunday, hopped on the highway for 20 minutes on Tuesday and noticed a real difference talking on the phone, very pleased.

Was on the highway yesterday for about two hours and the below happened. Not quite sure what to do to make sure that z-strip adheres to the rough MIC texture better. Maybe glue it?

20220922_165518.jpg

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did all of these mods on Sunday, hopped on the highway for 20 minutes on Tuesday and noticed a real difference talking on the phone, very pleased.

Was on the highway yesterday for about two hours and the below happened. Not quite sure what to do to make sure that z-strip adheres to the rough MIC texture better. Maybe glue it?

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please 20220922_165518
Based on what I can roughly see- wondering if you can get it tucked "behind" the window vs overlapping- maybe the wind caught it? I also was wondering if it would come off. Mine, though, is "behind" the middle piece so wind doesn't catch it.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on what I can roughly see- wondering if you can get it tucked "behind" the window vs overlapping- maybe the wind caught it? I also was wondering if it would come off. Mine, though, is "behind" the middle piece so wind doesn't catch it.
When I redo it I will see if it will tuck behind.

Sponsored

braften

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco. goodbye accord, you served well
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody tried any decibel measurements yet?

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody tried any decibel measurements yet?
I have the bestop sunrider and did some of the mods and got around 78 on my Iwatch db meter on the freeway. No idea what it was before. But it was louder.

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did all the mods except the z shape which is completely useless since you have 4 layers of rubber behind, plus it won’t stick over time.

I did decibel testing and got after mods 68db at 70mph and 70db at 80mph.
One review online and one video measured in a First edition both 72db at 70mph in theirs, so it looks like it’s a good improvement.

The one thing I don’t like is that all the top panels are not very flush anymore, they stick out a bit and everything was very tight to close. I did place everything correctly unlike the other guy above so that’s not the issue.
I am worried for water intrusion due to this, and for wear on the latches over time.

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did all the mods except the z shape which is completely useless since you have 4 layers of rubber behind, plus it won’t stick over time.

I did decibel testing and got after mods 68db at 70mph and 70db at 80mph.
One review online and one video measured in a First edition both 72db at 70mph in theirs, so it looks like it’s a good improvement.

The one thing I don’t like is that all the top panels are not very flush anymore, they stick out a bit and everything was very tight to close. I did place everything correctly unlike the other guy above so that’s not the issue.
I am worried for water intrusion due to this, and for wear on the latches over time.
I'll do some decibel readings soon.... I took my top off as the weather is great here right now. Feel free to send any pictures of the panels that are not flush. Mine are completely flush.

firefox33

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I only have item 5 installed and the non scientific reading on my iPhone app is 78-80dbs at 75mph. Bronco is a 4dr stock OB, non SAS., 2.3.
Sponsored